Beginners: Is it necessary for a six year old to play summer hockey

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Totally disagree.
3 on 3 IS, essentially, pond hockey, just an organized form in a much fairer format.

And almost every young kid who's good does other sports...ju ju depends on the degree and commitment.

I'm sorry you're so disconnected with reality here.

3on3 leagues are starting to get political and parents/coaches are pushing them way too young. There's a thing called growing ORGANIC love for the game and that is when you play (pond) with no outside pressure to perform. Spring teams are starting to make it about winning even at 6&7 yrs old.

Sorry again i know you're new to the landscape of minor/ spring hockey. Even Gretzky said the game is getting too structured for the kids and that's why you see more vanilla players who play the same.

But you probably haven't coached aaa hockey and seen things first hand. I can excuse your ignorance on this one.

Again, we're talking about 6 year olds

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I'm sorry you're so disconnected with reality here.

3on3 leagues are starting to get political and parents/coaches are pushing them way too young. There's a thing called growing ORGANIC love for the game and that is when you play (pond) with no outside pressure to perform. Spring teams are starting to make it about winning even at 6&7 yrs old.

Sorry again i know you're new to the landscape of minor/ spring hockey. Even Gretzky said the game is getting too structured for the kids and that's why you see more vanilla players who play the same.

But you probably haven't coached aaa hockey and seen things first hand. I can excuse your ignorance on this one.

Again, we're talking about 6 year olds

I'm talking about 6-9yr olds, yes. My boy is 8.

Spring teams are not 3 on 3, so you're conflating the two. 3 on 3 is generally a summertime thing for the loosely organised leagues... but there are often no playoffs or prizes awarded, and the emphasis is on fun. And it allows for a lot of free skating and creativity, which is why I enjoy it so much for my boy as well as for his friends.

Why would I have to have coached AAA hockey to see it's benefit as a modified form of pond hockey? I feel like you're the one who's disconnected here.

Spring teams are different - they can be political, for sure, and ultra-competitive. And they also have their benefits, and it's not for every kid.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
I'm talking about 6-9yr olds, yes. My boy is 8.

Spring teams are not 3 on 3, so you're conflating the two. 3 on 3 is generally a summertime thing for the loosely organised leagues... but there are often no playoffs or prizes awarded, and the emphasis is on fun. And it allows for a lot of free skating and creativity, which is why I enjoy it so much for my boy as well as for his friends.

Why would I have to have coached AAA hockey to see it's benefit as a modified form of pond hockey? I feel like you're the one who's disconnected here.

Spring teams are different - they can be political, for sure, and ultra-competitive. And they also have their benefits, and it's not for every kid.

Sorry you didn't understand me, i'll explain it simpler (lamer) for you so we can have dialogue (discussion).

3on3 occurs in the spring (after winter). You're misinterpreting what i'm saying so please pay attention if you want to have a discussion. You'll see when kids get to bantam, there's lots of players who won't start until 8 and will be better and more creative than the early 3on3 players. But you don't see what i see and you don't know how to evaluate talent, so i'll excuse you on this one.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Sorry you didn't understand me, i'll explain it simpler (lamer) for you so we can have dialogue (discussion).

3on3 occurs in the spring (after winter). You're misinterpreting what i'm saying so please pay attention if you want to have a discussion. You'll see when kids get to bantam, there's lots of players who won't start until 8 and will be better and more creative than the early 3on3 players. But you don't see what i see and you don't know how to evaluate talent, so i'll excuse you on this one.

You're pretty funny. I'm guessing it's not intentional.

3 on 3 leagues happen all the time actually, and in Ontario, and for most of Canada from what I know . . . it's mostly a summertime thing. Lot of tournaments over the holidays and March Break too.

So, that's a fact.

What's also a fact, is that in Ontario and most other places, spring teams are actual full teams, generally playing 5 on 5 in the period of time after playoffs/season end (when tryouts are done) and the beginning of summer break for the kids. Usually it's a higher class team, generally AA and up, and usually they just enter tournaments.

That is also a fact.

So . . . what were you explaining again?
Or are you seriously just a troll . . . on a minor hockey talk site?

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
You're pretty funny. I'm guessing it's not intentional.

3 on 3 leagues happen all the time actually, and in Ontario, and for most of Canada from what I know . . . it's mostly a summertime thing. Lot of tournaments over the holidays and March Break too.

So, that's a fact.

What's also a fact, is that in Ontario and most other places, spring teams are actual full teams, generally playing 5 on 5 in the period of time after playoffs/season end (when tryouts are done) and the beginning of summer break for the kids. Usually it's a higher class team, generally AA and up, and usually they just enter tournaments.

That is also a fact.

So . . . what were you explaining again?
Or are you seriously just a troll . . . on a minor hockey talk site?

Too long, didn't read.

I'm not conversing with a dinosaur who isn't open to real discussion.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Nothing wrong with once a week 3 on 3. My son played 3 on 3 for the last 5-6 years. No pressure, no stress just fun and creativity. Totally against spring 5 on 5 hockey.

If it is once a week and golf and baseball are the rest of the time, lots of time to enjoy other sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad