Is Harkins the next Jets call up

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jansen Harkins - 20 games - 5 goals - 15 assists - 20 points - 16 PIM - Plus 8

First on team in points (tied for third in league)
Second on team in Plus/Minus

Is it Jansen's time next?

Harkins has played only 17 games, 3 pts better than ppg.

I think it is pretty clear that both Chibisov and Niku should be with the Jets right now. With those 2 moves made it is probably best to send Gus down where he can play more. The question would be whether it is better to leave Harkins where he is and replace Gus with 1 of Spacek, Suess or Griffith or to bring Harkins up.

Spacek is already up so I think I would give him a few games at 4C first and then give Harkins a turn there.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

I think it is pretty clear that both Chibisov and Niku should be with the Jets right now. With those 2 moves made it is probably best to send Gus down where he can play more. The question would be whether it is better to leave Harkins where he is and replace Gus with 1 of Spacek, Suess or Griffith or to bring Harkins up.

Spacek is already up so I think I would give him a few games at 4C first and then give Harkins a turn there.
Why Chibisov > Harkins?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

With the way Harkins and Chibisov are playing together, and with how useless Shaw and Luoto have been, call them both up and see how they look. Throw Spacek in too and give Gus some play time on the Moose.

I don't care if we're winning, you'd have to be blind to not see that the fourth line has been bad.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why Chibisov > Harkins?

It isn't Chibisov over Harkins. It is Chibisov over Shaw.

Harkins is the highest scoring and youngest among the group who should be getting looks to replace Gus. That is Harkins, Suess and Spacek. Suess was called up earlier but only given 1 game. He is not looking great so far this season so maybe he doesn't get another chance until he picks up his game a bit. That leaves Spacek and Harkins. Spacek is with the Jets now so might as well get a look while he is here but it is unfair to try and judge him while playing with Luoto and Shaw. The same goes for the other C's. We could add Griffith to the list of bottom 6 C's who should get a look with the Jets.

I think we should be trying to find a 4C among that group rather than continuing with Gus. Gus has been pretty good defensively, considering the wingers he has had. But his poor skating and lack of offense tells me that he should be in the AHL developing rather than playing very limited TOI in the NHL. Give these other prospects a chance to win the job.

Reactions: John Agar

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With the way Harkins and Chibisov are playing together, and with how useless Shaw and Luoto have been, call them both up and see how they look. Throw Spacek in too and give Gus some play time on the Moose.

I don't care if we're winning, you'd have to be blind to not see that the fourth line has been bad.

Yup. Replace the whole line. It is the weakest link right now.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yup. Replace the whole line. It is the weakest link right now.

Shaw and Luoto don't belong anywhere near an NHL rink!

It's hard to imagine players even worse than Gramps Hendricks, Peluso, Mittens, Letestu and countless others but that's what we have now on the jets fourth line.

Frickin Dano would even be an upgrade on the 4th line!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Shaw and Luoto don't belong anywhere near an NHL rink!

It's hard to imagine players even worse than Gramps Hendricks, Peluso, Mittens, Letestu and countless others but that's what we have now on the jets fourth line.

Frickin Dano would even be an upgrade on the 4th line!

Luoto has been particularly disappointing after his strong TC. But playing with Gus and Shaw is not exactly setting him up to succeed. I think it is clear that he is not ready yet though. A little more time in the AHL and he still might make it in the NHL.

Shaw has shown that he does not belong at all. Why is he still here?

Gus has shown potential. He is doing well for a 19 YO getting his first taste of NA hockey. But I don't think he is ready yet either.

It isn't like we don't have other options.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This is surreal. I was grouchy that we didn't take Harkins with the Roslovic pick. I was thrilled we got him in the 2nd, but all indications were he'd done very little to impress since his draft day.

To have him suddenly be a top scorer in the AHL and people (2 plus Sip, I think?) clamoring for his promotion is awesome. Even if he doesn't get the call, it's cool to see some recognition for a guy you've been rooting for.

Reactions: hn777 and Gm0ney

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I distinctly remember watching Harkins in junior and I was high on him as a prospect. He really dropped off the face of the earth for awhile, nice to see him doing so well with the Moose.

My question for fans who follow the Moose closely is this.... Is Harkins playing centre or wing? On the the Moose website I read he was listed as winger.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Wheeler-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Perreault
Vesalainen-Harkins-Chibisov

Morrisey-Niku
Pionk-Kulikov
Beaulieu-Sbisa/Poolman (low minutes)

Reactions: jetsforever

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Jansen Harkins - 20 games - 5 goals - 15 assists - 20 points - 16 PIM - Plus 8

First on team in points (tied for third in league)
Second on team in Plus/Minus

Is it Jansen's time next?
He should be but the way this team uses it's farm team is puzzling at best. They seem to prefer the known quantity of a waiver wire claim. Not to turn this into a free Niku rant but that he is sitting behind 3 waiver wire pick ups makes zero sense.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd like to see Harkins and Chibisov get the call. I figure Gus sticks around until world juniors. Luoto is easy to demote, as he needs a little more work, and confidence. Knowing the Jets Shaw would stick around as PK depth, and RH draw.

But when Apples comes back, maybe Copp-Lowry-Apples, Chibisov-Harkins-Perreault. Bourque as depth.

I'd like to see Chibisov before Harkins, just because I think he can play bigger minutes, up the lineup, and would be a good candidate to replace Copp on the PP that feautres 4 lefties and a righty.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I distinctly remember watching Harkins in junior and I was high on him as a prospect. He really dropped off the face of the earth for awhile, nice to see him doing so well with the Moose.

My question for fans who follow the Moose closely is this.... Is Harkins playing centre or wing? On the the Moose website I read he was listed as winger.

He's been playing C all year.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'd like to see Harkins and Chibisov get the call. I figure Gus sticks around until world juniors. Luoto is easy to demote, as he needs a little more work, and confidence. Knowing the Jets Shaw would stick around as PK depth, and RH draw.

But when Apples comes back, maybe Copp-Lowry-Apples, Chibisov-Harkins-Perreault. Bourque as depth.

I'd like to see Chibisov before Harkins, just because I think he can play bigger minutes, up the lineup, and would be a good candidate to replace Copp on the PP that feautres 4 lefties and a righty.
Copp-Lowry-Perreault are eating their matchups alive. Why mess with that?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Copp-Lowry-Perreault are eating their matchups alive. Why mess with that?

I honestly think Perreault negates the defensive work of the combo, like to see a righty on that wing, that can battle on the walls. But I also think that Perreault on the 4th line gives any 4th line combo an offensive boost and probably 3-5 minutes more a game.

On topic it is difficult to argue that Harkins isn't farther along in the development stage than Gustafsson. I wonder how much longer the experiment will continue.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I wouldn't call up Harkins. Chibisov, Griffith & Lipon are the guys that I would use in that order. PoMo will hate Chibisov though. You aren't allowed to attempt hockey on a PoMo 4th line. Lipon is a perfect PoMo 4th liner. He's Luoto but not stupid with the puck. Less physically gifted, but has actual hockey sense.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I wouldn't call up Harkins. Chibisov, Griffith & Lipon are the guys that I would use in that order. PoMo will hate Chibisov though. You aren't allowed to attempt hockey on a PoMo 4th line. Lipon is a perfect PoMo 4th liner. He's Luoto but not stupid with the puck. Less physically gifted, but has actual hockey sense.

Just curious, why wouldn't you call up Harkins.? Not disagreeing with allot of what you said, its just you didn't give any specific reasons

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Yes he should be the next call up. But not if he’s going to sit in the press box.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The C on that line could be Griffith, Suess or Spacek. I'll go with Griffith first because he is a more experienced, mature player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad