Prospect Info: Is it too soon to discuss the 2021 draft?

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Look at Byram, the #4 pick two years ago. He’s debuting tonight. I think Dahlin was the last lottery pick D who went straight to the NHL. Picking a dman high will take some time to show returns.

Reactions: KINGS17 and YP44

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Look at Byram, the #4 pick two years ago. He’s debuting tonight. I think Dahlin was the last lottery pick D who went straight to the NHL. Picking a dman high will take some time to show returns.

Owen Power is 6'5, 220 and growing. He's better than Maatta at the very least.

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Power - Walker

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The good side is there are so many, too, and most of them are LHDs as well! Not like even this year when it was basically Drysdale, Sanderson, or forward

Have you liked what you've seen out of Power?

Have not been able to see him play in person for Michigan, saw him last year in USHL and he was special for a player his age in that league.

I think he is a very good prospect, but I think if he were 6'1 instead of 6'5 he might not be getting #1 overall type hype though, but teams obviously salivate over a defenseman that big with his overall ceiling. As far as play as freshman, I'd rank him somewhere between Werenski and Hughes (Hughes was the best d-man I've never seen play at Michigan). Both those players returned and took big steps as sophomores and went onto NHL stardom, so it will be up to Power to do the same. He needs one more year to bulk up a bit more and dominate as a sophomore.

Last edited:

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Pronman just released his rankings on the top 31 prospects and its broken up by tiers.

He has Hughes and Beniers in Tier 1 and then Power and Guenther in Tier 2. Tier 1 is basically all star player and Tier 2 is top pairing/line player.

Surprised Hughes is that high, thought he was minimum 3rd ranked D.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I'll be fighting the irrational urge to attend the first weekend (friend in Dallas already offered up a guest room, and I could scratch the Rangers' new ballpark off the list in theory). Decent chunk of the 2021 draft prospects are late 2002 birthdates and are ineligible for the U18s.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I've thought that as well on Berniers. He was so impressive in the WJs at his age. Physical presence. So what happens if we don't get one of the top 2-3 picks and Berniers is the obvious choice as BPA when we are up? Great problem to have. But dang we don't need yet another center -- defensemen, Goalie or even an elite winger scorer. So do you just take him? Do you trade down? Hope not that since we have enough prospects and we're at the stage of getting the most elite/best player. Trade for an established player? OR even trade up beforehand to ensure we get our desired DMan. It's fun to think about...and we're in a great spot prospect wise no matter what. Still, it's an odd position to be in for an organization to NOT want a top C to fall to them.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
unless the draft is pushed should LA shop the pick? if you are not 100% certain on who you are picking in the top 5 there could be an argument for it.

Personally this far out if LA is in the top 5 I owuld like them to trade back and select the goalie.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I don't see them pushing the draft too far. It seems like a typical NHL "throw it against the wall," type of thing that they do. There are a lot of kids who want to get their pro careers started. It also presents an insurance problem as well if you have a kid who could be a first rounder that ends up getting hurt and killing his value.

Teams rarely trade out of the Top 5.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't see them pushing the draft too far. It seems like a typical NHL "throw it against the wall," type of thing that they do. There are a lot of kids who want to get their pro careers started. It also presents an insurance problem as well if you have a kid who could be a first rounder that ends up getting hurt and killing his value.

Teams rarely trade out of the Top 5.

I agree teams rarely do but maybe this should be the year to explore it.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Always go BPA
Agreed. Therefore, this year I’d support us making a big move if needed to move us into position to get a top D that’s a lock to end up a #1. If it means moving a couple of NHL ready prospects then you do it. The cupboards are full apart from that #1 D and we have more prospects than spots, so we should deal from a position of strength once we better understand what we have and before prospects start losing value.

Mcsorley47

Jan 12, 2021
Yorba Linda, Ca
No certainty as to when the draft will take place as of yet..

Insider Trading: NHL exploring potential draft scenarios - TSN.ca

whenever the draft is held doesn’t matter, this years draft has a lot of good defensemen and we need one. This team has its centers and Gabe will play wing but we need someone to be the guy on defense to carry the load like drew did.

I see drew playing and retiring like Scott Niedermayer did. At a high level until the end. Drew can play until he’s 35-36 as a third pairing while the guy we draft this year continues to be the guy. No one gives up a quality center or top defensemen, that’s why this year is important. I understand the suck and the overall big picture of team.

Reactions: cyclones22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
unless the draft is pushed should LA shop the pick? if you are not 100% certain on who you are picking in the top 5 there could be an argument for it.

Personally this far out if LA is in the top 5 I owuld like them to trade back and select the goalie.

I'd rather try to acquire another first. Take one of Power/Hughes/Clarke/Edvinsson and then draft Wallstedt. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: Mcsorley47

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I'd rather try to acquire another first. Take one of Power/Hughes/Clarke/Edvinsson and then draft Wallstedt. Best of both worlds.

Unless we are trading prospects or Kopitar/Doughty we don’t have the assets to acquire another 1st. Unless Carter catches fire and we can flip him at the deadline.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Unless we are trading prospects or Kopitar/Doughty we don’t have the assets to acquire another 1st. Unless Carter catches fire and we can flip him at the deadline.

If the draft gets push back a year, I wouldn't be shocked to see the cost of a 2021 1st drop significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->