Is it just me? (Update: No Bounce Posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I actually think the solution is simple:

1. Have the discussion, which we're having, and that's good.
  2. People need to report content that breaks site rules. Young children are on this forum, I'm going to make sure we're setting a good example for these kids.
  3. The moderators need to be vigilant in enforcing the rules. From my experience, I believe they are when they are made aware of issues, but I'm not sure if there's enough active monitoring?

So the part of that that isn't working that well is the self reporting, and that's up to all of us. I'm for sure going to be less shy about hitting that report button. I don't expect everything to be actioned, but at least it helps out the mods.

I guess the other part of it is, if you're posting stuff that's innapropriate, expect it might be removed, and don't whine and cry like you're the victim of some heinous crime. Sometimes you cross the line, sometimes you get your wrist slapped, move on.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
13+ actually...

Wow.

So they changed that.

Well then. If you are going to allow 13 year olds then one has to censor some content. Children don't have the cognitive capacity to truly comprehend things and make logical decisions at that age. Especially 13. That's why you see so many dummies prancing around following other dummies and telling adults what to do. Easy to indoctrinate/influence a child.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
We’ve always let posters have more of a say in HFOil than other boards. We’re not voting on the rules, but the severity to which people would like to see the rules are applied. The decision still comes down to the mods, and admins

Except that’s a subjective term. Some gifs crossed that line, but not all of them.

To be clear, I’m on the side of not having them immediately visible. I’m just letting people know that the rules have in fact changed. A lot of our long time posters might not have been aware of it

Honestly the impression I've gotten from this thread is if you followed that rule the way its worded (Classy pictures of Melissa are fine as they aren't sexually orientated while stuff like bouncing tits gifs are no good for that reason), people would be fine with it. The rule is more objective than you are making it out to be imo and you're just opening up a bag of worms with this poll

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Go live in a cave, lord, you sound like you'd be fun at parties.
If said gifs were against the rules then people would be getting banned for posting them as mods police everything else quite well.
We're literally commenting on a game that most watch on TV while posting on here... if you're that offended you may as well turn off the tv too and just stop watching games.

The discussion is only coming from the peoplel that are bothered, and as has been pointed out, they seem to be random posters coming out of the woodwork.
I rarely post gifs, but i posted one Katie Perry gif last night. I'm not sure if that classifies as offensive to some of you easily offended people, but 13 year old girls watch katie perry videos.

If y'all easily rattled individuals are that offended then i guess the spoiler idea is the best idea, but i'd rather not have to increase my clicking time so that i can see some boob reaections while watching sports with the boys.

I never once said I was offended. In fact, I actively went out of my way to state that I was in the opposite camp, in the interest of not having a response predictably take that position. The discussion isn't only coming from people who are bothered. I know because I'm one of them. "Random posters coming out of the woodwork" are still part of this board, and a bigger one than you'd think. You think I didn't browse HF for years before finally signing up to ask a question? I know I'm not the only one.

I couldn't find that post with the Katy Perry gif, so I can't comment on that. I can tell you I am the opposite of "easily offended", but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of thinking about other members of my community.For example, I love cussing, do it very liberally. I do it in public, and if someone expresses a distaste for it, I don't get worked up and call people easily offended, I respectfully aplogise and watch my tongue. It's not hard.

If you want to see some boob reactions while watching sports with the boys, browse a titty subreddit with the boys. If you wanna discuss hockey, come to HF.

Reactions: Aerrol and North

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow.

So they changed that.

Well then. If you are going to allow 13 year olds then one has to censor some content. Children don't have the cognitive capacity to truly comprehend things and make logical decisions at that age. Especially 13. That's why you see so many dummies prancing around following other dummies and telling adults what to do. Easy to indoctrinate/influence a child.

AGEist!

;)

jk aside there was never an +18 sign in or verification process here.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Wow.

So they changed that.

Spoilers: Your 13 year old is seeing and hearing way, way more than bounce gifs.

But they are kind of tacky so maybe spoiler tag is the answer.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
@ThePhoenixx must have some weird mommy settings on his computer. ;)

Not trying to start anything.

Strictly a joke.

carry on

I was a child care counselor and worked in some YACs'.

Sounds like you could of used one when you were younger, Mr. Uppity. Some behavior management may have done you some good. ;)

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Hypothetical situation. Let's pretend that this site was 99% female. In every PGT, 99% of the posters post images of male strippers flapping their schlongs celebrating the win. There are no images of females in the thread. Would you: A. Post pictures of males swinging their schlongs to fit in? B. Ignore every PGT because you don't want to see these types of pictures? C. Stop posting and visiting in general because you find this material doesn't suit your taste?
99% of people are posting male stripper gifs? I’d let them have their fun and find a different forum. But if it’s 1% (like here), I’d block a few posters and carry on.

Reactions: Dashh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We’ve always let posters have more of a say in HFOil than other boards. We’re not voting on the rules, but the severity to which people would like to see the rules are applied. The decision still comes down to the mods, and admins

Except that’s a subjective term. Some gifs crossed that line, but not all of them.

To be clear, I’m on the side of not having them immediately visible. I’m just letting people know that the rules have in fact changed. A lot of our long time posters might not have been aware of it

The bolded doesn't necessarily do this board any favors in relation to other boards. It might just be accepting and condoning an unfortunate standard. The bolded just allows our board to appear more sophomoric and infantile. Take that as just one bit of feedback. I refuse to participate in the poll on the grounds there shouldn't be a poll, and there probably shouldn't be subset different rules here at hfoil.

Recently after the Canes game I made a point of dropping into that board and was blown away by how appropriate it was, how the convo was, how much it was based on hockey. Just a takeaway side point but the board also had so many CORDIAL discussions and really felt like what I would prefer this place to be. There was certainly disagreement, but it was civilly expressed.

Reactions: harpoon

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The bolded doesn't necessarily do this board any favors in relation to other boards. It might just be accepting and condoning an unfortunate standard. The bolded just allows our board to appear more sophomoric and infantile. Take that as just one bit of feedback. I refuse to participate in the poll on the grounds there shouldn't be a poll, and there probably shouldn't be subset different rules here at hfoil.

Recently after the Canes game I made a point of dropping into that board and was blown away by how appropriate it was, how the convo was, how much it was based on hockey. Just a takeaway side point but the board also had so many CORDIAL discussions and really felt like what I would prefer this place to be. There was certainly disagreement, but it was civilly expressed.
Might also be related to the Tech Triangle becoming a hub for Fortune-500 companies. Formal sensitivity training really helps one uncover the impact one's biases has on one's coworkers from different backgrounds.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
99% of people are posting male stripper gifs? I’d let them have their fun and find a different forum.

We have/had female posters here. They have left or do not post often or hide their genders. Similar for gay males. I guess this site is a hetero man-only site? I don't mind hearing from posters of the opposite sex, but with the amount of fetishes exposed in the PGT's from some posters, I would not like it if my wife or (hypothetical) daughters started to talk 'hockey' here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was a child care counselor and worked in some YACs'.

Sounds like you could of used one when you were younger, Mr. Uppity. Some behavior management may have done you some good. ;)

heh, I worked in them as well. Wouldn't have helped me. I'm innately irreverent. Or worse.

lol that I would go to work furthering control while reading such things as Summerhill school on the way to work wondering how did I get to this place..

My life is a study in contrasts.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Wait....there's something wrong with that? Ummm...

giphy.gif
See now that I like lol.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
We have/had female posters here. They have left or do not post often or hide their genders. Similar for gay males. I guess this site is a hetero man-only site? I don't mind hearing from posters of the opposite sex, but with the amount of fetishes exposed in the PGT's from some posters, I would not like it if my wife or (hypothetical) daughters started to talk 'hockey' here.
Curvy women are not a fetish.
And yes, this is a hetero-male majority forum. If gifs unnerve them, there is a block function. Same as averting your eyes from the cheerleaders at sporting events. Do what you want, without infringing on others.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Just wanted to give everyone the official update. We as a mod team have decided to ban the bounce.gif posts. While “babe posts” aren’t necessarily against forum rules, this is the second time things had progressed to the point where the content posted was violating forum rules, and people were no longer comfortable with it. This a great board, filled with great people, and we want to make sure it stays a place that is welcoming to everyone. We appreciate everyone’s feedback, and for being able to have an honest, respectful, conversation about the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad