Is it winning or money that counts?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I'm not sure what the issue is.

Maybe the season is wearing on them
Maybe the goalies aren't making those extra 2 or 3 saves
Maybe 2 of the top 4 D are injured

You can't prove they don't care in any way, why because they don't hit ? give me a break.

Good thing is they have a lot of professionals to figure it out.
CONSPIRACIES!!!!

How dare you cite such conspiracies.
What's next, the earth is flat?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Other than McDavid (who scored 100 points before signing his contract, not (lol) 69), those are all ufa contracts. A complete ****ing joke.

Regardless, I thought 11.6 is higher than 9.5 (ovy, Malkin)? And 10.5 (toews, Kane)? Now that's not what matters? How consistent of you.

You're just spinning everything all around to try and rationalize that abomination of a contract.

I brought up the % of cap to prove a point that you are nitpicking.

You honestly don't even read other peoples post.

Are you just a robot troll or something ?

Reactions: Leafidelity

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
CONSPIRACIES!!!!

How dare you cite such conspiracies.
What's next, the earth is flat?

Big surprise the cap lock is stuck again. I guess that first word means more.

You honestly think it makes more sense that the team is "pissed off" that these guys got paid then injuries, slight declines in play and tiredness ?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I brought up the % of cap to prove a point that you are nitpicking.

You honestly don't even read other peoples post.

Are you just a robot troll or something ?
I'm following YOUR argument. 11.6 is higher 10.5
The end.
That is YOUR argument.

If you can't stay consistent, then that's on you.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Big surprise the cap lock is stuck again. I guess that first word means more.

You honestly think it makes more sense that the team is "pissed off" that these guys got paid then injuries, slight declines in play and tiredness ?
I'm speculating that it maybe created locker room problems. Locker room problems aren't some rare mythical thing. It's very real, and has happened to many teams in the past.
One of your theories was "the leafs are tired, but all of the other teams aren't for some reason". I think my theory is more plausible.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I'm speculating that it maybe created locker room problems. Locker room problems aren't some rare mythical thing. It's very real, and has happened to many teams in the past.
One of your theories was "the leafs are tired, but all of the other teams aren't for some reason". I think my theory is more plausible.

That's called an opinion which I clearly stated you are entitled to.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I'm following YOUR argument. 11.6 is higher 10.5
The end.
That is YOUR argument.

If you can't stay consistent, then that's on you.

At this point I have to assume you are purposely not even reading the posts.

Read back, you are completely not following the conversation.
  1. Your post said Matthews is the highest paid (Which is wrong).
  2. I said back if you nitpick facts then you can make anything look different.
  3. In order to illustrate point #2 I brought up the cap hit percentage.
This is so easy to follow but you just don't read the posts or you just choose to throw in some capital letters so other will read your post first.

Honestly you can't be missing this.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I just can't get behind this.

Locker room problems don't get created from guys seeking the most money to look after their families. Hockey is a dangerous game with lots of injuries and players will 100% take the most money available.

Say guys like Kapanen and Johnsson are upset that Matthews/Nylander took the most money possible which may mean their end in Toronto, they best be putting that shit behind them because they need to worry about their own performances so they can get paid.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Both. They are assets at the end of the day. The player wants the best possible salary on the best possible team. Its not their responsibility to give discounts when they could get traded the next day because that discount makes them a more valuable trade asset.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Locker room problems don't get created from guys seeking the most money to look after their families. Hockey is a dangerous game with lots of injuries and players will 100% take the most money available.

Say guys like Kapanen and Johnsson are upset that Matthews/Nylander took the most money possible which may mean their end in Toronto, they best be putting that **** behind them because they need to worry about their own performances so they can get paid.
I tend to agree with Waffles but yup, this makes sense as long as the player doesn't care where they play.

But then, the original premise of the thread is that it's all about the money, isn't it?

Reactions: Al14

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I agree 1000% on this take. If you're Kadri or Reilly...what the hell are you thinking right now? You left money on the table and Willy and Mathews just walked by and said thanks for that and filled their pockets. It is going to kill the team. people are wondering why Kadri is no longer Kadri this year with his "gritty" play...well I think I know why. Why should he kill his body for almost 1/3 of Mathews salary and be told he is so important to the team...really?

All of those other teams that people talk about like Pitts, LA and Chicago actually WON SOMETHING before everyone got bloated deals...so it was a thank you in a sense. They did not get paid before (Malkin and Crosby kind of did before winning cups 2+3) they won a cup. Here we are paying guys like they had won awards and cups. This will kill the team going forward. The morale has got to be pretty low because of this. And, you can't blame Marner for wanting to get paid now that everyone else has his share of the pie. Not one bit.

Not gonna lie part of me wants Marner to leave via offer sheet for the four 1st round picks combined with a Matthews to Arizona trade for maybe 3 or 4 more.
I'g go with Tavares at 11 being the franchise center and no one else makes more than 7 while seeing where those 1st round picks take us.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Not gonna lie part of me wants Marner to leave via offer sheet for the four 1st round picks combined with a Matthews to Arizona trade for maybe 3 or 4 more.
I'g go with Tavares at 11 being the franchise center and no one else makes more than 7 while seeing where those 1st round picks take us.

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum, and it seems that bar gets raised higher and higher every day.

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
This is a fascinating thing to ponder. However, I'm thinking it would only work out if Hunter was the GM.

This route might be the only way Edmonton can salvage anything from the hot mess they've created.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Matthews' agent completely schooled Dubas. It should have been an 8 year deal at that price and he got the inexperienced Leafs GM to do a ridiculous 5 year deal.
Most knowledgeable people thought he should have let Nylander sit the whole season because of his greedy demands. Once again Dubas was schooled.

Add these blunders to the huge loss of McBackup and you can see why many in here wanted Hunter as the GM. In a short period of time Dubas has changed the direction of this team to a downward spiral.

And Dubas is the guy who's supposed to "fix" it this off-season? SMH

Raise your hand if you still think he is the guy? I think Hunter was discriminated against because of age-ism, and was 10X more qualified than Dubas to do the job.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

Say guys like Kapanen and Johnsson are upset that Matthews/Nylander took the most money possible which may mean their end in Toronto, they best be putting that **** behind them because they need to worry about their own performances so they can get paid.
“Money to look after their families”. What a joke. We’re not talkjng about impoverished villagers in Indonesia. We’re talking about utterly elite millionaire athletes.

“Look after their families”. My f***ing God.

Reactions: Al14

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I challenge you to link to a single post that claims all three were team friendly deal.

Saying those deals were market value or fair isn’t that.

The the Tavares deal is team friendly because he was offered more to play elsewhere but took less to come to Toronto. Pretty simple. I personally think it was too early to make the big splash like that but that's a whole other point.

Nylander and Matthews are either market or slightly player friendly.

No one on this board knows what the players asked for. Maybe Dubas did a great job based on their asks we don't know.

The team friendly argument is simple if you think the asking price is a U shaped bell curve

1y x 15
2y x 14
3y x 13
4y x 11.6
5y x 11.6
6y x 13
7y x 14
8y x 15

Presumably the Leafs wanted less and Matthews want more at each level but after negotiations these were the options.

What do you do if your Dubas

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Matthews' agent completely schooled Dubas. It should have been an 8 year deal at that price and he got the inexperienced Leafs GM to do a ridiculous 5 year deal.
Most knowledgeable people thought he should have let Nylander sit the whole season because of his greedy demands. Once again Dubas was schooled.

Add these blunders to the huge loss of McBackup and you can see why many in here wanted Hunter as the GM. In a short period of time Dubas has changed the direction of this team to a downward spiral.

And Dubas is the guy who's supposed to "fix" it this off-season? SMH

Raise your hand if you still think he is the guy? I think Hunter was discriminated against because of age-ism, and was 10X more qualified than Dubas to do the job.

Sparks had a great year in the AHL and due to the age difference between him and McBackup and possibly Dubas thinking the team wasn't going to compete this year anyways maybe he decided to see what he had in Sparks. That move is really overblown on here.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
“Money to look after their families”. What a joke. We’re not talkjng about impoverished villagers in Indonesia. We’re talking about utterly elite millionaire athletes.

“Look after their families”. My ****ing God.

What's wrong with that? They lay their bodies on the line and they want to make as much money as possible doing it.

You don't need to be an impoverished villager to want to be maximally compensated for laying your body on the line.

Surely you can understand where I'm coming from. We're talking about an alleged locker room problem, not pressing starvation issues.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Both Matthews and Nylander signed within the rough ballbark of where they estimated to sign - timer can nitpick over whether each was a few hundred thousand overpaid or should have been a year longer, but that’s t.

The idea being put forth there is this lockeroom conspirancy to milk the team for all its worth isn’t supported by any real evidence.

Young players in this league want to get paid and guess what, so do the older guys (How soon we forgot that 37 Patty Marleau got s nice 18 million dollar retirement package). It’s the nature of pro sports

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Sparks had a great year in the AHL and due to the age difference between him and McBackup and possibly Dubas thinking the team wasn't going to compete this year anyways maybe he decided to see what he had in Sparks. That move is really overblown on here.

Dubas thought they "weren't going to compete"? That's ridiculous. It's the exact opposite. He went all-in with a desperation signing of Nylander and traded away a lot of assets for the underwhelming LHD, Muzzin. That sounds like a guy who completely misread the timeline of this rebuild.

How are those concerns overblown? Our concerns have been 100% justified. McBackup could have been expected to play 20 games (or 1/4 of the season) to rest Freddy this year. We all saw how he wilted the final 25% of last season. It was talked about extensively during the off-season that Anderson needed more rest this year. Sparks had very very little NHL experience and it was a big mistake expecting him to perform in the NHL as well as he did in the AHL. Playing a backup role is also a difficult thing to do for a young player. Dubas f'd up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad