Is it just me or is (about 2005 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
IMO, Daniel Bertram I think will be a better prospect than Gilbert Brule. Though I like Brule's game and everything as I think he is a talent that only comes around every so many years, I just think Bertram is better. Though Bertram might opt out of 2005 and into 2006 if he is in 2005 I don't think Brule is alone as the best prospect from the West as I think Bertram is better.

Seen both play afew times, as I seen Brule and Bertram last year at the Canada Winter Games a few times, seen mostly Brule this year at the U17s (Bertram got hurt), and I seen Bertram last year at the Royal Bank Cup. So its not like I am only making this assumption based on hear say or just seeing one game, I have seen these guys alot and I think Bertram is a better player offensivly, and he does not lack defensive play either and is not scared of rough play, I think Bertram is the fastest skater his age.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
moosefan said:
IMO, Daniel Bertram I think will be a better prospect than Gilbert Brule. Though I like Brule's game and everything as I think he is a talent that only comes around every so many years, I just think Bertram is better. Though Bertram might opt out of 2005 and into 2006 if he is in 2005 I don't think Brule is alone as the best prospect from the West as I think Bertram is better.

Seen both play afew times, as I seen Brule and Bertram last year at the Canada Winter Games a few times, seen mostly Brule this year at the U17s (Bertram got hurt), and I seen Bertram last year at the Royal Bank Cup. So its not like I am only making this assumption based on hear say or just seeing one game, I have seen these guys alot and I think Bertram is a better player offensivly, and he does not lack defensive play either and is not scared of rough play, I think Bertram is the fastest skater his age.

Bertram is phenoemnol. I agree with this assessment.

Also, did you see him get hurt at the U-17's? I heard it was a scary/breath taking event.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:

Also, did you see him get hurt at the U-17's? I heard it was a scary/breath taking event.

Maybe Steve (a.k.a. Mooseman) can comment on it more because he was there, but from all assessments from their team reps I was talking to it looked alot worse than it is :)

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I can agree, I know a couple guys who play on the Camrose AJHL team with him, one is an 84 born who has always been a great scorer and is behind the 87 Bertram, he is just incredibly impressed by him. Brule is great though, I'm not sure who'd I'd pick right now, its 50/50. There sure is alot of talent coming out of the West for the 05 age group, from scoring to defense to goaltending, just across the board, it'll be interesting to see how they develop next year.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Schlep Rock said:

it looked pretty bad, and I was talking to him at the next game, he said its not that bad, should be out about6 weeks he said, but he was leaving the next day to go back to the West to get things looked at.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
moosefan said:

I'm sorry I've seen Brule in person and IMO Brule is definitly the better of the two.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Don't forget about Devin Setoguchi from Sasakatoon Blades...He is playing on a team with only 6 wins in 51 games and has 25 points in 43 games as is one of the only bright spots on the team!!

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
WHL Follower said:
Don't forget about Devin Setoguchi from Sasakatoon Blades...He is playing on a team with only 6 wins in 51 games and has 25 points in 43 games as is one of the only bright spots on the team!!
Agreed..In the U-17 Setoguchi was excellent
Setoguchi/Brule/Bradford line was dominate

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
GOBRUINS19 said:
Agreed..In the U-17 Setoguchi was excellent
Setoguchi/Brule/Bradford line was dominate

And there's also Durand, Drazenovic and Jones, they could all turn out quite well as 05ers from the Dub, there is alot of offense coming from the west soon IMO.

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
hey

bertram is awsome, hes a ***** to play against on the ice but teh greatest guy ever of the ice, hes a real class act!!!!!!!!!!! he told me he will be back a week before playoffs start so that is good, i also think he is leaning towards a sholly from the way he is talking, if he wanted to play in teh whl, he woulda left this year instead of playing in the ajhl.

get better soon bert!!!!!!!!!

keep up the hard work buddy!!!

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
kruezer said:
And there's also Durand, Drazenovic and Jones, they could all turn out quite well as 05ers from the Dub, there is alot of offense coming from the west soon IMO.

Riley Merkley is good as well, he reminds me of Ryan Getzlaf.

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I'm friends with Greg Gardner from the Prince George Cougars. Do you have any idea where he is projected at this point, Moosefan? On another site he was listed with the top 30 from the Dub but it was'nt in order. And for my opinion on the Brule Bertram question I would say Brule is the better player although i've only seen each one play a handful of times.

Last edited:

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
hey

I have played with gardner, and played against him and i dont see how he made it to the WHL this year, that's just my opinion, he hasn't shown me anything to be hyped up about.

sundinfan13

Dec 26, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Just in case anyone wanted to know. Danny Bertram's peronal e-mail address is on his team's site. Not saying everyone should bother him, I just think it's kinda cool that someone with as much hype as him made his e-mail public.

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
Camrose AJHL Team

Bertram looked great playing for the Camrose. I'm from there, so I saw him play a few times. I've never seen Brule live though, so I can't really make a comparison. By the way, Kruezer, who do you know on the Kodiaks? I was born in 84, so I may have gone to high school with the guy if he's been there a while.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I have seen Brule play in person and on TV, but I haven't seen Bertram. While I guess it's possible, it's hard for me to believe. Brule is truely a magician on the ice.

These two guys lead me to believe Crosby is NOT a slam dunk to go #1 overall in 2005. I really feel one of them could unseat him.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Superfluous U said:
Bertram looked great playing for the Camrose. I'm from there, so I saw him play a few times. I've never seen Brule live though, so I can't really make a comparison. By the way, Kruezer, who do you know on the Kodiaks? I was born in 84, so I may have gone to high school with the guy if he's been there a while.
I went to school with (well when he was around) Matt McKnight in Stettler though (and Kyle Smith, but I don't know if he's still playing on the Kodiaks or not, haven't talked to him in forever) not Camrose, he just cruised up there to play AJHL since we don't have an AJHL team.

I really am a big fan of all the 05ers coming out of the 'Dub (and there are lots, especially offensive types) but I really have to disagree Mizral, what Crosby has done is just unreal, I mean Latendresse is a solid player, and probably just slightly below Brule and Bertram and projected top 10 pick in 05 and he doesn't even have half the points Crosby does. I still think the difference is significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad