Is Jagr too slow now? (-4 on 4 goals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
-4 tonight. Most of the plays were because he couldn't catch up to the goal scorer. Is he too slow for his position or are the Stars just the fastest team in the NHL, and he will be OK against other teams?

To be fair the Stars schooled my Ducks last post-season with their speed. But I couldn't help but notice Jagr not keeping up to the goal scorer. Which is crazy because Jagr use to be the fastest player in the league! I know he is 42 but Teemu at that age had less skill but was still pretty fast. Jagr has much more skill but his speed has gone down a lot.

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
...or he could just sign with the Blues and revitalize his career like Brodeur.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
-4 tonight. Most of the plays were because he couldn't catch up to the goal scorer. Is he too slow for his position or are the Stars just the fastest team in the NHL, and he will be OK against other teams?

To be fair the Stars schooled my Ducks last post-season with their speed. But I couldn't help but notice Jagr not keeping up to the goal scorer. Which is crazy because Jagr use to be the fastest player in the league! I know he is 42 but Teemu at that age had less skill but was still pretty fast. Jagr has much more skill but his speed has gone down a lot.

He never was.

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012

I don't remember Jagr ever being all that fast, or at least I don't remember him really displaying great speed. He was great with his body to protect the puck and was always great with possession. Admittedly, I didn't watch him in the early- and mid- nineties and he registers as a capital in my mind.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Jagr was pretty fast his first few years, but he bulked up quite a bit in the mid-90s. I wouldn't say fastest in the league by any means though. As for now, he still looks pretty good in the offensive zone. I don't think he'll fall off quite as quickly as Selanne seemed to, simple because Selanne's speed and shot were so important, and those are likely going to go faster than Jagr's ability to stickhandle and shield the puck with his body to set up in the zone. His points are down, but he's not exactly on the best team to put up the numbers. He is going to get burned a bit by being a down low player who isn't fast, and I wonder how useful he'd be to a true contender because of that, but he's still a solid player for a team like Jersey.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Stayed 1 year too long, just like Selanne.

But it's hard to retire after a very good season.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Jagr's played well this season, and I don't think he's slower than he's been the last few years. Are we really going off a single game and using +/- to justify that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->