Speculation: Is it the end for Howard?

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
Jimmy has been going through a rough patch or it could just be his body saying it’s over in the nhl for him I don’t know but I hope he doesn’t get traded and that he retires with the red wings organization he is 35 years old and going on to 36 so could it be his last season any thoughts about this subject?

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Jimmy has been going through a rough patch or it could just be his body saying it’s over in the nhl for him I don’t know but I hope he doesn’t get traded and that he retires with the red wings organization he is 35 years old and going on to 36 so could it be his last season any thoughts about this subject?

He has no trade value. This will be his last year barring something drastic

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He has no trade value. This will be his last year barring something drastic
I'm expecting the Wings to sign another vet for something around three years. They run with Whoever and Bernier next year, let Bernier walk the following summer, and then bring up Larsson. At least that is my hope.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I hope he is traded if/when he's able to regain form. Even if we got a 3rd, I'd ship him out. He's not an all time great, nor a cup winner, nor a perennial all-star, but a decent goalie who played a decade. I really wanted us to sign Varlamov for 4 yrs, in the offseason, he's doing well, as are the Isles. 2.14 GAA .929 SV% on a good defensive team with some scoring punch & grit, good coach (even though I can't stand Trotz from his NSH days). Costs $1M more than Howie. It'd have bought Larsson 3 yrs before he took over the starting role, with Varlamov backing him up in the last year.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have to wonder if it becomes an option to send him to GR and bring Pickard for awhile. It's not like anyone is going to pick Howard off waivers, and maybe he could get his game back together down there rather than getting shelled in the NHL.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It would be nice, he is another player I would like to see the team just move on from. I guess I am still a little tainted from the Holland years, Yzerman is too smart to sign him again or if he does it will be a one year. I just remember in the Holland days you would think this is finally the last year on someone and then nope.....

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I have to wonder if it becomes an option to send him to GR and bring Pickard for awhile. It's not like anyone is going to pick Howard off waivers, and maybe he could get his game back together down there rather than getting shelled in the NHL.

That might shatter whatever is left of his ego/confidence... he just looks and sounds defeated. Like he knows he's got very little left and is trying to keep it together for his last season.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Yea I think he's done. He had a good run, too bad he wasn't born earlier - if we'd had him instead of Legace there'd be more Cup banners in the rafters.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pick up another meh goalie, split them with Bernier, wait for Larsson to be ready to start backing up at the NHL and ease him into the NHL.

You might be waiting forever if you put your trust in Larsson. He has been very bad in just about every international game he played...for years. He also failed to compete with Pickard so far in Grand Rapids. Larsson's only "success" came from playing junior/college leagues. You never know with goalies...but certainly not encouraging. Redwings have better goalies in their system.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
His ego is too big to accept this.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
There may be opportunity to unload him now. I was just reading that the Leafs are looking for a backup, and the Sharks need any sort of warm body for their crease.

I'd be very happy going with Bernier and Pickard the rest of the season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There may be opportunity to unload him now. I was just reading that the Leafs are looking for a backup, and the Sharks need any sort of warm body for their crease.

I'd be very happy going with Bernier and Pickard the rest of the season.

We'd have to make the salary work with both of those teams. With SJ, maybe we could take back Dillon and Dell or something. With Toronto, I'm not sure how it could work. Their cap and roster is so tight.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I could see Yzerman bringing him back for another year. I wouldn't want to put a young goalie in front of this roster. Although if Howard isn't looking for just a pay check, there is no way he should want to come back.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You might be waiting forever if you put your trust in Larsson. He has been very bad in just about every international game he played...for years. He also failed to compete with Pickard so far in Grand Rapids. Larsson's only "success" came from playing junior/college leagues. You never know with goalies...but certainly not encouraging. Redwings have better goalies in their system.

better to know what you have at least so they can know what holes they need to fill.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
He's the best first period goalie I've ever seen. I'm not even poking fun at the past week or so of collapses. He has always shined the first 20 minutes and then struggled as the game progressed.

They have to do something. His mindset is fried and Bernier is downright awful.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Yea I think he's done. He had a good run, too bad he wasn't born earlier - if we'd had him instead of Legace there'd be more Cup banners in the rafters.

Sheeeet. If Osgood hadn't pulled his groin in 2006, no doubt Babcock goes with him in over flailin' Manny, and we might have another banner in the rafters.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad