Prospect Info: Is it too soon to discuss the 2021 draft?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If they are picking that far back and there isn't an elite Dman available, then i'd seriously look at selecting a goalie (if worthy of that spot). Or using the pick + prospects/picks for a major trade (22-25 yr old) to help jump start the rebuilding process.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kinda tough because I think at that spot all the LHD and Wallsteadt are gone. BUT a dynamic forward may be available, like Lysell, Johnson. It seems--like often is the case--that the forwards are rising in this half of the year so a dman MAY fall and I'm hoping for Edvinsson!

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I imagine we end up in the 10-14 spot. In that range if Wallstedt is still available he'd be my #1 choice. Without one of the top guys dropping or looking at players ranked around that range I'd personally right now be hoping for one of Lambos or Lysell. One of the three should be available and if not means someone nice dropped.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
If the draft gets push back a year, I wouldn't be shocked to see the cost of a 2021 1st drop significantly.

With many leagues not even playing this year I agree with 1st rounders being more available.
I can see Iafallo getting a first round pick from a contending team at the deadline.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
With many leagues not even playing this year I agree with 1st rounders being more available.
I can see Iafallo getting a first round pick from a contending team at the deadline.

Agree. I don't see this as a means to necessarily get another 18 year old, but they could very easily package a 1st with other assets to get an NHL player.

I think there is a chance Iafallo gets moved if they aren't confident they can sign him on their terms.

Reactions: Mattias

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Not sure how things have shaken out in this seriously warped year(s) The hope is that we can protect as many youngsters as possible...its not going to be easy! The wish is that the fading veterans get jettisoned out,pronto!!! Then give some minutes to see who comes out on top...competition is good

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Another dreaded black hole pick.

What's funny is that a couple of the best first round selections this team ever made were in that black hole position. Dustin Brown at 13 and Anze Kopitar at 11.

Of course, you're not getting a Drew Doughty at those positions, but seeing an Erik Karlsson at 15 or John Carlson at 27, or hell, Shea Weber at 49 in 2003, there is still a possibility to land a top pairing defenseman, so long as they don't blow it on the next Derek Forbort or Colten Teubert.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
What's funny is that a couple of the best first round selections this team ever made were in that black hole position. Dustin Brown at 13 and Anze Kopitar at 11.

Of course, you're not getting a Drew Doughty at those positions, but seeing an Erik Karlsson at 15 or John Carlson at 27, or hell, Shea Weber at 49 in 2003, there is still a possibility to land a top pairing defenseman, so long as they don't blow it on the next Derek Forbort or Colten Teubert.
Of course but they hit twice on how many black hole picks?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
i cannot wait for 10 years from now to see what 4th round pick fell through the covid cracks and should have been a round 1 pick. This draft I think has so much value in the later rounds as far as a player potentially falling due to lack of views. Flip side is first two rounds are not as valuable IMO

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Another dreaded black hole pick.

Meh Kings really aren’t that far out of the 7-10 range. Doubt they can get into the top6 without really falling apart. I think we’ve probably seen the peak from the kings. Power play (and even PK)carried them this far, not sure it was sustainable for the whole year.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Of course but they hit twice on how many black hole picks?

2006: Bernier
2005: Kopitar
2004: Tukonen
2003: Brown

That was it, that was the"black hole." Two of the franchises all time greats, one mediocre goalie, one bust. The only other player the Kings have drafted in the 11-14 just missed the playoffs range was Vilardi.

"Black Hole" is a myth.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
We have the assets to move up the draft board if Yanetti and crew really want a guy.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Going to be an interesting draft. There are a group of higher end Defenceman and a possible franchise goalie that may all go in the top 10. It’s best to not pick for need but being able to grab one of those prospects really fills a need or a hole in our prospect depth. Powers fills our exact need. I just don’t know how the upper echelon guys from this draft compare to previous drafts.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Agree. I don't see this as a means to necessarily get another 18 year old, but they could very easily package a 1st with other assets to get an NHL player.

I think there is a chance Iafallo gets moved if they aren't confident they can sign him on their terms.
Plz trade Yafallo he's no better than a 3rd liner and like Brown drags Kopi-Star down,always has and always will

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Why do you purposely misspell his name out of disrespect? It's alright to want a player gone but doing that just dips into childish territory
I do it because it is not pronounced Iafallo but Yafallo...it is an Italian last name...it pissed me off when names are mispronounced but brick heads and it takes off losing the name to the annuals of history

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->