Is it time to call it the "Big six" instead of the "Big Four"

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by zimnyi, Mar 13, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. zimnyi

zimnyi Registered User

With Jon Huberdeau on the verge of scoring 100 pts and Ryan Strome already there, wouldn't anyone say that the big four have now turned into the big six?

I know stats aren't everything but it seems that Strome and Huberdeau have opened a lot of eyes with their play and have creeped into conversation for displacing one of the four. So, when would you say it would be a good time to start calling them the big six?

2. 4thliner*

4thliner* Guest

These 2 guys are hands down blue-chipers and Murphy/Hamilton aren't far off. If anything, they maybe seperated themselves from the group of Murphy/Hamilton a bit and closer to the top 4 guys.

Reality is if you are picking in the top 8-9 in this years draft you are a getting a real top end prospect, were as in other years that was only reserved for top 2 or top 3.

Tier 1

Larsson
    Landeskog
    Nugen-Hopkins
    Couturier

Tier 2
    Strome
    Huberdoue
    Hamilton
    Murphy

and maybe Seimens also

The difference between these 2 groups isn't as big as some might think.

3. YNWA14

YNWA14 You'll Never Walk Alone

I've always thought that it's more of a big 8.

Larsson
    Landeskog
    Nugent-Hopkins
    Couturier
    Strome
    Huberdeau
    Murphy
    Hamilton

I can see them all being as high as #1 on different team rankings. They're all very talented and should have good careers in the NHL.

4. FolignoQuantumLeap

FolignoQuantumLeap Its a trap

In my eyes, there is no longer a big 4. However, I see a big 2 emerging and then another tier of solid players.

Larsson
    Nugent-Hopkins
    Couturier
    Landeskog
    Strome
    Murphy
    Huberdeau
    Hamilton

Hamilton is close to that 2nd group imo but I need to see a bit more before putting him there. His upside is obviously enormous. I'm actually pretty surprised to see people forgeting about Murphy at times. I would think that the success of a player like Erik Karlsson would help teams not be scared away.

5. 4thliner*

4thliner* Guest

It would have been nice if Murphy cracked the Canadian team at the WJC. If he had a good tourney, he would be in the running for top 3 IMO.

That would give a slight hint if his game would translate against higher competition.

Karlsson played well in his draft year at the WJC and dominated the tournament the year after in Ottawa winning best defenceman making Hedman (in his own draft year) on the same team invisible.

6. Confound

Confound Vindication

This is what I think too.

7. Torts

Torts Dont Doubt the Trout

and 2 years ago they were saying this is a dead/weak draft

hmmmm

8. Minister of Offence

Minister of Offence Registered User

Home Page:
    Who's they?

Leafs fans still believe this religiously.

9. FolignoQuantumLeap

FolignoQuantumLeap Its a trap

Not since they acquired two first round picks.

I believe this notion originally came from The Hockey News in one of their future watch editions. Joke's on you if you don't take EVERYTHING you read in that publication with a big grain of salt.

10. Torts

Torts Dont Doubt the Trout

no

past 2 drafts, media has always said this one is weak and not deep

my experience as a junior hockey fan says otherwise

all 40 players at prospects game looked like 1st rounders

11. PortlandWinterHawks

PortlandWinterHawks Registered User

I believe most drafts have been pretty average with the exception of 2003 and 2008 It just seems that scouting has gotten better and it's become easier to identify the good players from the bad.

most recent bad drafts: 2004, 2005, and 2007.
    drafts that are typically strong have a lot of OHL picks.

12. BrainOfJ

BrainOfJ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Financial Advisor
    Everything ive seen says week but not deep.

This draft lacks the star power of other drafts (Hall/Seguin, Kane, Stamkos/Doughty, etc.) but holy would it be a great year to win the cup because you're still snagging a good player at 30.

13. uncleben

uncleben Global Moderator

My face is my mask.
    yes and they still do.

what it really comes down to is that there are no defined rankings, no tiers of player stepping up.
    the top 5 could be 5 of any 10 players, and the next 20 could be any sort of mix of 40 players.

bc the first round prospects melted into the second round prospects and bc there was no standout first or second pick, it was considered to be a crap shoot.
    others might read into it as extra depth though, really depends on what you think of the talent.
    Either there are 10 first rounders and 50 second rounders (weak, shallow) or there are 60 first rounders (strong, deep).

14. HSF

HSF Registered User

good solid draft

the good scouts will separate themselves from the weak scouts in this years first round i believe

15. mohare

mohare Registered User

The 1st round of this draft is full of 2nd and 3rd line fowards and other than larsson and murphy, 2nd and 3rd pairing defenseman.

I don't see any "OMG" *drool* prospects coming out of this draft, but its highly unlikely they are all going to busts. Bad teams will get upgrades and teams with good scouts will find their usual share of hidden gems, and by 2020 we will be able to look back and really analyze how good or not this draft was.

16. javier

javier Registered User

This is taken from another site and is the opinion of Kyle Woodlief of Red Line Report, Woodlief is a former scout as well as hockey lifer so his views on the draft are more in-depth than most.

Kyle Woodlief: I think at the top-end you've got the four guys with (Gabriel) Landeskog, (Sean) Couturier and (Ryan) Nugent-Hopkins and (Adam) Larsson. They fairly separate themselves out from the pack. They're very good players, but there's nobody in that bunch-- you know, we're kind of spoiled these last few years-- there's nobody in that bunch that's going to be a (Steven) Stamkos or a (Matt) Duchene or (Victor) Hedman or anybody of that caliber. They're all solid players, there's not really that star magnitude to any of them.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised, though-- when it was coming into the season-- we all thought it was going to be kind of a down, kind of a weak year and as the season's gone on, a lot of guys have jumped up that we didn't expect to fill in that 25-50 range where we thought the depth would fall off severely. And I'm looking now at guys we have ranked in that range 25-50 and there's a lot of guys I like there. So, I think all the naysayers and doomsayers before the season may have gotten it a little premature. I think it's actually going to be a better crop this year than what we expected and on the whole at least an average crop.

Q:In your October issue of this year, you headlined it with the words "Uninspiring Class." Has your outlook changed a bit in the months since?

KW: Yes, it definitely has. That (issue) was put out in the first week of October and we were only two, three weeks into the season at that point. And each league has seen guys that for me have been positive surprises jumping up. Guys like Mark McNeill and Kale Kessy out in the WHL, guys like Shane Prince in the OHL I don't want to say come out of nowhere, but it's just a heck of a lot better than I anticipated it being at the beginning of the season. I think you've got the whole contingent in Saint John and Shawinigan's got a pretty good group in the 'Q' as well, so there's definitely more depth filling in in those second- and third tiers.

17. Le Golie

Le Golie ...

Woodlief is a bit of a clown. As evidenced by this article he still discredits Tavares while pimping Duchene. Nugent-Hopkins has much better offensive skill than a guy like Duchene, who he says this draft has none of. Duchene had 30+ less points in a much more offensive setting than RNH has. RNH has made as much of an offensive impact as Stamkos had in his draft year. Maybe more. :shakehead

18. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    No, it's still the big 4.

19. McDoused

McDoused Registered User

This. It's easy to say that these guys have the potential to be the best player coming out of the draft, but most of the people saying this aren't in my Oilers or your Avalanche's shoes.

If Edmonton picked a guy like Strome or Huberdeau first overall I would still be happy we have them, but I would probably be pretty pissed off that we passed on the guys labeled for the top 4.

Having said that, I could see someone creep into the top 4 strictly because of team need- not because they are projected to be better. If a team needs a defenceman and is loaded down the middle maybe they trade down or take a chance on Hamilton or Murphy.

20. periferal

periferal Registered User

Like LeGoalie basically said...

You cannot take Woodlief seriously. It appears to me that no reputable person in NHL circles does either. Therefore Woodlief needs to sensationalize his comments/rankings in order to sell his Redline "Report."

For example...

Before the 2009 draft, he was the only name publication that didn't have Tavares #1 overall. While he's certainly allowed to have his own opinion (despite it being wrong), everyone with half a brain could read behind the lines that Woodlief had, and obviously still has, an ax to grind with Tavares. Talk about unprofessional.

I think the only thing worse than Woodlief are the prospect rankings on HF.com.

:shakehead to both of them.

21. FireBurningBin

FireBurningBin please

Its still the big 4, but i think there is another big 4 after that (Huberdeau, Strome, Murphy, Hamilton)

22. Vaclav Varada

Vaclav Varada CoJo

The big 4, the little 4 and the rest! Boo ya

23. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    Murphy makes any team but Canada. You cant hold that against the kid.

24. CAPiTA

CAPiTA Registered User

I still think Couturier, RNH, Larsson and Murphy have star potential. They seem to have those kind of skills. When I say star I don't mean somebody like Stamkos, but RNH could put up 30-60-90 seasons and Couturier could hit 80 pts as a career high. But thats just my opinion dudes.

25. Ceekay

Ceekay Registered User

I've got mixed opinions on Strome. Seen him play live twice this year and both were total opposites. The first time he was a presence throughout the game. The second time he was invisible aside from turnovers (although he did pot 2 late PP goals on one timers).