Is It Just Me Or Is This A Really Good Draft for Defenceman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
This draft seems very deep in terms of defense prospects: Jack Johnson, Luc Bourdon, Marc Staal, Ryan Parent, Brian Lee, Jakub Kindl, Matt Lashoff, Brendan Mikkelson, Scott Jackson, Michael Sauer, Matt Niskanen, Adam McQuaid, Kris Letang, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Dustin Kohn, Danny Syvret, Chad Denny, Oskars Bartulins, Mark Fraser, Jonathen Sigalet, Nate Hagemo, Devereaux Hesmetpour, Slava Buravchikov, Jakub Vojta, Teemu Laakso, Tomas Kudelka, Vitali Anikeyenko, Risto Korhonen, and Niklas Hjarlmarsson. Is this draft very good or is it just normal and overhyped for defence prospects?

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
And a bunch of good dman coming from the Q : Letang, Gragnani, Paquet, This guy from Lewiston...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
it's a nice draft for GOOD to AVERAGE defensemen...but it lacks the high end of a year like 2003. Johnson is the only guy that I think has first pairing potential...and guys like Staal, Bourdon, Parent are on the next level down.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
there is a lot of depth among dmen but i question how many future top pair guys they are...lots of 2nd and 3rd pair guys would still be depth

turnbuckle*

Ssshh!!

I've been tryin' to keep it secret. It's not like the Habs couldn't use a defensive prospect or two.

Nice list.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Wheres Hagemo expected to go in this draft? I was pretty impressed with him at the wjc. Him and Suter seemed to be the only decent dmen on the US blueline. I know Lee is gonna probably still go ahead of him, cuase of potential and whatnot, but i liked what i saw of Hagemo...Seemed to me like him and Suter were the only two that werent a liability out there

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
nomorekids said:
it's a nice draft for GOOD to AVERAGE defensemen...but it lacks the high end of a year like 2003. Johnson is the only guy that I think has first pairing potential...and guys like Staal, Bourdon, Parent are on the next level down.

That's pretty much the way I see it. I wouldn't personally touch another defenseman in the top 10 besides Johnson. That's not to say that I don't like some of the available players as prospects, but just that I feel that, as you said, they are good to average defensive prospects.

For depth its a great defensive draft. For high end potential defenseman its a horrible draft IMO.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Agree with NMK and Brock. Saw this thread earlier and was going to post pretty much the same thing. There are some guys that could turn out to be gems(and they won't be taken very early), but as far as most of the ones projected to go in the first round, it's just kinda meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad