is it happening that Crosby/Malkin penguins are falling from contender status to a mediocre team??

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I think they'll bounce back as soon as next year provided they can make some moves to sure up their defense. Crosby and Malkin will be world class for at least another five years.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think so. They are declining. I think the Pens will inject some youth, but you can’t just inject elite young players, who can make up for Crosby/Malkin/Letang starting to show their age.

I think they’ll still be a good team for a couple years, but I think this next year might be their last as a serious cup contender.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
One bad playoffs, 2 years removed of winning back to back cups...

EVERYONE POUNCE!

Well, to be fair, HFboards doesn't discriminate with its recency bias.

The board did the same thing to the Kings in 2015 when they missed the playoffs one season after winning the cup, and did it to the Blackhawks in both 2012 and 2017 after getting upset in the 1st round.

Reactions: fivesberg

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I think the Islanders spanking the Pens extra hard is more about Barry Trotz playing Mike Sullivan 4 years in a row than it is an indication of a sudden decline. I don't think most had the Pens any higher than 4th most likely to win in the East going into the playoffs so it's more like the drop off happened throughout this year. I can see the Penguins making the playoffs next year, since most teams are not coached by Barry Trotz.

They won't be the odds on favorite to win anymore, but if Crosby stays consistent and Murray can bail out the defense, they should still make the playoffs and be an outside shot a couple more times.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The defense sucks. That's all there really is to it. Can't move the puck, is slow, can't defend. Doesn't matter what your forwards do when you have to dress either Maatta or Jack Johnson.

Sorry, folks. Malkin just scored over a point per game in an off year and Sid is an MVP candidate. Short memories.

Reactions: Casanova

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Pens won the Cup in 2009 and then struggled in mediocrity for years until they became ahead of the curve of the new NHL... yes Sid and Geno are in their early 30s now but give them a few years to figure things out again (maybe create a semblance of a D-core) and maybe they'll be contenders again. As long as those two can be close to elite they'll always be in it enough to make a run. The fact they've got a young sniper like Guentzel only getting better will help too.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
wow the hot takes. crosby had 100 f***ing points and malkin 70 in a down year. they need a better D, maybe another gritty winger, 3rd line shutdown C...but they'll be around for a while. people forget how much parity there is in NHL

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Rutherford is managing them into the ground. He's acquired Hunwick (since been traded), Johnson, and Gudbranson after putting together back-to-back winners. Plus, there's been other moves like Reaves (ugh...), Oleksiak, and Pearson. The Penguins could put together one last run before 87 and 71 are finished, but management can't get out of their own way.

Reactions: Matsun and Casanova

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The window is closed if JR doesn't recognize the defense is an issue. If he can fix the blueline, I think Crosby and Malkin are still good enough to be the top guys on a Cup winner.

LateSleeper

Apr 12, 2019
Sid is going on 32, Malkin is turning 33 in July.

If they have to play their butt off to make the PS, they will have run out of steam come playoff time, and it will be getting worse. You can't dominate both regular season and playoffs past certain age. Your body won't let you.

member 298589

Still premature, but becomes more likely each year unless they can inject some youthful talent in.

Kresnik

Mar 14, 2011
Sweden
The downfall is inevitable, i don't see them in another SC final with this core. Malkin need better player to work with and the D core need an upgrade i think. But who knows.

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
We'll know for sure when Mario puts the For Sale sign out on 5th Avenue. There's no way he's going to suffer through 11,000 per game again.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Aging super stars, worst prospect pool in the league, questionable goalie locked up to long term contract, terrible defensive core. Yup they're in trouble

Reactions: sharkhawk

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Crosby/Malkin Penguins have always been cyclical based on the roster that's assembled around them, nothing really different here. While the forward group looks pretty good they're likely in for a bit of a rough patch now with that blue line they've assembled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad