Is Jack Eichel better than Auston Matthews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
There’s a huge tidbit of info that I think should be mentioned beyond head to head as eichel is the all time leading scorer against the maple leafs in goals per game, passing ovechkin last year) so head to head he s certainly better their have even been games where he’s taken the puck literally off Matthews stick who was behind his own net before he dances around two men and shoved it past Freddy.

That tidbit is this- Eich never gets a shift off. What I mean is he’s never had a shift in his career against a bottom pairing d unit, because of the lack of centees I mean sobotka was the second line center last year during eichels rampage 17 game 15g16a 31pts plus 20 streak that lasted over a month and ended due to an illness. I mean there staal now but he’s older and eichel isn’t even 100 percent this year so it’s hard to see how that will help yet but it should he’s still doing quite well despite playing with a bit of an injury pts wise

But overall I mean before this year he’s always playing against Jones and Hedman and peirangelo and Ceci (jokes) and I’m not saying Matthews has it easier persay but having Kadri/bOzak- kadri JR or just JT in general makes Matthews get those instances where he may face a weaker pair, that almost never happens with eichel , so when people talk about ice time, PP time, c just remember that it’s not just the lack of talent with its that he plays against the best of the best almost all the time He’s out there .

anyway....Why is this still going I thought we mostly agreed like a dozen pages ago, that both players are the two top American centres and will be for awhile and both should Be top five centres for years , eichels better at skating ,transition/playmaking, driving the play and if even say consistency ( barely) and Matthews is bêtter at scoring goals, clutch play, face offs winning more games and two way player even tho jack has improved there Both have insane vision, iq and hands, both can be bad Defensively at times but they’ve both improved there too, it’s a myth that they’re bad anymore they both backcheck a lot but when they don’t (since. It’s expected with who they are and what they make) it gets highlighted.

people can have their favourites, no one should offended by any person saying either one since they’ve always been so close in points per Game even before the NHL

Last edited:

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
There’s a huge tidbit of info that I think should be mentioned beyond head to head as eichel is the all time leading scorer against the maple leafs in goals per game, passing ovechkin last year) so head to head he s certainly better their have even been games where he’s taken the puck literally off Matthews stick who was behind his own net before he dances around two men and shoved it past Freddy.

That tidbit is this- Eich never gets a shift off. What I mean is he’s never had a shift in his career against a bottom pairing d unit, because of the lack of centees I mean sobotka was the second line center last year during eichels rampage 17 game 15g16a 31pts plus 20 streak that lasted over a month and ended due to an illness. I mean there staal now but he’s older and eichel isn’t even 100 percent this year so it’s hard to see how that will help yet but it should he’s still doing quite well despite playing with a bit of an injury pts wise

But overall I mean before this year he’s always playing against Jones and Hedman and peirangelo and Ceci (jokes) and I’m not saying Matthews has it easier persay but having Kadri/bOzak- kadri JR or just JT in general makes Matthews get those instances where he may face a weaker pair, that almost never happens with eichel , so when people talk about ice time just remember that it’s hot just the lack of talent with its that he plays against the best of the best almost all the time He’s out there .

anyway....Why is this still going I thought we mostly agreed like a dozen pages ago, that both players are the two top American centres and will be for awhile and both should Be top five centres for years , eichels better at skating ,transition/playmaking, driving the play if even say consistency barely, and Matthews is bêtter at scoring goals, clutch play, face offs winning more games. Both have insane vision, iq and hands, both can be bad Defensively at times but they’ve both improved there too, it’s a myth that they’re bad anymore they both backcheck a lot but when they don’t (since. It’s expected with who they are and what they make) it gets highlighted.

people can have their favourites, no one should offended by any person saying either one since they’ve always been so close in points per Game even before the NHL
Like I've already posted, both Eichel and Matthews have a Quality of Competition rating of 29.5 so your tidbit is moot.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I was simply saying if Buffalo wants to get better and into playoff contention they need to finish higher than 23rd overall which is their best season since they drafted Eichel. So I was just stating what the standings were because those numbers don't lie.

That’s some brilliant observations there.

Eichel did make Buffalo significantly better when he joined the team I believe they improved my something like 20 pointed in the standings, I don’t see why this where his team has ranked crap is being brought up I mean it’s a team game, it’s it really not his fault at all just like it’s not Matthews fault that he hasn’t won more series then eichel. As they are tied.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Marner also has more career assists than Eichel.

As of right now Marner has 212 and Eichel has 206.

That's also with Eichel's rookie season starting in the 2015-16 Season and Marner's rookie season starting in the 2016-17 Season, even though they were both selected in the 2015 Draft.

YOU do realize that benefits marner that he didn’t play in 15_16 he got another year to develop while eichel got fed to the wolves .....he didn’t have to play his draft year did he? Marner plays for a team that scores 70 more goals doesent he? Marner always plays with an elite player doesent he? Marner is no where near as good as eichel is he? Eichel had to always play against the top defenders but marner has it easy against second or their pairing down as the first pair usually cover Matthews don’t they?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s some brilliant observations there.

Eichel did make Buffalo significantly better when he joined the team I believe they improved my something like 20 pointed in the standings, I don’t see why this where his team has ranked crap is being brought up I mean it’s a team game, it’s it really not his fault at all just like it’s not Matthews fault that he hasn’t won more series then eichel. As they are tied.
However in the 2017-18 Season with Eichel the Sabres finished 31st overall, so wouldn't that be considered a setback?

Although it did give them the best odds in the draft lottery and they finally won the 1st pick and selected Rasmus Dalhin.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
However in the 2017-18 Season with Eichel the Sabres finished 31st overall, so wouldn't that be considered a setback?

Although it did give them the best odds in the draft lottery and they finally won the 1st pick and selected Rasmus Dalhin.

Why would that year matter, we’re talking about the teams one season before and then with him. He is not responsible for every season afterward, (and don’t state the obvious I know why you put that but what I’m saying is we are talking about the year before the guy was there and then with him afterward) but dude....you’re honestly grasping at straws right now to try and make everything bad about Buffalo go on jack because you just can’t take that he’s as good as Matthews for some reason. Your points usually are always irrelevant and I’m trying to be nice. This is a team game. How many times must that he repeated?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
YOU do realize that benefits marner that he didn’t play in 15_16 he got another year to develop while eichel got fed to the wolves .....he didn’t have to play his draft year did he? Marner plays for a team that scores 70 more goals doesent he? Marner always plays with an elite player doesent he? Marner is no where near as good as eichel is he? Eichel had to always play against the top defenders but marner has it easy against second or their pairing down as the first pair usually cover Matthews don’t they?
My point was you would think that Eichel playing 1 extra year before Marner made his NHL debut would have more career assists, since he has more career goals and total points.

Although that can still happen since Marner only has 6 more total career assists than Eichel.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
My point was you would think that Eichel playing 1 extra year before Marner made his NHL debut would have more career assists, since he has more career goals and total points. Although that can still happen since Marner only has 6 more total assists than Eichel.

NO. Marner got another year to develop. Marner always plays with an elite player. Marner always plays on a team that scores a way more goals then eichels team. Marner gets to play against defensemen that aren’t always the best pairing due to having the Matthews line or JT line (whatever line markers not on) so he can rack up assists like nothing or go on Power play with Reilly Matthews Tvares assists come eAsy least...I’m surprisd actually he only has six more assists when you consider all these things. Eichel had more points, more goals, on teams that score
Much lower, he’s in a different tier.

quit trying to turn this into marner vs eichel because you know eichel is as good as Matthews and you can’t stand it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why would that year matter, we’re talking about the teams one season before and then with him. He is not responsible for every season afterward, (and don’t state the obvious I know why you put that but what I’m saying is we are talking about the year before the guy was there and then with him afterward) but dude....you’re honestly grasping at straws right now to try and make everything bad about Buffalo go on jack because you just can’t take that he’s as good as Matthews for some reason. Your points usually are always irrelevant and I’m trying to be nice. This is a team game. How many times must that he repeated?
Since the goal for the Sabres and this applies for any NHL team is to get better, I'm sure when they finished last place overall with Eichel is something they didn't want to happen. I'm sure as a Sabres fan yourself you didn't want to see that considering they were last place overall in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 Seasons.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Since the goal for the Sabres and this applies for any NHL team is to get better, I'm sure when they finished last place overall with Eichel is something they didn't want to happen. I'm sure as a Sabres fan yourself you didn't want to see that considering they were last place overall in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 Seasons.

What’s your point? That I didn’t want my team to finish dead last despite them having eichel? Crosby’s team finished dead last. A few years ago mackinnons team finished dead last. Also mcdavid the best player in the world has only been in one playoff year with DRAiSAITL if we exclude last years tournament that took more in. Do you see how this is a team game? He’s sitting on the bench two thirds of a game. And yet Matthews still had as many series wins as eichel? It’s a team....game

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Jack isn't even ppg. Players on garbage trams typically score more points than on a good team. Not sure what the debate is.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Jack isn't even ppg. Players on garbage trams typically score more points than on a good team. Not sure what the debate is.

Like who? LOL most of the leading scorers in the league play for goood teams, nice try. Notice how eichel finished 8th I harr voting due to the abil ity he has despite who’s around him and before he went down to injury for a couple weeks was the only guy in the top 6 in scoring who didn’t have an elite player around him other then Mackinnon?

oh and yeah, eichels so far off Matthews PPG status, nice logic.

Speaking of PPG? Eichels better then Mackinnon there. Matthews and eichel tied in PPG in 17-18 and even last year. Eichels got many advantages to his game better then Matthews, maybe there’s a debate there or the fact Mathews gets to play against easier defenders since jd is there or kadri and so on...Buffalo had staal now but before last year he only had sobotka and li the league up for a month was first on offensive possession and top theee in zone entries and transition russhes, tsn panel even said Matthews was
Invisible for half a dozen games while eichel scored for 17 straight. Eichel literally is going to be PPG before this season ends.

the only thing Matthews is conclusively better at is scoring goals and even eichel is catching up there look at last season totals. Ps- eichels had over 30 assists on a low scoring team every season he’s played while Matthews on high scoring team has had just over thirty assist once when he had 32, and a lot of those seasons eichel played wel under 67 games racking up those assist he’s gotten over 200 in his career and 100 of those are The past two seasons alone.

you acting like there’s no debate is the only question actually, but maybe your right, considering more people think eichel is better. Maybe there is no debate.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
So if Mathews went to Sabres in exchange for Eichel his points should explode. How many we thinking? 110-120?

Also Matthews totals would go down on Buffalo. He’s cracked thirty helpers once on a high scoring Toronto team (eichel in limited games has gotten over hat in every single season on a lower scoring team) eichel even is catching up on goals.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Like who? LOL most of the leading scorers in the league play for goood teams, nice try. Notice how eichel finished 8th I hat voting and before he went down to injury for a couple weeks was the only guy in the top 6 in scoring who didn’t have an elite player around him other then Mackinnon?

oh and yeah, eichels so far off Matthews PPG status, nice logic.

Speaking of PPG? Eichels better then Mackinnon there. Matthews and eichel tied in PPG in 17-18 and even last year. Eichels got many advantages to his game better then Matthews, maybe there’s a debate there or the fact Mathews gets to play against easier defenders since jd is there or kadri and so on...Buffalo had staal now but before last year he only had sobotka and li the league up for a month was first on offensive possession and top theee in zone entries and transition russhes, tsn panel even said Matthews was
Invisible for half a dozen games while eichel scored for 17 straight. Eichel literally is going to be PPG before this season ends.

the only thing Matthews is conclusively better at is scoring goals and even eichel is catching up there look at last season totals. Ps- eichels had over 30 assists on a low scoring team every season he’s played while Matthews on high scoring team has had just over thirty assist once when he had 32, and a lot of those seasons eichel played wel under 67 games racking up those assist he’s gotten over 200 in his career and 100 of those are The past two seasons alone.

you acting like there’s no debate is the only question actually, but maybe your right, considering more people think eichel is better. Maybe there is no debate.

Leon and Conner leading the league on garbage teams are good examples from last year. Nether would get to chase the individual awards if their team wasn't trash.

You can say whatever you want about specific years but the simple fact is, Matthew's produces more on a better team. He could play for Arizona and pad his stats (and maybe he will in a few years) but until then he contributes to a team with more competitive ice time.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Leon and Conner leading the league on garbage teams are good examples from last year. Nether would get to chase the individual awards if their team wasn't trash.

You can say whatever you want about specific years but the simple fact is, Matthew's produces more on a better team. He could play for Arizona and pad his stats (and maybe he will in a few years) but until then he contributes to a team with more competitive ice time.

You're right. If McDavid were in Toronto he'd have less points and if Matthews as in Edmonton he'd win the art ross.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
giphy.gif

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Also Matthews totals would go down on Buffalo. He’s cracked thirty helpers once on a high scoring Toronto team (eichel in limited games has gotten over hat in every single season on a lower scoring team) eichel even is catching up on goals.
Actually Matthews has had 30+ assists two times in his career.

In the 2018-19 Season he had 36 assists in 68 games played.

In the 2019-20 Season he had 33 assists in 70 games played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->