is it time for ads on uniforms?

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
the NHL is trying to market itself in a new and invigorating way. Traditionalism has led them from being a top 4 sport to not in the top 10 in North America.

Ratings are awefull. Revenues are perilous as ticket prices are maxed, in-building revenues are maxed in most markets, and ther eis not much hope for a big TV contract anytime soon. The NHL needs to explore new revenues and ads on uniforms could be a source.

More importantly, NHL jerseys can become vibrant. They may be attractive to the huge teen-age market that is currently completely ignoring them. It could also diffrentiate the jerseys from the every other established league jersey in North America.

Spankatola Jamnuts*

I'd like to see guys be able to personalize their helmets.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
No offense, but anyone who believes it is time for ads on uniforms should be shot.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
the NHL is trying to market itself in a new and invigorating way. Traditionalism has led them from being a top 4 sport to not in the top 10 in North America.

Ratings are awefull. Revenues are perilous as ticket prices are maxed, in-building revenues are maxed in most markets, and ther eis not much hope for a big TV contract anytime soon. The NHL needs to explore new revenues and ads on uniforms could be a source.

More importantly, NHL jerseys can become vibrant. They may be attractive to the huge teen-age market that is currently completely ignoring them. It could also diffrentiate the jerseys from the every other established league jersey in North America.

The day will come for a lot of the reasons that were originally posted that there will indeed be advertising on the uniforms- it is only a matter of time. It has come to a lot of other sports and people are only kidding themselves if they think it will not eventually not come to hockey as well.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Just out of curiosity, but how much do European soccer clubs get for putting "Playstation" or "Opel" on their jerseys?

st5801

Jan 31, 2005
I'd like to see guys be able to personalize their helmets.
Goalies its fine, but every player would just be ridiculous looking, in my opinion.

I hope they never allow ads on jerseys, but think it may only be a matter of time. If it happens, hopefully its just one ad (text only) that's integrated into the main front part of the jersey, like most of the big name European soccer clubs. Even better would be just putting it on the sleeve, but I doubt that will happen since smaller ad=less money. The tacky, rectangular ads that are slapped all jerseys would be even worse, as would putting logos on helmets.

Example of bad looking ones from MLS:
http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/gallery/2006/05062006_nela/4.jpg
Example of good looking ones from EPL:
http://www.thierryhenry.com.ar/thierry-henry-arsenal2.jpg

Last edited:

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I wouldn't mind it at all. As long as they actually look like they are part of the jersey or logo, why not let the league generate extra revenues?

No offense, but anyone who believes it is time for ads on uniforms should be shot.

Right on, Adolf.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Why not just change the Ice Surface to field turf, make the nets larger, make the players wear cleats, and replace the puck with a soccer ball? :dunno:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
... why not let the league generate extra revenues?

uhhh... because ads on any sports jersey is UGLY!

Ads on the boards are enough. It's so odd watching NHL clips from the '70s & early '80s when the boards were still all white. The game really looked better. Now there are ads on the ice too, when will it stop?

I don't think ticket prices can go up much more, and as others have posted, ticket prices do not pay player salaries. So without BIG increased TV ratings in the US, big business is not going to spend any more $$$ to advertise in a league that nobody watches. Remember when the NBA went to TNT? That seemed silly at the time. Not any more.

If the NHL goes to ads on jerseys, they'll just alienate what few hockey fans they already have. - bad idea.

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think that Americans can take seriously any sport that allows ads on uniforms. (NASCAR is the exception)

Put it on the boards, on the ice, on the roof, in my program, in the arena name, on my chair. I don't care, just keep it off the players.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
don't like at all the idea of puting ads on uniforms. Jerseys in Europe are so awful. My idea is to creat new jerseys you could wear in everyday's life. Just like they do with basketball jerseys and football jerseys. you don't look like a fool when you wear thos jerseys but you do with a big, ang long hockey jersey. NHL jerseys should be customized. Seeing many people in the streets with hockey jerseys would help to popularize hockey.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I don't think that Americans can take seriously any sport that allows ads on uniforms. (NASCAR is the exception)

Put it on the boards, on the ice, on the roof, in my program, in the arena name, on my chair. I don't care, just keep it off the players.

I don't think there's much the NHL can do to lower it's image in the eyes of the average American. The fan support in the States is the hardcore hockey fan who will watch even with ads on uniforms, so I don't think there's any negative even if we assume it makes the league look "less serious" in the average American's eyes (more so than now).

Hmm.. If a team could make US$20m a year, I could see this happening very easily. I'm not crazy about it, but then again I don't think Euro soccer fans committed suicide en masse whenever they started sporting ads on their uniforms, so I think we'll live through the experience.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
uhhh... because ads on any sports jersey is UGLY!
Of course, some of them are. But not when they are done correctly. Just look at the Real Madrin Siemens Mobile Jersey. Those aren't exactly ugly. I see those David Beckham jerseys alot more often than I see any NHL jersey.

How 'bout the Manchester United "vodafone" jersey? Those aren't too bad, and the club is making millions of extra dollars by having the logo incorporated on the jersey.

It's so odd watching NHL clips from the '70s & early '80s when the boards were still all white. The game really looked better.
So what are you saying, we should eliminate the ads from boards?

This brings me to another point. When the ads were going up on boards in the 80's I'm sure some fans were throwing a fit about it, calling the league sell-outs and claiming to be an alienated fan-base. But now, 20 years later, I can't even imagine hockey without adspace on even my local ice arena. I see ads in NHL arenas and don't think twice about it. They're just there, and they seem like they always have been, and I don't really mind in the least. It's just the way it is.

I don't think ticket prices can go up much more,
You'd be surprised.
and as others have posted, ticket prices do not pay player salaries.
Then what does, that fat TV contract? The NHL is definitely a gate-sales driven league. Salaries are defnitely paid for by ticket sales and ad revenues.

If the NHL goes to ads on jerseys, they'll just alienate what few hockey fans they already have. - bad idea.

Let's get real here: Will you really stop watching NHL hockey because there are ads on jerseys? :shakehead

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Hmm.. If a team could make US$20m a year, I could see this happening very easily. I'm not crazy about it, but then again I don't think Euro soccer fans committed suicide en masse whenever they started sporting ads on their uniforms, so I think we'll live through the experience.

Thank you!

I would assume that hockey fans would embrace an idea that would generate extra revenues for their favorite team, and therefore making gameplay better in other areas.

cooksond

Apr 11, 2006
Depends on the logo. A small patch on the sleeve might be ok, but anything big that turn it into the jerseys you see in European leagues, no thanks.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I don't think there's much the NHL can do to lower it's image in the eyes of the average American. The fan support in the States is the hardcore hockey fan who will watch even with ads on uniforms, so I don't think there's any negative even if we assume it makes the league look "less serious" in the average American's eyes (more so than now).

I'll stop watching if they do that. I am a "hardcore" fan too...

Brent Burns Beard