Speculation: Is it the end for Howard?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
People in the organization are evaluating players at every level. There is no need to play guys in the NHL to "know what you have".
Literally the last step in evaluation is to bring a player up to the NHL level to know what you have. Unless the player is a homerun first overall pick or a last guy picked North Korean National team guy there is always evaluation at the NHL level for players who could be NHL level talent. The only time you don't do it is if you're absolutely sure they aren't NHL material. And with goalies this is doubly true.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I’m still salty about losing Mrazek. I get it, but I’m salty. I think Howard’s clock is ticking. Not sure who would actually trade for him, unless we retained a fair amount and even then. I think he finishes up this year and takes the LTIR route next.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I’m still salty about losing Mrazek. I get it, but I’m salty. I think Howard’s clock is ticking. Not sure who would actually trade for him, unless we retained a fair amount and even then. I think he finishes up this year and takes the LTIR route next.
Howard is on a one year deal so he can just retire normally.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Literally the last step in evaluation is to bring a player up to the NHL level to know what you have. Unless the player is a homerun first overall pick or a last guy picked North Korean National team guy there is always evaluation at the NHL level for players who could be NHL level talent. The only time you don't do it is if you're absolutely sure they aren't NHL material. And with goalies this is doubly true.
Yes but the NHL evaluation is only really needed when a player is showing that they are at least a good, if not great, player at a lower level. The idea that the fast you bring someone up, the faster you'll know what you have is not consistent with real world logic.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes but the NHL evaluation is only really needed when a player is showing that they are at least a good, if not great, player at a lower level. The idea that the fast you bring someone up, the faster you'll know what you have is not consistent with real world logic.

Go back to my original comment, do some basic math, and realize that bringing up Larsson would happen in 2022.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
People in the organization are evaluating players at every level. There is no need to play guys in the NHL to "know what you have".

Especially in this case where you have a goalie unable to compete with friggin Calvin Pickard at AHL level. A goalie who fails at AHL level isn't gonna wow you at NHL level. Larsson is gonna need a lot of time and at this point is rather unlikely to ever turn into an NHL goalie.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Especially in this case where you have a goalie unable to compete with friggin Calvin Pickard at AHL level. A goalie who fails at AHL level isn't gonna wow you at NHL level. Larsson is gonna need a lot of time and at this point is rather unlikely to ever turn into an NHL goalie.
He just turned 21. Howard wasn't playing regularly in the NHL until he was 25.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Meh I don't think Howard is "done". He's 35 and the clock is ticking, but there's some decent years in him yet. I've been surprised by a few of the weak goals he's let in in the past few games, but I think that's a symptom of the frustration and absolute shattering of confidence this team is going through right now.

Look at his game-by-game:

.929 W
.897 L
.900 L
.861 L
.900 L
.920 L
.969 W <-------- Last game in October, to this point these are pretty standard Howard numbers
.762 L <--------- First game in November, wheels completely come off from here
.733 L
.867 L

It's almost like this horrible team is breaking this man.
The defense in front of him last night was almost a work of art in how terrible it was:

Colorado's 2018/19 #6 Dman - Hronek
Washington's 2018/19 # 7 Dman - Cholowski (who I would argue still needs to be in the AHL)
Career AHLer - Career AHLer

I count exactly one decent Dman in front of him.

What do we honestly expect? Howard's a decent goalie but you can't expect to ice that team and him save you every night. I'd be pretty pissed if I was Howard.

But like with most things, we've gotten through bad stints from Howard before, we'll get through them again. I don't think he's done based on 3 games with the worst Wings team in like 300 years in front of him.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
He's looked like crap this year. Maybe we get something for him at the deadline, maybe we ride it out the whole year if he has no value, but he should not be back next year unless it's as a backup for like the vet minimum.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He just turned 21. Howard wasn't playing regularly in the NHL until he was 25.

I get that he can still work out. But at this point he shouldn't even be in the conversation for NHL games. He's years away. I think Rybar and Van Pottelberghe should get looks next season though...they've been dominant in Europe's pro hockey for years now and they're easily better than Pickard and Bernier. Even longterm I like Petruzzelli much better than Larsson.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
I get that he can still work out. But at this point he shouldn't even be in the conversation for NHL games. He's years away. I think Rybar and Van Pottelberghe should get looks though...they've been dominant in Europe's pro hockey for years now and they're easily better than Pickard and Bernier. Even longterm I like Petruzzelli much better than Larsson.

Pretty sure Rybar F'ed off back to Europe and ties are severed there

Why do you prefer Petruzzelli to Larsson? Larsson has been the much better goalie so far in their careers.

Agreed that Larsson has no place being in the NHL right now thou

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Holtby is UFA this offseason and his "backup" Samsonov is outplaying him by a large margin. Wonder what he goes for... not having a great year at 3.3 GAA. Just gave up 4 goals already today.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My prediction is he either retires as a Wing in the offseason, or signs as a backup elsewhere next year, and looks completely fine and an NHL level fine at that. He has been bad this year no doubt, but we are also a really bad team, and even really good goalies look bad on bad teams.

Reactions: Red Stanley

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Holtby is UFA this offseason and his "backup" Samsonov is outplaying him by a large margin. Wonder what he goes for... not having a great year at 3.3 GAA. Just gave up 4 goals already today.
Holtby’s been up and down the last 3 seasons and is already 30. I’d take a one year prove your worth contract but anything long term sounds like a Karlsson situation. He’s played a lot of hockey for a modern goalie.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Holtby’s been up and down the last 3 seasons and is already 30. I’d take a one year prove your worth contract but anything long term sounds like a Karlsson situation. He’s played a lot of hockey for a modern goalie.
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering.... if he'd maybe take a short term contract. Though I doubt he'd want to do that with the WIngs and get shelled every night. Not a good way to improve your stats and market value.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I can't believe we have a season where Kronwall Ericsson and possibly Howard and Green will all be gone. And only one more year of Helm and Weiss. We are almost at the point where Nielsen, Abby, DeKeyser are the only remaining dead weight contracts. Yzerman is going to have a ton of cap space to work with soon if he wants to exercise it.

Franzen's LTIR contract ends this summer (as sad as that reminder is) and Zetterberg's next year. Maybe Abby can fill that slot in a season or two.

That said I could actually see Yzerman maybe signing Howard to one more year if there is nothing he finds he wants to try in net. But if Howard wants 4-5 million again I think Yzerman lets him go.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Next off-season UFAs:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

- Holtby, 30-year old
- Crawford, 35-year old
- Lehner, 28-year old
- Anderson, 39-year old
- Howard, 36-year old
- Markström, 30-year old
- Brossoit, 27-year old

Brossoit would be interesting take. Always seen something good in him. Still young. Also would onsider heavily Lehner. He has really turned his career round after getting over his mental problems.

Reactions: 14ari13

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That seems very negative, he’s in his first pro season and some adjustment is normal. Look at a guy like Markstrom. Goalies take time and Larsson is still a great prospect.
Go back to my original comment, do some basic math, and realize that bringing up Larsson would happen in 2022.
Fair enough, I thought you were talking about very soon. Definitely agree Larsson is 2-3 years away probably.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I can't believe we have a season where Kronwall Ericsson and possibly Howard and Green will all be gone. And only one more year of Helm and Weiss. We are almost at the point where Nielsen, Abby, DeKeyser are the only remaining dead weight contracts. Yzerman is going to have a ton of cap space to work with soon if he wants to exercise it.

Franzen's LTIR contract ends this summer (as sad as that reminder is) and Zetterberg's next year. Maybe Abby can fill that slot in a season or two.

That said I could actually see Yzerman maybe signing Howard to one more year if there is nothing he finds he wants to try in net. But if Howard wants 4-5 million again I think Yzerman lets him go.

I don't see DeKeyser's as a dead weight contract. Dude is sorely missed on our blue line right now. 5m is fine for a second pairing dman.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It's always easier to blame the goalie. I'm more worried about AA, and annoyed by Mantha's inconsistencies.

The focus should be on Hirose and Bowey being replaced next. They are done without ever doing anything.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
It's always easier to blame the goalie. I'm more worried about AA, and annoyed by Mantha's inconsistencies.

The focus should be on Hirose and Bowey being replaced next. They are done without ever doing anything.

It's tough to be consistent when you have no f***in clue what line you're going to be playing on shift to shift. We have an incompetent coach who decided to re-invent the wheel after one loss and break up literally the only line that can produce offense and the wheels completely fell off the wagon. I understand that line is back together but f***, Blashill is so f***ing impulsive with his line swaps, it's incredible. I remember when Mickey used to joke about the bingo balls with Babs, it's 1000000x worse with Blashill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad