Is it time for the league to get rid of Jokerit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, much like the top-rated comment under the article states, KHL needs to decide if it's ambition is still to be somewhat continental, like its name suggests, or simply a league which is open to having few foreign teams if they are ready to serve Mother Russia's interests.

Of course, it was always gonna be the case, somewhat, but it's gradual scale how blatant can you be. And if a worldwide pandemic doesn't make you let up a bit, that's pretty blatant.

Having said that, Jokerit's biggest critics so far happened to be people who are also known to be the biggest idiots, shills, or click-baiters who would say pretty much anything just to get on with their agenda.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well, much like the top-rated comment under the article states, KHL needs to decide if it's ambition is still to be somewhat continental, like its name suggests, or simply a league which is open to having few foreign teams if they are ready to serve Mother Russia's interests.

Of course, it was always gonna be the case, somewhat, but it's gradual scale how blatant can you be. And if a worldwide pandemic doesn't make you let up a bit, that's pretty blatant.

Having said that, Jokerit's biggest critics so far happened to be people who are also known to be the biggest idiots, shills, or click-baiters who would say pretty much anything just to get on with their agenda.

Russian media or HFBoards? ;)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The league risks losing access to the financial resources it enjoys now if it abandons the international component.

Reactions: Exarz

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Yeah, but Neftekhimik didn't have any COVID and played vs SKA, so what a point of the quarantine?
Because Finnish authorities state that exposure to covid-19 leads to a two-week quarantine. What are they suppose to do, ignore the authorities? Break it and insurances are most likely becoming invalid, not to speak of the extremely bad PR (which already reached rock bottom prior to the start of the season).

But overall I feel that both the fans and the league have reached a point where it's best for both to part ways when the league contract expires. The pandemic has shown that the different point of views in safety measures, politics and the apparent difficulties of cross-border cooperation might just be too tough to handle for both parts. That is, unless something drastic happens in the next year or so.

Reactions: Jussi

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Because Finnish authorities state that exposure to covid-19 leads to a two-week quarantine. What are they suppose to do, ignore the authorities? Break it and insurances are most likely becoming invalid, not to speak of the extremely bad PR (which already reached rock bottom prior to the start of the season).

But overall I feel that both the fans and the league have reached a point where it's best for both to part ways when the league contract expires. The pandemic has shown that the different point of views in safety measures, politics and the apparent difficulties of cross-border cooperation might just be too tough to handle for both parts. That is, unless something drastic happens in the next year or so.

The problem is, there wasn't any COVID in the first place, it was either an error or some kind of a sabotage, so Finnish authorities can now be more reasonable. Or do they think, the KHL purposedly spread the virus amongst its players?

I agree with the 2nd part.

Reactions: blasted

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You do understand that Finnish health authorities overrule KHL policies?
Finnish health authorities making a joke out of themselves is obviously a finnish internal issue, but if the team can't solve it's problems at home it might be not fit to play in a serious league. Everything COVID requires special attention AND unorthodox responses and methods. If you you just act stubborn, you won't get it done.

Right now it looks like NO Neftekhimik player is infected.

Reactions: blasted

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
The problem is, there wasn't any COVID in the first place, it was either an error or some kind of a sabotage, so Finnish authorities can now be more reasonable. Or do they think, the KHL purposedly spread the virus amongst its players?

No matter if it was either an error or some kind of sabotage (which I highly doubt), I think it's clear that Jokerit/Finnish authorities will take the Latvian side when they're both part of the EU, so even if it was an error, they would still side with them due to political reasons.

Finnish authorities have been quite careful regarding the risk of infection, which has both its pros and cons. From the society stand point, great, but considering that all Jokerit players tested negative it could be considered rather unnecessary to have a two-week quarantine (but again, there isn't really anything to do regarding this when it's the authorities' decision).

For now (from Jokerit's point of view), I guess the only way to somewhat complete the season is if teams get tested in Finland in advance so we don't need these types of rescheduling issues that will make the season impossible to finish

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
No matter if it was either an error or some kind of sabotage (which I highly doubt), I think it's clear that Jokerit/Finnish authorities will take the Latvian side when they're both part of the EU, so even if it was an error, they would still side with them due to political reasons.

Finnish authorities have been quite careful regarding the risk of infection, which has both its pros and cons. From the society stand point, great, but considering that all Jokerit players tested negative it could be considered rather unnecessary to have a two-week quarantine (but again, there isn't really anything to do regarding this when it's the authorities' decision).

For now (from Jokerit's point of view), I guess the only way to somewhat complete the season is if teams get tested in Finland in advance so we don't need these types of rescheduling issues that will make the season impossible to finish

Kinda sad, that politics is killing a good idea, but that's the world we live in.

Reactions: blasted and Exarz

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
YES

Most of the Jokerit fans wants to leave the KHL anyways, so both sides win.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
YES

They should probably star gathering money to buy the team and arena back then. Does Finland have rich enough people to finance the professional hockey team and arena? I've heard Jokerit and Hartwall Arena were a financial disaster even before the KHL. Otherwise the KHL project just wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
YES

According to a recent survey by the University of Jyväskylä 24 percent would like to see a return to Liiga. Because of the recent events that number may have grown somewhat, but it's clearly not "most". If anything it's a divisive issue.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
I don’t think KHL would ever get rid of Jokerit. It’s good for the league to have exposure in Finland. Plus, if the team continues to improve then they could be a serious contender for the title (Especially now with the introduction of the salary caps).

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don’t think KHL would ever get rid of Jokerit. It’s good for the league to have exposure in Finland. Plus, if the team continues to improve then they could be a serious contender for the title (Especially now with the introduction of the salary caps).

Year, I think, you're right. Don't forget to add, there is nobody in Finland willing to invest money in Jokerit to get it back to Liiga. Still, the current situation is pretty complicated and shity.

Sometimes, I have a feeling they in Finland aren't willing to get Jokerit back to Liiga, but they are willing to complicate its KHL life as much as possible.

Reactions: rohky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->