is it time for ads on uniforms?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Mr Sakich, Jul 9, 2006.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mr Sakich

Mr Sakich Registered User

Home Page:
    the NHL is trying to market itself in a new and invigorating way. Traditionalism has led them from being a top 4 sport to not in the top 10 in North America.

Ratings are awefull. Revenues are perilous as ticket prices are maxed, in-building revenues are maxed in most markets, and ther eis not much hope for a big TV contract anytime soon. The NHL needs to explore new revenues and ads on uniforms could be a source.

More importantly, NHL jerseys can become vibrant. They may be attractive to the huge teen-age market that is currently completely ignoring them. It could also diffrentiate the jerseys from the every other established league jersey in North America.

2. Guy Legend

Guy Legend Registered User

Are you kidding me.....

3. I'd like to see guys be able to personalize their helmets.

4. Resolute

Resolute Registered User

No offense, but anyone who believes it is time for ads on uniforms should be shot.

5. puck57

puck57 Registered User

The day will come for a lot of the reasons that were originally posted that there will indeed be advertising on the uniforms- it is only a matter of time. It has come to a lot of other sports and people are only kidding themselves if they think it will not eventually not come to hockey as well.

6. Mr Sakich

Home Page:
    as a Flames fan, I would think you would have been the first to agree with the idea. Anything would be an improvement to your current jersey.

7. who_me?

who_me? Registered User

Just out of curiosity, but how much do European soccer clubs get for putting "Playstation" or "Opel" on their jerseys?

8. st5801

st5801 Registered User

Goalies its fine, but every player would just be ridiculous looking, in my opinion.

I hope they never allow ads on jerseys, but think it may only be a matter of time. If it happens, hopefully its just one ad (text only) that's integrated into the main front part of the jersey, like most of the big name European soccer clubs. Even better would be just putting it on the sleeve, but I doubt that will happen since smaller ad=less money. The tacky, rectangular ads that are slapped all jerseys would be even worse, as would putting logos on helmets.

Example of bad looking ones from MLS:
    http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/gallery/2006/05062006_nela/4.jpg
    Example of good looking ones from EPL:
    http://www.thierryhenry.com.ar/thierry-henry-arsenal2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  9. Clint

Clint Registered User

I wouldn't mind it at all. As long as they actually look like they are part of the jersey or logo, why not let the league generate extra revenues?

Right on, Adolf.

10. TorontoSports

TorontoSports Registered User

Why not just change the Ice Surface to field turf, make the nets larger, make the players wear cleats, and replace the puck with a soccer ball? :dunno:

11. Wisent

Wisent Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Oh yeah, I can see how ads on the jersey makes the sport soccer.

12. Wisent

Wisent Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    If I am not wrong, the ads on the jerseys in Germany gives the club up to 15 million Euro.

13. Butch 19

Butch 19 Go cart Mozart

uhhh... because ads on any sports jersey is UGLY!

Ads on the boards are enough. It's so odd watching NHL clips from the '70s & early '80s when the boards were still all white. The game really looked better. Now there are ads on the ice too, when will it stop?

I don't think ticket prices can go up much more, and as others have posted, ticket prices do not pay player salaries. So without BIG increased TV ratings in the US, big business is not going to spend any more $$$ to advertise in a league that nobody watches. Remember when the NBA went to TNT? That seemed silly at the time. Not any more.

If the NHL goes to ads on jerseys, they'll just alienate what few hockey fans they already have. - bad idea.

14. waldo92

waldo92 Registered User

I don't think that Americans can take seriously any sport that allows ads on uniforms. (NASCAR is the exception)

Put it on the boards, on the ice, on the roof, in my program, in the arena name, on my chair. I don't care, just keep it off the players.

15. Galchenkel

Galchenkel Registered User

at school
    Home Page:
    don't like at all the idea of puting ads on uniforms. Jerseys in Europe are so awful. My idea is to creat new jerseys you could wear in everyday's life. Just like they do with basketball jerseys and football jerseys. you don't look like a fool when you wear thos jerseys but you do with a big, ang long hockey jersey. NHL jerseys should be customized. Seeing many people in the streets with hockey jerseys would help to popularize hockey.

16. Montrealer

Montrealer What, me worry?

IT
    I don't think there's much the NHL can do to lower it's image in the eyes of the average American. The fan support in the States is the hardcore hockey fan who will watch even with ads on uniforms, so I don't think there's any negative even if we assume it makes the league look "less serious" in the average American's eyes (more so than now).

Hmm.. If a team could make US$20m a year, I could see this happening very easily. I'm not crazy about it, but then again I don't think Euro soccer fans committed suicide en masse whenever they started sporting ads on their uniforms, so I think we'll live through the experience.

17. Clint

Clint Registered User

18. Clint

Clint Registered User

Thank you!

I would assume that hockey fans would embrace an idea that would generate extra revenues for their favorite team, and therefore making gameplay better in other areas.

19. cooksond

cooksond Registered User

Depends on the logo. A small patch on the sleeve might be ok, but anything big that turn it into the jerseys you see in European leagues, no thanks.

20. TorontoSports

TorontoSports Registered User

I'll stop watching if they do that. I am a "hardcore" fan too...

21. Lady Rhian

Lady Rhian The Only Good Indian

My sentiments exactly. Ads look positively hideous on the back of sports jerseys.

22. XploD

XploD Registered User

NO WAY! Are you serious? Haven't you seen how the jerseys look over here in Europe? It's embarassing.

23. Brent Burns Beard

Brent Burns Beard DontTouchMyDonskoi!

i see nothing wrong with it. if i owned the product, i would put advertising in as many places as i could. remember, the product is a means of distribution. the NHL is doing its investors, players and other parties a disservice by not capturing as many dollars as possible.

i think OTT fans (and CGY fans in two years) should be BEGGING for a stream of revenue. If the CAP was 15 million dollars higher, they could have kept their team together, but since its not, the good teams are being punished so that crap teams like CHI can benefit.

Gots to love that cap right OTT? The very vehicle that was sold as saving OTT has cost them two superstars.

Bring on the revenue and stop your whining about it (not you OP, but everyone else)

24. Mr Sakich

Home Page:
    now that the players are getting a defined % of league revenues, players and agents are going to be far more aggressive in trying to raise revenues. I heard Winters on the radio a month ago talking about how they have to try to get Crosby dating a hollywood scarlet to increase exposure in the pop culture we now live in.

IMO, the jerseys with the ads on them are much more modern and show a European flare that the other team sports in North America do not have. If 20% of the people liked them, that would increase Jersey sales by tenfold.