Proposal: Is it the time for Carolina to get a real goalie?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s been time for years.

I don’t know how I’d feel about going after Bobrovsky. He’d cost a lot to acquire, has had injury problems, is an impending ufa looking to cash in and is playing pretty poorly right now.
Where else do you get a top 5 goalie?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The proposal: Bob of Columbus has a .895 and 3.33 GAA. His value might not be high as you think. I wonder what team if any will pay him "too much" on a long term deal next summer.
Strange that Columbus has one of the worse GAA in the league with Bob and net, and the much revered RHD Jones.
Most teams consider the previous 200 games over his last 6 when evaluating a player.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Would any 'Canes fans take a chance on Jake Allen? Like Bob, he is struggling right now, but perhaps a change of scenery, and/or playing behind a different system might see him return to form. Unlike Bob, he is signed for three more years. I would take the OP's offer of Mrazek and a 1st.
Dude, it is more like Allen + 1st for Mrazek

Reactions: CandyCanes

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You're correct of course. When signing players in their late 20s and or early 30s to long term contracts , teams look at past performance and not projected performance, often at their disappointment.

To be fair, most elite goaltenders tend to keep performing well into their 30s, and Bobrovsky has been pretty healthy in his career.

Reactions: bert

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Jimmy Howard (5.29M) + Andreas Athanasiou (3M) for Justin Faulk (4.8M) and Curtis McElhinney (0.85M).

With Bernier playing as good as he has, time to get an upgrade on D and let the winning lineup continue winning (without AA). Waive Mrazek afterwards, his contract is only 1.5M.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Jimmy Howard (5.29M) + Andreas Athanasiou (3M) for Justin Faulk (4.8M) and Curtis McElhinney (0.85M).

With Bernier playing as good as he has, time to get an upgrade on D and let the winning lineup continue winning (without AA). Waive Mrazek afterwards, his contract is only 1.5M.

Canes have one solid extra D to use as a bargaining chip. They aren't using it on Howard.

Darling + Howard as a $9+ million tandem. Nightmare fuel.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Canes have one solid extra D to use as a bargaining chip. They aren't using it on Howard.

Darling + Howard as a $9+ million tandem. Nightmare fuel.

To be fair, Howard is a UFA after this year's end and AA isn't anything to sneeze at. I do understand that Faulk is the most valuable piece here, too.

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The Canes have a billionaire owner who doesn’t care what he’s paying if the team benefits. Paying three goalies is clearly not an issue, even with Darling’s salary. They’ve already said they’d pay him in the minors.

They are now. Cheapskate Karmanos is gone. Dundon is literally a BILLIONAIRE. He has stated (and has shown) that he will spend if it makes sense to spend. He is committed to making the Hurricanes relevant again.

Something like 23 of the owners are Billionaires, so I'm not sure why this seems so impressive to either of you. Viola (Florida) is high on the list, Eugene Melnyk is also in the Billionaires club.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Something like 23 of the owners are Billionaires, so I'm not sure why this seems so impressive to either of you. Viola (Florida) is high on the list, Eugene Melnyk is also in the Billionaires club.

You bolded the first half and then ignored the most important part. He has stated and demonstrated a willingness to spend if it makes the team better.

This is a refreshing change from an owner (PK) that openly stated that he was reluctant to spend money on a team with low attendance... he didn’t seem to care or understand that on-ice performance and attendance are linked.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I really don't see Bob re-signing in Carolina. Russians tend to prefer New York, Florida or California as free agents. They should absolutely get an NHL level goalie though.

Reactions: DaveG

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Keep in mind they're actually middle of the pack to when it comes to GA/GP. OP mentioned 3 teams who recently ponied up to get a #1. 2/3 of those teams have let in more goals per game. Toronto and New Jersey. The other team, San Jose sits at 2.82 GA/GP compared to Carolinas 2.92.

OP also mentioned Bobrovsky as a target. Columbus has allowed more goals per game than Carolina, and Bob has really struggled because of the equipment issue.

Yeah, the problem is Schneider have proven by now he's not really a #1. Since being acquired, WHEN he's healthy, he's only a decent starter.

Andersen has been a good surprise for the Leafs, especially since he has a meh D in front of him. This season, they seem to have relied too much on their mega-offense and it has backfired. Good thing they had red-hot start so they're still in good standing. Matthews has had all of his goals and 4 A in his first 6 GP, then only 2 A in his last five. The kid has blown his load too soon.

Last edited:

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Each year it is the same old story in Carolina, but even if it is still early, it seems even more obvious this year that the goaltenders are bringing this otherwise good team down.

PLAYERGPWLOTLGAASV%
Petr Mrazek83322.75.880
Curtis McElhinney43102.76.892
Scott Darling10103.12.903
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Toronto, New Jersey, San Jose have all recently spent 1st round picks to get their #1 goalies. Is it the time for Carolina to do the same?

What would be needed to get an established #1 goaltender in Carolina?

My proposal:

Carolina gets:

S. Bobrovsky

CBJ gets:

Mrazek, 1st round pick (top 10 protected) in 2019, conditional 2nd round pick if Bobrovsky resigns with Carolina.

Obviously, Carolina's new owner would have to be willing to spend some money for that deal to work out since they would have to try to sign the guy long term, and it won't be cheap.

Colombus takes the initiative and solve their disgruntled UFA situation, getting good assets in return... and I honestly think a tandem of Bobrovsky/McElhinney would do wonders for Carolina.

What do you think?

To isles
Canes 1st (unprotected) & goalie they dont want

To canes
Thomas Greiss

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Would any 'Canes fans take a chance on Jake Allen? Like Bob, he is struggling right now, but perhaps a change of scenery, and/or playing behind a different system might see him return to form. Unlike Bob, he is signed for three more years. I would take the OP's offer of Mrazek and a 1st.
What?
You mean Blues are the team trading the first to get rid of his contract.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It has been time for years, Carolina needs to break out the bucks and sign either Bob or Varlamov, and replace their backup too

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
The Canes FO operates on the "goalies are voodoo anyway, so don't waste high picks on them" theory...which I'm not sure I buy.
Hmm, who has been the last 1st round goalie to live up to the expectations? I can only think of one in the past 20 years: Vasilevski.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
So what is the situation now in goal in Carolina? Any indication which goalie is going to be traded/waived with Darling healthy again?

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
So what is the situation now in goal in Carolina? Any indication which goalie is going to be traded/waived with Darling healthy again?

They're holding three right now but it'll probably be McElhinney. He was healthy scratched the couple of games Mrazek and Darling were both healthy. Now Mrazek has some sort of leg thing. I don't think it's anything like Darling had going on though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad