Is it realistic to think that LV can make the playoffs in 3 years?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
There are people out there thst believe the Leafs won't be a playoff team in 3 years despite all their young talent and cap space after this year

Yet somehow an expansion team is realistic?

Really?

As someone else wrote, the Panthers made it in Year 3 after an expansion draft where teams were allowed to protect 1 goalie, 5 dmen and 9 forwards...

And the day following the expansion draft, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and San Jose had the possibility to pick 3 players drafted the previous day.

PS: The Panthers went to the Cup Finals in that Year 3...

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Their GM would have to luck into a young 1st liner and 1st pair D and a good goalie in the expansion draft. Then draft really well for the 3 years. Even then, it would be really tough.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So the Leafs are still 3-5 years away but Vegas can make it in 3?
No chance unless they hire Jauques Lemaire.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Judging from how the NHL expanded from the Original Six, I'd say no. The 1970 and 1971 playoffs were blowouts, with St. Louis losing each time to established teams. At first LV would be loaded with surplus veterans on bad contracts.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
It's certainly possible. It depends on how well they do in the expansion draft and what kind of prospect they get in the 2017 Draft (will have at least the 6th pick). Also a factor, is hoow the team/coaching gel together.

A lot crazier things have happened in sports. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they made the playoffs in their third year.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nashville didn't make it until the 6th year, but I think we've only missed it three times the 12 years since then. Our problem is, we've only won 3 rounds in those 9 playoff years.

Regnes

Feb 14, 2015
Prince George, BC
Well, it is going to be interesting to see how long before Las Vegas has a competitive season. With the expansion draft changes, there's going to be a lot more talent on the team to start than previous expansion teams.

Who knows, maybe they will land Nolan Patrick too.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
in the east? sure. West? no. Way too many contenders and up coming teams like Edm, Jets, Flames, Ari, etc.

It depends on how good management will be as well, but I agree. The West is just too stacked and on top of that as you mentioned, there are a bunch of up and coming teams as well. They're in for a world of hurt for a few years at least.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Vegas isn't going to be getting a crap player from every team. Most teams will be having a decent/good player picked up.

I don't think they'll make the playoffs in their first year. But I don't think it's impossible for them to make the playoffs in...say...their third year.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
What most fail to realize is the huge advantage Las Vegas will have on home ice. The other team will be exhausted from all the drinking, gambling and ladies they've been doing the night before, or they're going to look forward to doing all that after the game, depending on when they arrived to Las Vegas. Las Vegas will have a huge advantage when it comes to this and will most likely win 20-25 extra home games because of this.

Now what Las Vegas will need to do is stay away from players who likes drinking, gambling and ladies and they will be ok. They should try and get a solid team of veteran family guys who are all about team success like Mikko Koivu and Jonathan Toews and they'll be fine. I think they might come Ccose to the playoffs the first year and make it the second year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If McPhee treats Vegas like he did Washington's rebuild, I expect a slightly longer turnaround than 3 years. Not tremendously so, but maybe 4-5 years. If he handles Vegas the same way, I expect he'll try to recoup value on any expansion draft picks that don't fit his long term plan. I'd expect more than a handful of trades of guys with shorter contracts or a higher age in order to add prospects and draft picks to his pool.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We need to have a look at who they get in the expansion draft first. They should have a decent chance at landing a legit starting goalie (e.g. MAF), or maybe a pretty good young goalie.

After that though, they'll be a team with everyone slotted too high. Second pairing dmen playing top pairing minutes, 3rd liners on your 2nd line, etc.

They'll need to land a legit top prospect to build a team around, and one that's NHL ready. Because they'll have depth, but no legit elite talent.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Interesting to see how many teams pay Vegas off to not pick unprotected players as well. Vegas could end up with a lot of draft picks this summer. Get lucky with a few of those and they could be dangerous. If they get 1OA even more so.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There's so much parity in the league among the bottom ~2/3rds of the league that i wouldn't completely write it off as a possibility.

It'll depend on what sort of talent ends up actually being available in the expansion draft. And of course, what their building philosophy is - specifically, how many bad contracts they're willing to take on to compete a bit sooner.

I think if we do see them competitive early, it will be at the expense of some really ugly years not too long after. As a result of the terrible deals they'll have to take on/sign UFAs to in order to accomplish that. The picks they'll have to move to make things work. The prospects they won't be getting to start filling out an actual prospect pool that's starting from zero. etc.

There's something really egregious about the idea of being gifted a completely "clean slate", and then immediately sullying it with the sorts of contracts that teams around the league are desperate to unload. But if Vegas ownership really are as intent on winning ASAP, and the NHL are really determined to make sure this team isn't a farce right off the bat...I could see it ending up with something like that. Maybe into the playoffs for a year, 4 and out...then years of dealing with cap nightmares and not a lot of youth in the pipeline.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Depends if there's a starter-caliber goalie left unprotected. If Fleury or one of the Dallas pair are available, they could sneak in the first year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad