Is Hedman overrated?

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
How do Senators fans underrate Hedman? I think most our fanbase can comfortably agree that Hedman is the 2nd or 3rd best defenseman in the NHL. My top three is Karlsson, Hedman and Doughty but there's loads of debate involving the latter two.

If anything, I've noticed that most Sens fans tend to love players from Sweden.

Anyways, Hedman is an incredible talent and is a top 10 talent in the entire NHL. Tampa Bay is lucky to have such a great player.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How do Senators fans underrate Hedman? I think most our fanbase can comfortably agree that Hedman is the 2nd or 3rd best defenseman in the NHL. My top three is Karlsson, Hedman and Doughty but there's loads of debate involving the latter two.

If anything, I've noticed that most Sens fans tend to love players from Sweden.

Anyways, Hedman is an incredible talent and is a top 10 talent in the entire NHL. Tampa Bay is lucky to have such a great player.

If anything, I've noticed they just want to see them together!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
His work shutting down Kane in the SCF a few years ago was a masterpiece. I've been impressed by him ever since.

Nice to see him getting the shiny point totals that myopic HF posters solely use to evaluate defenseman so he can get some more recognition for his talent.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What are the chances that he has to babysit Dan Girardi this year?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
guy is legit. anyone who says otherwise either:

1. hates tampa
2. has zero knowledge of hockey

size, skating, offensive and defensive awareness, strong break out pass, very good shot.

Literally, there's very little flaw to his game.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I like how the OP is super vague and everyone is just making this their own thread lol.

BTW Hedman is a monster. He will probably win a Norris in his career.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Not sure how good he is defensively, but offensively he's definitely very potent.
It'll be interesting to see if he can maintain 70+ points.

One of these is not like the others:laugh:

Who would that be and why?

Either all belong or both Matthews and Werenski doesn't belong in there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If somebody considered him better than Karlsson they are overrating him. Anything less than that and no he isn't overrated. Karlsson's the best D in the world and Hedman is 2nd IMO.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
When you are a top 10 defense man, its tough to be over rated.
Definitely better offensively, but not terrible defensively.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'm a massive Karlsson fan and I've been high on Hedman since he was drafted.

Could win a Norris in the right season.

I'd say that's fairly rated.

I suspect the OP has some sort of sulking agenda with this thread though.

Pretty much this.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I've always thought a little underrated. But not to any real extent.

It's not like he is under rated like a Backstrom for example.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If somebody considered him better than Karlsson they are overrating him. Anything less than that and no he isn't overrated. Karlsson's the best D in the world and Hedman is 2nd IMO.

Here's my thing with that -

There is a legitimate argument that Hedman had a better season than Karlsson (at least regular season) this past year. Team successes notwithstanding, Hedman came in thought of as a top 5 Dman in the league and got a lot better. He is a possession monster and found a groove to produce points at an insane clip. If Hedman continues *that* level of play, and nothing else changes between the two, there is an argument to be had over which player is better.

But - considering track records - Karlsson is the #1 Dman in the NHL and my vote for #2 skater after Crosby at the moment. His D has improved considerably (to where I would say he can take tough matchups and play them well), and his offense is still deadly.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Overrated? No. I think most people consider him one of the top 5ish dmen in the league, which I think he is. Properly rated.

This. But OP thinks he is number one which is overrating him. Thread likely has some weird agenda.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Who would that be and why?

Either all belong or both Matthews and Werenski doesn't belong in there.

:popcorn: Let's not derail this...but absolutely absurd comment. I mean for starters Matthews just shut Werenski out of the Calder voting I'll just leave it at that day because I don't have all afternoon.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Here's my thing with that -

There is a legitimate argument that Hedman had a better season than Karlsson (at least regular season) this past year. Team successes notwithstanding, Hedman came in thought of as a top 5 Dman in the league and got a lot better. He is a possession monster and found a groove to produce points at an insane clip. If Hedman continues *that* level of play, and nothing else changes between the two, there is an argument to be had over which player is better.

But - considering track records - Karlsson is the #1 Dman in the NHL and my vote for #2 skater after Crosby at the moment. His D has improved considerably (to where I would say he can take tough matchups and play them well), and his offense is still deadly.

Sorry, I know your post is constructed to be objective and respectful, but nonetheless, no: there is no legitimate argument that Hedman had a better season than Karlsson.

Frankly there's no legitimate argument that Burns had a better season than Karlsson either.

That said since you were nice, I'll be nice too and say that Hedman is in my opinion the 2nd best defenseman in the NHL, I think he had the 2nd best year last year, and I think he'll be the 2nd best this year as well.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sorry, I know your post is constructed to be objective and respectful, but nonetheless, no: there is no legitimate argument that Hedman had a better season than Karlsson.

Frankly there's no legitimate argument that Burns had a better season than Karlsson either.

That said since you were nice, I'll be nice too and say that Hedman is in my opinion the 2nd best defenseman in the NHL, I think he had the 2nd best year last year, and I think he'll be the 2nd best this year as well.

Sure thing boss. Convinced me.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think Karlsson is better offensively and Hedman better defensively. Hedman also has a huge size advantage on Karlsson. Here's the thing though, Karlsson didn't produce much more than Hedman last season, so the gap between them was very small if any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad