Line Combos: Is it Lindholm's job to lose on our 4th line?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As we all know after our top 3 Centers, the Leafs are not deep at this position, putting Lindholm in the mix for the 4th line duties especially with his ability to kill penalties and keep in mind that he has decent offensive skills as well

With the departure of Moore and Aaltonen the other options we have are Jooris and Gauthier. I am not sure if the management or the coaches have enough confidence to go with either. Jooris has yet to play a full season in the NHL and Gauthier hasn't impressed so far with his NHL career (at least Babcock is not)

It's going to be an interesting pre season (training camp), as I am not sure how Lindholm is going to adjust to NHL style and to the smaller rinks

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Most seem to assume Lindholm has the inside track on the job, but there are some other options. He'll have to earn it at camp.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think it's his to lose. It's obviously a given that he has to earn it, but it's widely believed that he is the most likely candidate to earn it.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The thing with Lindholm is you never know how a player is going to adapt to NA ice size and game. As much as you hope someone at 26 can adapt easily, we've seen players flop quite a bit. Sure there have been success stories but a lot haven't worked out for us. By all accounts he's a smart player.

He's going to have to prove himself and adapt, so it's good to hear he has come over a little early to get some summer skates in. The other good news is with our 3 centres above him, he just needs to play a safe 7-8 minutes a game. If he can't do that then you look at Jooris or Gauthier.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
In the sense that there's a lack of competition, yes. But if he doesn't look good enough in training camp, this team is no nonsense, they won't hand him a job. They will seek out a replacement.

I do wonder if the Leafs might go with a 4th line committee of wingers (Ennis, Kapanen, Leivo, etc.) who can kind of play center plus spotting in the top 9 wingers who can take center shifts between them (Nylander, Marleau, Marner). Wingers are taking a lot of the faceoffs anyways now depending upon the side. The main issue is always going to be defensive zone coverage. Any NHLer should have the stamina to handle the extra defensive ice coverage playing center on the 4th line.

As crazy as it seems, the waiver period at the end of training camp could be the best time to find someone else to audition for this role. Probably not on waivers but available on the trade market for a late draft pick.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
hard to say it's his to lose considering he's never played over here

but on the other hand

the competition for the 4th line C spot is pretty dismal

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Our forward lines are set imo:

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Leivo Lindholm Brown
Jooris

Lindhilm is an unknown here, but he is also the olympian.

Gauthier Grundstrom Ennis etc. have to steal spots if they want to be on the team, otherwise they will have to wait for injuries to play this year.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Our forward lines are set imo:

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Leivo Lindholm Brown
Jooris

Lindhilm is an unknown here, but he is also the olympian.

Gauthier Grundstrom Ennis etc. have to steal spots if they want to be on the team, otherwise they will have to wait for injuries to play this year.
Lindholm also played first line sweden hockey the whole season. He a big thang out there. PP dirt and all. A real killa for scrilla. He now has to adapt to our smaller role and do thangs there. Move thangs. With a whole different role, that's real difficult for some human beings. He now plays 7min per game. That some dirt right there. He now has to do different type of thangs while still keep some of his identity. Maybe get some cool offense while at it. He can do that for surely. Might be a very dangerous weapon for us.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That certainly seems to be managements plan and hope when they signed him.

However the same was said when Leafs signed Miro Aaltonen and Petri Kontiola in the past of undrafted Euro vets, and we all saw how that turned out. So you never know what you're going to get in these cases its like the prize in a cracker jack box.

Lets just hope the trend that doesn't continue it that Leafs continue to toss away 2nd round picks at the trade deadline for 4th line rental centres like Brian Boyle and Tomas Plekanec, when they realize their summer UFA Euro signings don't pan out.

Cross your fingers :crossfing, that Pär Lindholm does work out as planned and 3rd time is the charm, but then again as a 4th line C playing ~8 minutes a night including killing a few penalties isn't a high bar of expectations that shouldn't be able to be achieved.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Seems to me that he has highest chance but never know. Expect 4th line to be Leivo/Ennis Lindholm Brown/Kapanen. Pretty good for 4th line! Depend on injuries and possible lineup adjustment vs other team. Forward lines are going to be scary good. Defense could need some help for that rh shot defense-man but think will be addressed sooner or later.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I believe Babcock did specifically mention him when talking about centres over the summer (maybe at the Tavares signing?) So I think he's the front-runner, but I would say it's more his job to win than his job to lose.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At the moment it seems like it, theres not really another viable option.

Though I wonder if the Leafs will sign a pto centre at camp for some extra competition

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
As we all know after our top 3 Centers, the Leafs are not deep at this position, putting Lindholm in the mix for the 4th line duties especially with his ability to kill penalties and keep in mind that he has decent offensive skills as well

With the departure of Moore and Aaltonen the other options we have are Jooris and Gauthier. I am not sure if the management or the coaches have enough confidence to go with either. Jooris has yet to play a full season in the NHL and Gauthier hasn't impressed so far with his NHL career (at least Babcock is not)

It's going to be an interesting pre season (training camp), as I am not sure how Lindholm is going to adjust to NHL style and to the smaller rinks
I would be totally shocked if he wasn't a lock for 4th line center... it is definitely his to lose at camp. Jooris would have to have a monster camp, and Lindholm not look like the player he is. If this works out the way we all hope, it really could be a perfect match and solidify us as having the most powerful C position in the league.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Unless the team is hesitant about exposing either of Jooris or Gauthier to waivers, I think Lindholm should make the team as 4C, with perhaps either of the aforementioned as the spare forward.

Particularly if we go with one spare F and two spare D, I'd expect that spare F to be at least a part-time centre.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Though I wonder if the Leafs will sign a pto centre at camp for some extra competition

Jooris can play center and was one just a year ago. Gauthier might get a chance if he's back to improving if the AHL playoffs are an indication. Or maybe the team does go with 4th line by committee. Nylander could easily put in a few extra minutes centering the fourth line, couldn't he?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Jooris can play center and was one just a year ago. Gauthier might get a chance if he's back to improving if the AHL playoffs are an indication. Or maybe the team does go with 4th line by committee. Nylander could easily put in a few extra minutes centering the fourth line, couldn't he?

Jooris maybe, I doubt the goat plays another nhl game other than the odd injury fill in.

I suppose the committee thing is an option, but would presume Babcock will want a guy who we can use also on the pk.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
4th line centre is not Lindhom’s to lose. As several posters have said, he still has to show he can make the transition from the big ice game to the tighter North American game. A player who has to prove something as major as that is not a lock.

But he certainly has the opportunity to win the position, in fact, the best opportunity on the present roster.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
we've had too many of these euro centers come over and suck for us to think he's got the job already.

Reactions: nuck

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I won't be shocked to see Ennis get a shot at it , even though he's not a guy you want ever playing center on a top 3 line.

Reactions: Menzinger

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
4th line centre is not Lindhom’s to lose. As several posters have said, he still has to show he can make the transition from the big ice game to the tighter North American game. A player who has to prove something as major as that is not a lock.

But he certainly has the opportunity to win the position, in fact, the best opportunity on the present roster.

In other words, it is his to lose... maybe not a lock, but they brought him over for this very specific reason, and seem to be rather confident in his ability to drive that role. He would really have to s#$* the bed not to start the season in that spot.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
fool-me-once-shame-on-you-fool-me-twice-shame-5628246.png

Going to have to see this with my own eyes before I'm willing to commit to these hail marry UFA/undrafted Euro signings and penciling them into roster spots.

I never got fooled with Kontiola nor with Aaltonen, so I'm not going to start now.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It is his to lose but it is concerning they don't have any good fall back option. N. Shore or Vermette would be smart adds, even on PTOs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad