Is it fair to call Sweden a Third World Hockey Nation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
How can a country be in a slump when it comes to producing players? You either produce or you don't - it's not as though a lucky bounce just might get their game going again. It's not a confidence issue. 8 years without a medal is a huge sign. Never having won anything of real significance is a bad sign.

Sweden has produced some quality talent in players like Forsberg, Naslund, Alfredsson, Lidstrom, Sundin, etc., but this is their golden generation and they still haven't really done anything with it. All these guys are approx 30 or older. Where's the next generation? The Sedin's? Zetterberg? So what if you can develop players for your own domestic league. It's a domestic league! If you want to be judged as a nation you have to look at your performance on the international stage and the performance, quality and quantity of your countrymen in the best league in the world.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
This is the most ridiculous thread ever.

3rd world hocky nations are mexico, japan, australia...

Sweden is by far a 1st world hockey nation..

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Sweden has taken a step back in the last decade. Who was the last top-flight forward to come out of their developmental system? Henrik Zetterberg? (Note: the Sedin sisters aren't top-flite forwards).

The country's developmental system has spent too much time stressing systems instead of skills. They have produced a decade's worth of plugs and defensive forwards. Not only that, but they are again struggling to churn out quality goaltenders.

Bob McKenzie is one of the most respected hockey minds alive today. Period. Especially when it comes to junior talent. I wouldn't go as far to say Sweden is a third tier hockey country, we're not talking about Denmark, Norway, France or some of the former Soviet nations. But in the last decade, they have taken a step back, and if they aren't considered one now, they'll soon be viewed as a second-tier nation.

Sweden's No. 2 world ranking is thanks largely to their consecutive silver medal finishs at the World Championships. The Worlds have a significant weighting in the world ranking. Same reason Slovakia has hovered in the top 5. Sweden can still ice a team of talented veterans at the Worlds. But the World Cup really exposed Sweden's team for what it really is: an aging team that can fare well early, but after several intense games, they don't have the moxie left to get the job done, and are fodder for stronger opponents. Not only that, they don't have the goaltending to bail them out.

Sweden should still be able to field a competitive team at the 2006 Olympics. If they win a medal, savour it, because it could be the last for a while at the top senior levels. This country will pay for its errors in development over the past 5 to 10 years. 7th and 8th place finishes will become the norm for a long time. Slovakia will displace Sweden amongst the so-called "Big Six."

Somebody listed Sweden's team of 1980-born players. Make a list of the top Swedish under-25 players. Then compare it with that of any other "Big 6" country, or even Slovakia. You'll see what I'm talking about.

For Sweden's sake, I hope the 2003 WJC and the absence of a Swedish playerin the 2004 first round (a weak year, no less) will be the turning point in the country's development program. If it isn't, then mediocrity and Swedish hockey will be synonymous for years to come.

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
wilka91 said:
Bob Mackenzie or Pierre Maguire have no clue about ice hockey!
there are plenty of "experts" and "analists" around hockey. bob definetely doesn't belong to that category imo. the guy knows what he's talking about. :handclap:
i watch tsn just becouse of him.

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
nurminen31 said:
Yeah I was combining the two, and I was talking about recently not historically. Truth is Czechs havent won much recently other than the Gold in 98.

if you coimbinig seniors and juniors can you tell me what accomplishment did you take into account from seniors? what does recently mean for you? i'm just curious.

Jazz

God Bless Canada said:
.....Sweden's No. 2 world ranking is thanks largely to their consecutive silver medal finishs at the World Championships. The Worlds have a significant weighting in the world ranking. Same reason Slovakia has hovered in the top 5. ....

The World Championships make up 90% of the weight for the World Ranking this year, and it will increase to 95% next year (it depends on how recent the only other component, the Olympics, are). And I think that Slovakia is currently 3rd.
:teach:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
rivercanyon said:
Well. First of all. Is the NHL-draft really that accurate at determing future skill? Future is always impossible to tell. There are some serious rawtalents who are selected late - who later become top stars.

But we're talking about current skill. And, currently, they don't have a wealth of top-notch prospects.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
Having watched yesterdays Canada/Sweden game, it was mentioned by either Bob Mackenzie or Pierre Maguire that Sweden was "Once a powerful hockey nation." but "Is now a Third World Nation in hockey."

Is this fair?

I don't have enough information nor knowledge about Swedish hockey to either support or deny the statements made.

Does anybody agree? Disagree?

They had also brought up Swedens 8th (or 6th?) place finnish at last years event. I don't think that is really relivant since Canada ended up in the same situation in '98.

Sweden's senior team is still one of the most talented hockey powers in the world. They've just been underachieving. You look at that swedish blueline, and you could make a case that is right up to par with the Canadian D. And their forward crew especially on the top end is still elite. Obviously, goaltending is a problem and I'm still not sold on their future guy Tellquvist.

The optimistic swede fan will tell you that they've been to 2 consecutive world championship finals..... so you cant put them in the category of latvia or germany just yet.

Evman*

wilka91 said:
Bob Mackenzie or Pierre Maguire have no clue about ice hockey!

The fact you called it "ice hockey" makes your post very, very ironic.

:dunce:

Sweden is slipping, obviously. But third-tier? Depends on your definitions.

C-J...*

Sweden simply never have fully developed juniors like some other countries, last time we were even close was when Forsberg & Naslund was playing. This years nationalteam (junior) is nothing different, but wait 2 years.. The agegroup that will be in the JWC then, have been tearing it up in european tournaments. I just hope they´ll continue developing.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Hart_House_Ca said:
This is the most ridiculous thread ever.

3rd world hocky nations are mexico, japan, australia...

Sweden is by far a 1st world hockey nation..

If Japan is a 3rd world hockey nation, then Mexico and Australia are 4th or 5th world hockey nations ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->