Is it time for Gary Bettman to leave?

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
I agree bettman must go, people can say what they want but Bettman has pull in the league and does make decisions. For example

Wirtz a billionaire why does he own the Blackhawks? my guess is a tax right off because he doesn't care if they are good or not. So at a meeting Bettman says "O ya just go with this Billy, OK Gary whatever you say I don't care anyway's I'm paying less taxes so what do I care."

the fact is Bettman has pull and he is a terrible leader and most of the NHL Billionaire owners do not care about there teams, because if they did there would be more exposure of the league in the States.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I agree bettman must go, people can say what they want but Bettman has pull in the league and does make decisions. For example

Wirtz a billionaire why does he own the Blackhawks? my guess is a tax right off because he doesn't care if they are good or not. So at a meeting Bettman says "O ya just go with this Billy, OK Gary whatever you say I don't care anyway's I'm paying less taxes so what do I care."

the fact is Bettman has pull and he is a terrible leader and most of the NHL Billionaire owners do not care about there teams, because if they did there would be more exposure of the league in the States.

Believe you are wrong about Wirtz's pull or any other big market teams pull. The last lock-out armed Bettman with clout that gave the yea/nay say to the small market teams NOT the big market teams. Do you think for one second the big market teams wanted revenue sharing and a salary cap with NOTHING in return. I think you will find most big market teams wanted a luxury tax as a well as a hard cap. They would have gladly paid a luxury tax as a cost of doing business.
It will be very interesting the next go-around for a new CBA if the owners give him as much power as he had the last time.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Bettman saw the League through tremendous physical growth and very difficult times. He was the best man for the job during that period. A new commissioner with a different mind set could help move the league along now that the owners have their economic system in place.

Just a thought, not a "what the League should do" rant.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Believe you are wrong about Wirtz's pull or any other big market teams pull. The last lock-out armed Bettman with clout that gave the yea/nay say to the small market teams NOT the big market teams. Do you think for one second the big market teams wanted revenue sharing and a salary cap with NOTHING in return. I think you will find most big market teams wanted a luxury tax as a well as a hard cap. They would have gladly paid a luxury tax as a cost of doing business.
It will be very interesting the next go-around for a new CBA if the owners give him as much power as he had the last time.

Chicago has a large population but I would not say they are a big market team because as per the article 6000 fans have been attending games, which by what the NHL tells everyone that gate receipts are crucial they by definition should be small market based on there fan base.

Also I agree that the bigger markets did not want the revenue sharing I.E. Toronto giving Nashville 10 m a year to just survive. That is complete BS if they need to be saved by other teams then maybe they should not be there, because of the poor attendance and because they are such a good team in a location where not enough people care

GSC2k2*

Chicago has a large population but I would not say they are a big market team because as per the article 6000 fans have been attending games, which by what the NHL tells everyone that gate receipts are crucial they by definition should be small market based on there fan base.

Also I agree that the bigger markets did not want the revenue sharing I.E. Toronto giving Nashville 10 m a year to just survive. That is complete BS if they need to be saved by other teams then maybe they should not be there, because of the poor attendance and because they are such a good team in a location where not enough people care
I don't think you should put much stock in the "6000 fans in Chicago" number. It is a lift from the Spector article in Dallas, and is based on an anonymous "scout".

manawaki

Jan 24, 2007
Vancity
If he were the CEO of a major corporation he would have been axed already - One can't ignore thousands of customers/stakeholders in regards to numerous issues - TV Deals, Schedule, Instigator rule...Bettman is NOT good for the game

Matty

May 20, 2002
Strawberry Fields
Visit site
Yes, I would think it's time for some fresh leadership.

You have some of the greatest young talent to come along in a long, long time and you decide it's best to not show off this talent in a good portion of your buildings every year...yeah right.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005

You have some of the greatest young talent to come along in a long, long time and you decide it's best to not show off this talent in a good portion of your buildings every year...yeah right.
Assuming you are refering to the schedule format, it was approved by the 30 owners. As a matter of fact, it barely passed again last month and as a result Bettman said the issue should be reviewed because it was one vote shy of the required 2/3 majority to overturn the current format.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
1. Bettman was hired by the owners; he'd have to be fired by the owners as well, and they have no desire to do that at the moment - especially since he helped them win significant concessions from the players in the lockout.
2. Bettman can't force Bill Wirtz or any other owner to give up control of their team barring fraud or illegal activities. Being an ******* owner isn't enough.
3. As much as everyone *****es here about Bettman, ... how many of those people have either (A) quit going to hockey games, or (B) quit watching hockey? I'm betting the answer is "damn few, if any".
4. kdb209 has rolled out numbers showing how revenues have grown tremendously since Bettman became commissioner. That's irrelevant to the anti-Bettman group, it's the fact that he's not doing what they think he should be doing that's proof enough in their minds that he should be fired.

When the league actually starts seeing revenues drop, then maybe you'll see it - until then, as long as the money keeps pouring in those who hate him have a better chance of passing out holding their breath than they do of seeing him get canned.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
1. Bettman was hired by the owners; he'd have to be fired by the owners as well, and they have no desire to do that at the moment - especially since he helped them win significant concessions from the players in the lockout.
2. Bettman can't force Bill Wirtz or any other owner to give up control of their team barring fraud or illegal activities. Being an ******* owner isn't enough.
3. As much as everyone *****es here about Bettman, ... how many of those people have either (A) quit going to hockey games, or (B) quit watching hockey? I'm betting the answer is "damn few, if any".
4. kdb209 has rolled out numbers showing how revenues have grown tremendously since Bettman became commissioner. That's irrelevant to the anti-Bettman group, it's the fact that he's not doing what they think he should be doing that's proof enough in their minds that he should be fired.

When the league actually starts seeing revenues drop, then maybe you'll see it - until then, as long as the money keeps pouring in those who hate him have a better chance of passing out holding their breath than they do of seeing him get canned.
You've got to wonder, how many of the anti-GB faithful were actually watching the NHL 14 years ago, and how many were aware of the sorry state of NHL hockey in the US when Bettman took over.

The NHL had not yet recovered from the SportsChannel America fiasco, did not have ANY national US broadcast deals, and despite the hype of an unfortunate SI article, was no where near ecllipsing the popularity of the NBA. The NHL at the high point of it's hype (with the Rangers '94 cup win) was still nowhere near the popularity of the NBA, which was at it's absolute post Bird/Magic/Jordan(retirement #1) nadir - not in terms of attendance, TV ratings, or revenues.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Excellent post.

People may dislike him for whatever reason, but, Bettman has always come through on his mandate:

-His biggest accomplishment prior to the NHL was orchestrating the NBA cap, and, a big reason why he was hired was to improve the financial landscape for the owners, and get in a better CBA. He got precisely what he promised the owners. If any job, if you go out and deliver on your biggest promise in the biggest way, your job is going to be safe for a little while.

-The NHL has fallen short of its goal of the big television contract, but, it has grown it's awareness in the States. Revenue growth has been tremendous for the owners. For all the complaining by people that the game should be bigger, the NHL is much farther ahead from when he took over.

-Bettman has actually been extremely protective of franchises, despite the accussations by some that he doesn't care about the existing fan base. The last team to be relocated was the Hartford Whalers. The other major sports see a higher degree of franchise movement.

The NHL could do a lot of things better, IMO, but, overall, Bettman has achieved most of his objectives. The owners have certainly benefitted from his tenure, to the point that if he decided today to step down from the position, his protege, Bill Daly, would almost certainly be the guy to get the job.

chiavsfan

Wirtz a billionaire why does he own the Blackhawks? my guess is a tax right off because he doesn't care if they are good or not.

Because he bought the team and still makes a profit regardless of how few people go to the games. He OWNS the team. Gary Bettman can't just walk in and take it away from him, unless he wants to sell, which Wirtz won't

This might be the worst thought out post ever

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

He needed 20 out of the 30 teams to agree for a change. He fell one short. Eleven teams wanted NO change. You should seek out who those 11 teams and berate them instead of Bettman.

Hint, I think 4 of them were NJD, Sens, Habs and Sharks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Excellent post.

People may dislike him for whatever reason, but, Bettman has always come through on his mandate:

-His biggest accomplishment prior to the NHL was orchestrating the NBA cap, and, a big reason why he was hired was to improve the financial landscape for the owners, and get in a better CBA. He got precisely what he promised the owners. If any job, if you go out and deliver on your biggest promise in the biggest way, your job is going to be safe for a little while.

-The NHL has fallen short of its goal of the big television contract, but, it has grown it's awareness in the States. Revenue growth has been tremendous for the owners. For all the complaining by people that the game should be bigger, the NHL is much farther ahead from when he took over.

-Bettman has actually been extremely protective of franchises, despite the accussations by some that he doesn't care about the existing fan base. The last team to be relocated was the Hartford Whalers. The other major sports see a higher degree of franchise movement.

Huh? Baseball does not have the same degree of movement. The Expos were the first team to move since the last time baseball left Washington. Football has had more, but basketball has only had 2 teams move since Bettman came to power in the NHL. Bettman had 4 and right now looks to be 70/30 that number will rise to 5. Football has only had 4 as well.

And 'awareness' in the States....No. Not at all. I got people telling me they don't even know the all star game was on a Wednesday.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Huh? Baseball does not have the same degree of movement. The Expos were the first team to move since the last time baseball left Washington. Football has had more, but basketball has only had 2 teams move since Bettman came to power in the NHL. Bettman had 4 and right now looks to be 70/30 that number will rise to 5. Football has only had 4 as well.

And 'awareness' in the States....No. Not at all. I got people telling me they don't even know the all star game was on a Wednesday.
Probably not the most telling way to measure awareness in the States, since the ASG is on a little known, seldom viewed, cable network. I mean - I don't know when the NBA ASG is, nor do I know who has the best record - I just don't care. Which are the sentiments shared by many sports fans in the States towards hockey.

But, since Bettman took over, I would say awareness in the States has definately increased. With both the NHL, the sport as a whole. Weather or not there is any correlation to the latter, and gscarpenter can chime in if he wishes, is debatable. Since SportsChannel America, yes, that time span includses ESPN, I would say the league is much better off in the "awareness" department than before Bettman assumed the position. I would also say that he brought some respectability to the position given the state of the League and the Players prior to his arrival.

As far as the degree of franchise movement, I'm not sure how good of an indicator that is in the context of proving Bettman's worth. It's been hashed out how much of a role the commissioner played in the franchise moves in other threads for as long as I've been around here but, in the end they were, essentially, the dealings of the owners and approval of their peers. And the cart was already rolling in Minnesota when Bettman became commissioner.

Last edited:

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I think he's still too young to retire.

I'm guessing you meant retiring, since Bettman getting fired would make 0 sense. The owners probably love the guy.

Not to mention, without Bettman, the NHL would be some no name gimmick Canadian league on par with the CFL and maybe the NLL (if they were lucky) though Lacrosse has a lot more potential than hockey ever had.

Last edited:

JoeP

Dec 16, 2006
Overall, I can't say if he should stay or go, but hockey (much like baseball still is) was a broken sport.

In fact, it's not a sport when you can buy championships. Those days were insane and unsustainable.... and only made it a league in name only.

The lost season was a blessing if that's what it took to make the NHL a real league and not a glorified EBay for Stanley Cups.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Overall, I can't say if he should stay or go, but hockey (much like baseball still is) was a broken sport.

In fact, it's not a sport when you can buy championships. Those days were insane and unsustainable.... and only made it a league in name only.

The lost season was a blessing if that's what it took to make the NHL a real league and not a glorified EBay for Stanley Cups.

I think the opposite, as a long term fan, the salary cap without a luxury tax really penalizes the big market teams which the NHL needs for not only revenue sharing but the growth of over-all revenue. I think the current CBA will be a disaster long-term for the NHL, having said all that it is the short term cure needed (cost certainity) and only needs tweaking. Heck the last two Stanley Cup champions have come from the south-east and that area is still not a hockey hot-bed.
The NHL NEEDS strong teams in the strong markets or it will implode.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
If he were the CEO of a major corporation he would have been axed already - One can't ignore thousands of customers/stakeholders in regards to numerous issues - TV Deals, Schedule, Instigator rule...Bettman is NOT good for the game

When Bettman arrived, the NHL had no national TV deal. They have had one every year since he arrived.

Bettman has proposed changes to the schedule. The OWNERS voted it down.

Bettman had nothing at all to do with the instigator rule. It predated him by years.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Hmm, my mistake on the movement. I posted quickly, and didn't research. I could have sworn there were more teams, as, a few stuck out for memory. Regardless, the last moved team in the NHL was the Whalers in 1997, and, all the other leagues have had teams move since that point. Bettman has gone through extensive efforts with teams during the bankruptcies of teams to avoid them moving though. I do believe that Bettman is committed to team stability.

"Awareness" is subjective, and it certainly isn't where the league would like it to be, but, it wasn't exactly widely discussed when Bettman took over. The league draws in a lot more revenue, from a lot more markets than it did 14 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad