Prospect Info: Is it too soon to discuss the 2021 draft?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
UFAs don't have NTC. They are free agents. But I agree, the longer we are in this losing rebuild, the harder it will become to sign big name UFAs.
Can you think of a UFA willing to sign with the Kings?

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Chaz Lucius? Corey Pronman?? Tony Ferrari??? This almost reads like a Mad Magazine article!

Another center. All I care is if the kid can score and score often. The roster in 5 years will be Doughty and Kopitar in a wheelchair surrounded by centers at every position.

Hey, well...I wanted one of the top big 4 defensemen, but the 4 will be gone by pick 6 or 7. It would have taken about 5 more games of playing MacDermid to get into the top 6.
May have been worth playing him about 5 more games.

I'd take Guenther over Lucius, if Guenther falls to the Kings. Guenther is a wing.

Maybe a team takes Wallstedt in the top 6 and a defenseman drops?

Last edited:

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
If the Kings pick a C in the 1st round for the 5th straight season what does it tell you about the overall outlook for the previous 4?

Either that or they are letting SFKingshomer make the 1st round picks :laugh:

I get the BPA thing, but this is ridiculous. They need to balance out the prospect pool with a higher end d-man or winger.
I don't think it says anything other than they've drafted BPA. It would then be up to Blake to move one of them for a defender or winger.

What are your thoughts on Kent Johnson? Of the top 8, he seems to be the most overlooked. Looks to have elite vision and playmaking ability .

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't think it says anything other than they've drafted BPA. It would then be up to Blake to move one of them for a defender or winger.

What are your thoughts on Kent Johnson? Of the top 8, he seems to be the most overlooked. Looks to have elite vision and playmaking ability .

Seems pretty crazy that for 5 straight years the BPA just happened to be a C. I mean I guess its possible but it seems like a recipe for having a very unbalanced roster. Which has been par for the course for the Kings for the past 15 years.

If you head over to the Beniers post in the prospects board I kind of gave my thoughts on Kent Johnson vs him. I think KJ is one of the most polarizing prospects we have ever had at UM, I think his range of outcomes is all over the place. If the game slows down for him I think a Zegras type progression is possible, both have that insane vision and offensive zone game sense that can't be taught. The problem though is a big one, atleast on tv it looks like KJ has compete issues and takes a ton of shifts off, and considering many other UM followers agree it is probably not my imagination. But it's tough, I like to see players play in person, and this unique opportunity to see three potential top 10 picks in their draft year was ruined by Covid so I am more uncertain on outcomes than I usually am on UM prospects.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If the Kings pick a C in the 1st round for the 5th straight season what does it tell you about the overall outlook for the previous 4?

Either that or they are letting SFKingshomer make the 1st round picks :laugh:

I get the BPA thing, but this is ridiculous. They need to balance out the prospect pool with a higher end d-man or winger.

To be fair, just because they pick a guy with a C next to his name in July doesn't mean he'll be a center in the NHL (assuming he makes it at all). In this class especially, their are very few non-center forwards in the Top 15, just Eklund, Guenther and Lysell.

If they are dead set on a Wing or Defenseman, they could move down into the 20s, which figures to be dominated by wings and defenseman (maybe somebody looking to come up for Wallstedt).

Obviously they don't need more picks, but that doesn't mean you lose your sense of value just to fill an organizational need.

Last edited:

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
Seems pretty crazy that for 5 straight years the BPA just happened to be a C. I mean I guess its possible but it seems like a recipe for having a very unbalanced roster. Which has been par for the course for the Kings for the past 15 years.

If you head over to the Beniers post in the prospects board I kind of gave my thoughts on Kent Johnson vs him. I think KJ is one of the most polarizing prospects we have ever had at UM, I think his range of outcomes is all over the place. If the game slows down for him I think a Zegras type progression is possible, both have that insane vision and offensive zone game sense that can't be taught. The problem though is a big one, atleast on tv it looks like KJ has compete issues and takes a ton of shifts off, and considering many other UM followers agree it is probably not my imagination. But it's tough, I like to see players play in person, and this unique opportunity to see three potential top 10 picks in their draft year was ruined by Covid so I am more uncertain on outcomes than I usually am on UM prospects.
Interesting you bring up Zegras, I was thinking there might be similarities. Not saying he's as good as Zegras, just that he's a slick playmaker who falls outside the top group but could be just as good if not better. I haven't read about compete issues with him however. Reading some scouting reports they mention his vision and playmaking ability, but also say he has a surprisingly mature defensive game and good stick work. I can't comment on watching him myself since I only saw 1 Michigan game and it was against Minnesota so I was focusing on Faber.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
In my non-lottery dream scenario, LA takes Edvinsson in the first round and Morrow and Cossa in the second.

f*** that would be a haul I'd be incredibly happy with. Don't expect Cossa to fall out of the teens though at this point.

I could see that with KJ. I don't usually like fallers in the draft. I remember him being talked about as possible #1 as early in the season but he's dropped to and out of some top 10s. But he put up video game numbers in the BCHL, could be another Newhook at play. I wouldn't mind him necessarily if we got him around 10 minus what you point out about having more than enough Cs already.

Reactions: funky

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Might be worth noting our picks for projections at this point:

1st
2nd LA
2nd STL
3rd LA
3rd TOR
4th LA
4th CGY
5th
6th

No 7th! what a bummer for an org who has Dowd, Roy, etc. haha.
I thought we had the Vegas 2nd from the Martinez trade?
?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
f*** that would be a haul I'd be incredibly happy with. Don't expect Cossa to fall out of the teens though at this point.

I could see that with KJ. I don't usually like fallers in the draft. I remember him being talked about as possible #1 as early in the season but he's dropped to and out of some top 10s. But he put up video game numbers in the BCHL, could be another Newhook at play. I wouldn't mind him necessarily if we got him around 10 minus what you point out about having more than enough Cs already.

I also don't like drafting fallers. And it's something the Kings have done a decent amount of historically. Going back to Jens Karlsson, Lauri Tukonen, Vilardi was a bit of a faller. They did have more success with Kopitar and Brown, I remember as a 16/17 year old Brown was seen as a potential top 3 pick when he scored 40 goals and made the WJC at 17 years, 1 month the season before he was draft eligible. Raty is another guy this year who is a faller, a couple years ago he was considered the best prospect in this draft.

I really hope the Kings don't draft him, for one I don't trust Blake but more importantly I think even though they are different body types I think KJ and Vilardi are redundant. A lot of my descriptions on KJ also would apply to Vilardi this season, the insane vision, the make you jump out of your seats passes followed by invisibility for a lot of shifts.

I guess I could live with Beniers since getting him would mean the Kings moved up significantly in the draft lottery, but he is redundant with Turcotte. The Kings need to add defenseman and natural wingers in the draft, even if a C is technically the BPA, the Kings system is good enough and deep enough where they can draft based on need.

Interesting you bring up Zegras, I was thinking there might be similarities. Not saying he's as good as Zegras, just that he's a slick playmaker who falls outside the top group but could be just as good if not better. I haven't read about compete issues with him however. Reading some scouting reports they mention his vision and playmaking ability, but also say he has a surprisingly mature defensive game and good stick work. I can't comment on watching him myself since I only saw 1 Michigan game and it was against Minnesota so I was focusing on Faber.

Like I mentioned in that other thread, Kent Johnson made quite a few "TV passes" this year, a lot like that one Zegras made vs. the Kings. Eyes in the back of their head and the ability to see plays at the ice level that most simply cant. I think KJ's offensive zone instincts are off the charts but the NHL has seen many highly skilled players fizzle out because they don't have the motor. But yeah, if he takes that sophomore step this coming year that many college players make he certainly has the vision and skill to be a Zegras type player, but he has a ways to go and most guys don't do what Zegras has done, it's a lot to ask.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
draftsim

Here's a fun little draft simulator :) You can choose what prospect lists to choose from and there are sliders for randomness and team needs.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
It's a shame the defensemen drop off, after the top 4 and that the crop around 8-11 are centers, or smallish wingers....and none of them have size, or top end speed.
Maybe Lysell has top speed. The rest: Johnson, Lucius, Ecklund lack something. Maybe Sillinger will be a good player, but he's not a great skater, either.
Maybe Wallstedt is BPA around 8-10.

Many Kings fans would be irate...but you cannot win a cup, without a stellar goaltender. What was the last Cup won,
with a meh goalie? 2006 Cam Ward? Petersen will be 27 in October. Villalta has shown he will not be a King goalie...not
even Ranford could make him one. I have hopes for Parik and to a degree, Ingham. For the record, I would not want
to take Wallstedt 8-10, but will not be one that screams, if Yannetti et al, believe he's the guy when picking.

Think of it this way: in 3 years, we could be saying, "damn, look at this team, Byfield, Kaliyev, Turcotte, Vilardi, Kupari, Madden, Thomas,
Anderson, Bjornfot, Faber...too bad Cal is not quite the guy to take us to a Cup finals"...but then you have Wallstedt, ready to possibly do that.
There are no guarantees in any of these prospects, regardless of position.

Maybe if picking 8-10, it's time to be aggressive and trade up and get your guy. Or trade it for an NHL player, that is 23-29 with some term (just the pick or in a package)

Kings have 2 picks in rd 2. Trade #1 and #2 to move up even just 2 spots and get one of the defensemen.
The Kings have about 15 great prospects. Do not need more...need to get the creme de la creme

Last edited:

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
At this point I am expecting the Kings to trade their first round pick (in whatever fashion).

Agree...why draft another high ranked forward (that is not even elite) like Lysell, Johnson and wait 3 years to see if they are even better than the 6 or 7 top
young forwards the Kings already have? Better to take that asset (if not one of the D available, especially) and turn it into an NHL ready player.
Or, package to move up and get Power, Hughes, Edvinsson. (not worth adding for Clarke, I think..but I'm not the one to know that. Yannetti is)

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Realistically, what would LA's first round pick get us?

I think it gets you a pretty good player on an expiring deal. Now if we're talking about a 1st + (Thomas/Faber/Fagemo/Kupari/Madden etc) not the top handful. And you might get a pretty good player with some term.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It's super important to me that Vancouver picks up two more points and leap frogs the Kings. If the Kings pick at 8, they're guaranteed on of Power, Edvinsson, Clarke, Hughes, Guenther, Beniers, Johnson, or Eklund. My guess is that Detroit, Columbus, and San Jose all pick forwards. That leaves a chance for us to take one of the defensemen.

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
It's super important to me that Vancouver picks up two more points and leap frogs the Kings. If the Kings pick at 8, they're guaranteed on of Power, Edvinsson, Clarke, Hughes, Guenther, Beniers, Johnson, or Eklund. My guess is that Detroit, Columbus, and San Jose all pick forwards. That leaves a chance for us to take one of the defensemen.

They need 3 more points so that we sit at 8. Means nothing until the lottery balls drop for final pick rankings

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Exactly what I’m hoping . We need Buffalo to win the lottery and take a forward.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Although Vancouver won last night it's not looking pretty tonight. They're down 5-1 late in the third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->