Proposal: Is it the time for Carolina to get a real goalie?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Each year it is the same old story in Carolina, but even if it is still early, it seems even more obvious this year that the goaltenders are bringing this otherwise good team down.

PLAYERGPWLOTLGAASV%
Petr Mrazek83322.75.880
Curtis McElhinney43102.76.892
Scott Darling10103.12.903
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Toronto, New Jersey, San Jose have all recently spent 1st round picks to get their #1 goalies. Is it the time for Carolina to do the same?

What would be needed to get an established #1 goaltender in Carolina?

My proposal:

Carolina gets:

S. Bobrovsky

CBJ gets:

Mrazek, 1st round pick (top 10 protected) in 2019, conditional 2nd round pick if Bobrovsky resigns with Carolina.

Obviously, Carolina's new owner would have to be willing to spend some money for that deal to work out since they would have to try to sign the guy long term, and it won't be cheap.

Colombus takes the initiative and solve their disgruntled UFA situation, getting good assets in return... and I honestly think a tandem of Bobrovsky/McElhinney would do wonders for Carolina.

What do you think?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
It’s been time for years.

I don’t know how I’d feel about going after Bobrovsky. He’d cost a lot to acquire, has had injury problems, is an impending ufa looking to cash in and is playing pretty poorly right now.

The only reason he could be available is how he is playing right now. I don't think CLB would ever entertain the idea of trading him if he was playing like his Vezina caliber usual self, even in the last year of his contract.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The only reason he could be available is how he is playing right now. I don't think CLB would ever entertain the idea of trading him if he was playing like his Vezina caliber usual self, even in the last year of his contract.

If he’s playing terrible enough they’d be willing to move him then why would anyone pay the price to acquire him?

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
You know bobs cant surely get more than that from another team. Say St. Louis? There’s a lot of bubble teams needing goaltending so you’re going to have to have a more competitive offer than a first and a goalie made of Swiss cheese

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Starting goalies are tough to come by. Carolina could use one for sure but they can probably make the playoffs with what they’ve got.

Mikko Koskinen’s got a .955, though. Bidding starts at Brett Pesce. :sarcasm:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I like Bob, and you could probably get something like your proposal from someone, but I hope it is not the Canes that gives you that. I’d rather wait and just try to pay him next year.

Reactions: sheriff bart

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Mrazek played 8 games. In games CAR didn't win Mrazek is .938 in EVsave%.

In October CAR was #9 in EVsave%.

CAR is #31 in PK.

I would keep Mrazek and Darling, and McElhinney as insurance.

Reactions: Identity404

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Each year it is the same old story in Carolina, but even if it is still early, it seems even more obvious this year that the goaltenders are bringing this otherwise good team down.

PLAYERGPWLOTLGAASV%
Petr Mrazek83322.75.880
Curtis McElhinney43102.76.892
Scott Darling10103.12.903
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Toronto, New Jersey, San Jose have all recently spent 1st round picks to get their #1 goalies. Is it the time for Carolina to do the same?

What would be needed to get an established #1 goaltender in Carolina?

My proposal:

Carolina gets:

S. Bobrovsky

CBJ gets:

Mrazek, 1st round pick (top 10 protected) in 2019, conditional 2nd round pick if Bobrovsky resigns with Carolina.

Obviously, Carolina's new owner would have to be willing to spend some money for that deal to work out since they would have to try to sign the guy long term, and it won't be cheap.

Colombus takes the initiative and solve their disgruntled UFA situation, getting good assets in return... and I honestly think a tandem of Bobrovsky/McElhinney would do wonders for Carolina.

What do you think?
They haven't had a franchise goal like forever. It's time to get one but easier said than done. How about Varlomov at seasons end?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They should've tried getting Grubauer when they had the chance. Can't think who else they should go after, maybe Reimer if Luongo manages to stay healthy, they have Hutchinson anyway who could back up Luongo.

Bobrovsky for that matter, can't see where he'd end up. Vancouver is the only realistic one right now because they need a goalie, but don't think they extend him.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It's not the goalie, it's the special teams system. They're getting torched on the kill. League worst 66.7% PK. 1/3 penalties they give up a goal.

Keep in mind they're actually middle of the pack to when it comes to GA/GP. OP mentioned 3 teams who recently ponied up to get a #1. 2/3 of those teams have let in more goals per game. Toronto and New Jersey. The other team, San Jose sits at 2.82 GA/GP compared to Carolinas 2.92.

OP also mentioned Bobrovsky as a target. Columbus has allowed more goals per game than Carolina, and Bob has really struggled because of the equipment issue.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They should've tried getting Grubauer when they had the chance. Can't think who else they should go after, maybe Reimer if Luongo manages to stay healthy, they have Hutchinson anyway who could back up Luongo.

Bobrovsky for that matter, can't see where he'd end up. Vancouver is the only realistic one right now because they need a goalie, but don't think they extend him.
They did. Caps wanted to send him out of conference.

The one I was pissed we didn't go for was Raanta, instead going for Lack. Not a good decision at the time and terrible one in retrospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad