Is Gretzky off anyone's Top 5 list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
RallyKiller said:
remember...wayne never won a cup without Messier, but Messier won without him.
And those 1990 Oilers still had Kurri, Tikannen, Simpson, Anderson, Lowe, Smith, Huddy, Beukeboom, Ranford and the Kid Line. Mark Lamb had 17 points in 1990. No slight to Messier, but I think if you take Messier off that team in 1990, they still win. The only truly indispensible player that year was Ranford.

Or are you talking about 1994, the team that had all the old Oilers, plus Leetch, Zubov, Larmer, Kovalev and Richter?

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
God Bless Canada said:
And those 1990 Oilers still had Kurri, Tikannen, Simpson, Anderson, Lowe, Smith, Huddy, Beukeboom, Ranford and the Kid Line. Mark Lamb had 17 points in 1990. No slight to Messier, but I think if you take Messier off that team in 1990, they still win. The only truly indispensible player that year was Ranford.

Or are you talking about 1994, the team that had all the old Oilers, plus Leetch, Zubov, Larmer, Kovalev and Richter?

In 1990 Ranford was the biggest reason the Oilers won the Stanley Cup as he won the Conn Smythe Trophy. The runner up for that award was not the Moose but in fact Craig Simpson

In 1994, they were a stacked team as well. They won the President's Trophy. Moose did get that hat-trick (one of which was an EN) in game six of the conference finals after guaranteeing that win, but would not give the same guarantee for game 7 (some leader). The player that scored the most clutch goals that playoff run was not Messier, it was Stephane Matteau. Richter stood on his head (especially against the Canucks in the finals), and once again it was not the Moose that won the Conn Smythe. It was Brian Leetch.

Messier is vastly overrated. He played in the high flyin' 80's as well but could only manage one 50 goal season (his second season). His leadership skills was the most overrated attribute that Mark supposedly possesses. Just look at his Canuck tenure and his second stint with the Rangers

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
albertGQ said:
In 1990 Ranford was the biggest reason the Oilers won the Stanley Cup as he won the Conn Smythe Trophy. The runner up for that award was not the Moose but in fact Craig Simpson

In 1994, they were a stacked team as well. They won the President's Trophy. Moose did get that hat-trick (one of which was an EN) in game six of the conference finals after guaranteeing that win, but would not give the same guarantee for game 7 (some leader). The player that scored the most clutch goals that playoff run was not Messier, it was Stephane Matteau. Richter stood on his head (especially against the Canucks in the finals), and once again it was not the Moose that won the Conn Smythe. It was Brian Leetch.

Messier is vastly overrated. He played in the high flyin' 80's as well but could only manage one 50 goal season (his second season). His leadership skills was the most overrated attribute that Mark supposedly possesses. Just look at his Canuck tenure and his second stint with the Rangers
I wouldn't call him "vastly overrated." Those who ranked him among the top five or 10 players of all-time overrate him. Those who rank him as better than Gretzky, or more important to the Oilers' success than Gretzky, over the course of their tenure in Edmonton, also overrate him.

As much as I dislike Messier, there's no denying his place as one of the top 10 centres and one of the top 25 players ever. In the last 30 years, nobody has combined goal scoring and physical play like Messier. He regularly elevated his play in the playoffs. He could carry a team on his back over long stretches of play. He is not the greatest leader in NHL history, but he often came through in the clutch, and usually left his best hockey for when it counted.

(BTW, do you have voting results for the 1990 Conn Smythe? As good as Messier was in that playoff, and as much as I love Simpson, I've always viewed Tikannen as 1A for Conn Smythe Trophy balloting that year. Scored over a point-per-game, while shutting down Hawerchuk, Gretzky, Savard and Janney. Pretty damn impressive in my books).

Randall Graves*

albertGQ said:
So you're saying Messier was a bigger reason for those first 4 Oiler Cups then
Wayne? I call BS on that one. Messier and his "leadership" qualities are vastly overrated
No, but Messier was the grit and toughness...and he wasn't a bad offensive player either.

But why couldn't Wayne, in his prime win without him?

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia

Because hockey's a team game. You don't win Stanley Cups with Kelly Hrudey in net. How many times has Mark Messier led an 88 point team to the finals single-handedly?

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
No, but Messier was the grit and toughness...and he wasn't a bad offensive player either.

Look where he was. That LA team was pretty miserable before and after Wayne. While he didn't win the Cup, he carried that team further than anybody thought possible. Wayne's Cup run in LA was one of the most impressive post-season showings I have ever seen.

I would say that the major reason why Wayne never won a Cup after leaving Edmonton was that he was never on a team that had a chance to win it. No matter how good a single player is, it still takes a team to win the Cup. Without good goaltending, a quality second scoring line and a solid blueline, you are not going to win a Cup. A HOF-caliber player can carry a team lacking those elements, but I can't think of a single instance where that team went the distance.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Roy on the 93 Habs would be the closest to that.

True, that.

The only times Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic or Messier ever won cups was when they were on veritable all-star teams (sans the '90 Oilers... but Messier wasn't even the MVP in that playoff). None of them ever took a team like the LA Kings to the finals. Wayne did OK.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
RallyKiller said:
remember...wayne never won a cup without Messier, but Messier won without him.

Gordie Howe never won a Cup without Red Kelly, but Kelly won without him.

Does that make Gordie Howe overrated?

Randall Graves*

reckoning said:
Gordie Howe never won a Cup without Red Kelly, but Kelly won without him.

Does that make Gordie Howe overrated?
I was just playing devils advocate, Wayne is widely regarded as the best of all time but he didn't win a cup on a team that wasn't loaded with talent.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Another amazing Gretzky stat and fact. Nobody will ever touch his playoff scoring numbers. In 208 games he scored 122 goals and 260 assists for 382 points. The player behind him is Messier, who had 295 points and 109 goals in 236 playoff games.

In the '85 playoffs, Gretz amassed 47 points in 18 games. In his final Stanley Cup series with the Oilers in '88, he holds the record for most points in a Stanley Cup Finals series with 13 points in 4 friggin' games.

Gretz led all players in scoring during the 92-93 playoffs with 15 goals and 40 points in 24 games. Not bad for a guy who missed a majority of that season with a career threatening back injury who looked like he was playing with a piano tied to his back.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
chooch said:
Youre amazed because you dont know hockey. Gretz sat behind the net with unprecedented protection not only from his teammates but the NHL commisioner too.
(when he was thinking of coming back to coach he called Bettman to get his thoughts!!! Who the hell does that?? - Bettman gets him to time the announcement the day the NHL announces Bertuzzi is reinstated. Ridiculous)

Whats so amazing about getting 3 assists from behind the net passes and ending up a minus 1 on the night? And scoring a goal long after the game result was determined?

You want to argue Orr was that kind of player? Orr fought, hit, was hit, showed respect to fellow players and teams and was the best ever along with Mario.

Fischler and Foxnews are right - its a big hype job about 99.

If Mario (back surgeries, cancer etc etc) was from Brantford....

Good, honest, gutsy post.
I'd get flamed for posting this truth!!.
Fact...1 out of (approx.) 90-100 friends I have/had from Toronto have all (except for one!) said that Mario Lemieux had time to rest and that's why he had 199 points once...
There's a difference between intentional resting (vacation, etc...), or resting because you have to, or were forced to (cancer, back surgeries).

And...

I'm not 100% sure about the BRANTFORD (Ontario) factor, but there were times when I've thought about it, especially when I've discussed it (Orr vs Gretzky; Mario vs Gretzky...) with people, friends, ex-friends from Toronto...
-------- -----------
To answer the thread's question...: I still place Gretzky in top 5. It'll be too dificult to argue with huge Gretzky fans(!) especially 'cause of the fact that he holds the record for most points, etc... But, of course when I mention that Lemieux had 199 points, it doesn't pay dividends to my friends from Ontario (especially Toronto), etc...

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Lowetide said:
I hesitate to post anything because it is a rare person who takes the time to listen to someone arguing against a raging river. However, I do have an opinion and since this thread comes up once in awhile and few ever get specific maybe it's time to write this again.

Wayne Gretzky was defensively indifferent, and that cost him (imo) on the list of the very best players to put on a uniform. You can lay the same blame on Guy Lafleur, or Yvan Cournoyer, or even Mike Bossy for much of his career but it takes nothing away from their monumental achievements with the puck.

99 was so completely superior with the puck that any argument that is the least bit critical seems absurd and has been shouted down so hard and long that no one ever really talks about it anymore. If one chooses to take bias out of the conversation, then it's fairly certain Wayne Gretzky falls a few notches short of Howe, Orr and Lemieux.

Gretzky's skills included superior on ice vision and an ability to slow the game down. His passes were golden, and ability to anticipate who would be open and when uncanny. I used to watch him from high above Northlands Coliseum and he'd lay a pass to an open space and you could see a Coffey or a Kurri coming in from oustide the play for a chance. Wayne Gretzky with the puck is/was as good as Bobby Orr, and that's saying something because Orr was the best hockey player I've ever seen.

But you can't have it both ways guys. One of the reasons Kurri was so valuable was that he did the hard work on that line back checking and getting the puck to 99. One of my vivid memories from the Oiler dynasty is Gretzky waiting at the Yellow Pages sign for the tape to tape from Kurri. You don't wait at the Yellow Pages sign without having a negative impact on the game, and when a European like Pavel Bure does it we're all quick to point out the play as being a poor one. Gretzky? I have read smart people claiming it was a "set play" and since the coach endorsed it this was best for the team. Fine. Indifferent.

If we're going to make a list of the all time best players in the game then imo we start with those who played all aspects of the game at a very high level.

If we were talking about the best baseball player ever, would we nick a player who spent a decade at DH? How about a guy who was so poor he even hurt you at first base? I think we would, and in the case of Wayne Gretzky we need to take into account the things he did not do without the puck.

He was not a big man, but plenty of men his size have been outstanding defensive players before and after him. Dave Keon was smaller than Gretzky and was an astounding penalty killer.

Gretzky is no doubt one of the all time best, and may indeed be one of the top 5 ever in the history of the game. He is the very best among the family of players who were offensively gifted and did not play a complete game.

He is, imo, not the best player in the game's rich history, but I do consider myself extremely fortunate to have seen him play.

Very intelligent comments. :clap:
Very good read. :clap:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
RallyKiller said:
I was just playing devils advocate, Wayne is widely regarded as the best of all time but he didn't win a cup on a team that wasn't loaded with talent.
And neither did Mario, Orr, Richard, Beliveau, Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Harvey, Messier or Howe. Hull, Bourque and Mikita only won one Cup. (It's a little hard to judge Shore and Morenz, the best of the pre-Original 6 era).

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
RallyKiller said:

As the last post by GBC said, that could be applied to anybody.

What about Mario Lemieux? In Mario`s first four years, Pittsburgh didn`t even make the playoffs. They won the Cup only after trading for Coffey, Barrasso and Francis and having Jagr, Stevens and Recchi join the club. Also in `94-`95 when Lemieux sat out the year, Pittsburgh had a higher regular season winning percentage and went further in the playoffs than they did the year before with Lemieux.

What about Bobby Orr? His first year with the Bruins, they finished dead last with less points than the year before. They didn`t start to improve until the following year after the Espo trade. Also, in Orr`s last full season with Boston, the Bruins had 94 points and lost in the 1st round of the playoffs; the following year with Orr hardly playing at all (10 regular season games, no playoff games) they had 113 points and made it to the semi-finals.

Does this prove that Lemieux and Orr were overrated? No, it just proves that it`s easy to make somebody look bad when you`re picking and choosing the facts that support your bias and ignore the ones that don`t.

Just like all the Gretzky-bashing in this thread.

chooch*

Mr. Hab said:
Good, honest, gutsy post.
I'd get flamed for posting this truth!!.
Fact...1 out of (approx.) 90-100 friends I have/had from Toronto have all (except for one!) said that Mario Lemieux had time to rest and that's why he had 199 points once...
There's a difference between intentional resting (vacation, etc...), or resting because you have to, or were forced to (cancer, back surgeries).

And...

I'm not 100% sure about the BRANTFORD (Ontario) factor, but there were times when I've thought about it, especially when I've discussed it (Orr vs Gretzky; Mario vs Gretzky...) with people, friends, ex-friends from Toronto...
-------- -----------
To answer the thread's question...: I still place Gretzky in top 5. It'll be too dificult to argue with huge Gretzky fans(!) especially 'cause of the fact that he holds the record for most points, etc... But, of course when I mention that Lemieux had 199 points, it doesn't pay dividends to my friends from Ontario (especially Toronto), etc...

Thank you. Its tough telling the truth.

My doubts started about 99 many many years ago. I don't consider him much above a Denis Savard except with IMG and the NHl on his side.

Good lord, he was a total minus [adding up +/- ] over the last 12 years of a 19 year career. Messier won the first Smythe; Sather openly states now that Wayne wanted to be on the ice in the last minute with an open net. Semenko, Fogolin, McSorley are names associated with 99.

He didnt support Gordie and the other oldtimers in the Pension fight. why?

Why didnt he say like Brett Hull/Chelios that the game sucked for almost 10 years?

As a player, Mario was so much better (along with Orr) it shouldnt even be a debate.

chooch*

Lowetide said:
I hesitate to post anything because it is a rare person who takes the time to listen to someone arguing against a raging river. However, I do have an opinion and since this thread comes up once in awhile and few ever get specific maybe it's time to write this again.

Wayne Gretzky was defensively indifferent, and that cost him (imo) on the list of the very best players to put on a uniform. You can lay the same blame on Guy Lafleur, or Yvan Cournoyer, or even Mike Bossy for much of his career but it takes nothing away from their monumental achievements with the puck.

99 was so completely superior with the puck that any argument that is the least bit critical seems absurd and has been shouted down so hard and long that no one ever really talks about it anymore. If one chooses to take bias out of the conversation, then it's fairly certain Wayne Gretzky falls a few notches short of Howe, Orr and Lemieux.

Gretzky's skills included superior on ice vision and an ability to slow the game down. His passes were golden, and ability to anticipate who would be open and when uncanny. I used to watch him from high above Northlands Coliseum and he'd lay a pass to an open space and you could see a Coffey or a Kurri coming in from oustide the play for a chance. Wayne Gretzky with the puck is/was as good as Bobby Orr, and that's saying something because Orr was the best hockey player I've ever seen.

But you can't have it both ways guys. One of the reasons Kurri was so valuable was that he did the hard work on that line back checking and getting the puck to 99. One of my vivid memories from the Oiler dynasty is Gretzky waiting at the Yellow Pages sign for the tape to tape from Kurri. You don't wait at the Yellow Pages sign without having a negative impact on the game, and when a European like Pavel Bure does it we're all quick to point out the play as being a poor one. Gretzky? I have read smart people claiming it was a "set play" and since the coach endorsed it this was best for the team. Fine. Indifferent.

If we're going to make a list of the all time best players in the game then imo we start with those who played all aspects of the game at a very high level.

If we were talking about the best baseball player ever, would we nick a player who spent a decade at DH? How about a guy who was so poor he even hurt you at first base? I think we would, and in the case of Wayne Gretzky we need to take into account the things he did not do without the puck.

He was not a big man, but plenty of men his size have been outstanding defensive players before and after him. Dave Keon was smaller than Gretzky and was an astounding penalty killer.

Gretzky is no doubt one of the all time best, and may indeed be one of the top 5 ever in the history of the game. He is the very best among the family of players who were offensively gifted and did not play a complete game.

He is, imo, not the best player in the game's rich history, but I do consider myself extremely fortunate to have seen him play.

Thats a great post and not to quibble but Bowman would have "Larouched" Lafleur if he was indifferent defensively. Guy was a fine 2 way player.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
Good lord, he was a total minus [adding up +/- ] over the last 12 years of a 19 year career.

Still with this? First of all he played 20 years. Secondly he was a +6 over the last 12 years of his career. BTW, why do you ignore the first 8 years of his career when he was a combined +512? Some of his years:

`81-`82: +81
`82-`83: +60
`83-`84: +76
`84-`85: +98
`85-`86: +71
`86-`87: +70

Your boy Mario has never approached those marks. Some of Lemieux`s +/-`s:

`84-`85 100 pts -35
`85-`86 141 pts -6
`89-`90 123 pts -18
`95-`96 161 pts +10

How bad was Mary-o defensively if he scored all those points yet still had those crappy +/-`s?

He didnt support Gordie and the other oldtimers in the Pension fight. why?
You bring this up constantly, so it shouldn`t be any problem for you to present some proof that Gretzky was opposed to the oldtimers, or better yet, please tell us what Mary-o did to support them?

Why didnt he say like Brett Hull/Chelios that the game sucked for almost 10 years?
Why didn`t Lemieux publically comment on what really happened in the hotel room with Dan Quinn in `92?

Semenko, Fogolin, McSorley are names associated with 99.

The names I associate with 66 are Caufield, Samuelsson and Tibbetts.

Let`s talk about Billy Tibbetts for awhile. When Lemieux came out of retirement in 2001, he had Tibbetts brought up from the minors to the Penguins. Now Tibbetts rap sheet included assaulting a police officer, armed assault and forcible **** of a 14 year-old. Out of all the players Lemieux could`ve brought in, that was the guy he wanted. Why?

Last edited:

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
chooch said:
Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot? you;re more right wing than anyone.

No, but I would consider anyone who reports opinion as fact an idiot. Fox News is also regarded as the laughing stock of news coverage and is basically akin to the five year old kid that runs around showing his penis to everyone simply because of the response it gets.

And anyone who knows me would tell you that I'm far from being right wing.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
reckoning said:
Still with this? First of all he played 20 years. Secondly he was a +6 over the last 12 years of his career. BTW, why do you ignore the first 8 years of his career when he was a combined +512? Some of his years:

`84-`85 100 pts -35
`85-`86 141 pts -6
`89-`90 123 pts -18
`95-`96 161 pts +10

How bad was Mary-o defensively if he scored all those points yet still had those crappy +/-`s?

You bring this up constantly, so it shouldn`t be any problem for you to present some proof that Gretzky was opposed to the oldtimers, or better yet, please tell us what Mary-o did to support them?

Why didn`t Lemieux publically comment on what really happened in the hotel room with Dan Quinn in `92?

Let`s talk about Billy Tibbetts for awhile. When Lemieux came out of retirement in 2001, he had Tibbetts brought up from the minors to the Penguins. Now Tibbetts rap sheet included assaulting a police officer, armed assault and forcible **** of a 14 year-old. Out of all the players Lemieux could`ve brought in, that was the guy he wanted. Why?

Not really worth responding to someone who writes, "Mary-o" instead of Mario.
It would be like responding to a 12 year-old. (And, I'm not saying that I'm the most mature person on earth, either!! but, typing "Mary-o" is simply childish).

Another childish Gretzky fan with way too much "angry" pride...?

P.S.: this topic (no matter what!) will never ever end, so...Happy New Year!!

Last edited:

chooch*

reckoning said:

`84-`85 100 pts -35
`85-`86 141 pts -6
`89-`90 123 pts -18
`95-`96 161 pts +10

1) he was a total minus over the last 12 years of his career. The reason its brought up a lot on these boards is that it tells you a lot about the first 7 or eight years. Its about style of play if you want me to be direct - since you bring up Mario, its one thing to be a minsu because you have a hip needing surgery and one one leg like in the Olympics or with 3 serious back surgeries that render you unable to tie your skates before games.

Its another thing to stand behind the net or off to the side because youre unwilling to pay the price to win.

I say he was protected by the NHl and IMG and you bring up Billy Tibbets rap sheet (what about McSorley's rap sheet and 99's love affair with him? And do you really think NHL Referee Auger was lying when he said Doan called him a slur.) These points (including your quip about Quinn are irelevant) - there's nota person whos watched hockey who woudl agree with you that Mario was protected on the ice and wayne wasnt. Or that it was equal....

Here's a quote after 10 seconds of research on the Gordie pensions thing:
Net Worth also claims that Wayne Gretzky ('The Great One') is partly to blame for low salaries and lousy pensions. "Gretzky has been well aware of pension issues and the failings of the NHLPA since 1985," say the authors, "yet he's chosen to avoid the controversy. Gretzky's image may be untarnished for the fans and corporations, but a lot of players won't forget his reluctance to get involved when he could have made a difference single-handedly."

Finally do you notice any difference in content at all between Waynegretzky.com and Mariolemieux.org??

Any way Happy New Year, I;m not criticizing 99 - hes a classy guy and was a superstar; its just the way its been hyped and sold like we're idiots.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Speculation as to what Wayne did or didn't know and permit to happen is no more valid than what Mario Lemieux watched or didn't watch in a hotel room with Dan Quinn and friends. It's absolute horse ****.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Mr. Hab said:
Not really worth responding to someone who writes, "Mary-o" instead of Mario.
It would be like responding to a 12 year-old. (And, I'm not saying that I'm the most mature person on earth, either!! but, typing "Mary-o" is simply childish).

Another childish Gretzky fan with way too much "angry" pride...?

It may have childish, but no worse than somebody constantly referring to Gretzky as "Toe" or using moronic opinions and outright lies to support their case. I`m perfectly willing to debate the facts as long as people can stick to the facts. For example, if you`re going to say that Gretzky`s 200+ point seasons were meaningless because they occurred in the 80s, don`t go and talk about how great Lemieux`s 199 pt season was because it was in the 80s too. Or say Gretzky was no good because he didn`t fight; exactly how many times has Lemieux dropped the gloves?

chooch said:
Any way Happy New Year,

Happy New Year to you as well Chooch, this place wouldn`t be the same without you. I actually enjoy your posts on the rare occasions when you discuss something other than Gretzky-bashing. I even thought your anti-Gretzky posts were a little amusing at first, but you need some new material.
Btw, I`m not a Gretzky fan, but I don`t hate him either.

chooch said:
1) he was a total minus over the last 12 years of his career. The reason its brought up a lot on these boards is that it tells you a lot about the first 7 or eight years. Its about style of play if you want me to be direct - since you bring up Mario, its one thing to be a minsu because you have a hip needing surgery and one one leg like in the Olympics or with 3 serious back surgeries that render you unable to tie your skates before games.

For the one-millionth time, your statement about him being a minus in his last 12 years is a lie, but you`ve been saying it for over a year here so why stop now. What does his first 8 years tell you about his style of play? If it were true that he was on the ice for 4 goals against every game that he had 3 points, he wouldn`t have led the league in +/- for four years. What he contributed offensively far outweighed any defensive shortcomings he may have had.
Also if you would`ve looked at the Lemieux years I quoted, most of them were before his injury troubles, which makes your excuse completely irrelevant. Anyways, that excuse gets tiresome. Wayne Cashman played the majority of his career with horrible back pains; he had to have someone tie his skates as well, but his +/- marks were never as bad as Lemieux`s.

I say he was protected by the NHl and IMG and you bring up Billy Tibbets rap sheet (what about McSorley's rap sheet and 99's love affair with him?
I think raping a 14 year-old is far worse than an on-ice stick infraction.

there's nota person whos watched hockey who woudl agree with you that Mario was protected on the ice and wayne wasnt. Or that it was equal....
Could you please explain what Jay Caufield was doing on Pittsburgh then (he wasn`t a hockey player), or all the whining and crying after the Shaw hit. Btw, when Gretzky was always leading the Canada Cup in scoring, who was his bodyguard then? I don`t recall Semenko or McSorley on those teams.

Here's a quote after 10 seconds of research on the Gordie pensions thing:
Net Worth also claims that Wayne Gretzky ('The Great One') is partly to blame for low salaries and lousy pensions. "Gretzky has been well aware of pension issues and the failings of the NHLPA since 1985," say the authors, "yet he's chosen to avoid the controversy. Gretzky's image may be untarnished for the fans and corporations, but a lot of players won't forget his reluctance to get involved when he could have made a difference single-handedly."

To blame for low salaries? That`s about as ridiculous as the way some blamed Gordie Howe for low salaries in the 50s, or how Ray Bourque got blamed for some Bruin players being underpaid. As for the pensions, it just says he stayed out of it; you`re always implying that he fought against the old-timers. You still didn`t tell us what Lemieux did to support the players. Since in your opinion he was a better player than Gretzky, he could made a difference single-handedly.
Net Worth is an important book, but don`t take everything in it as the Gospel. They tell some story later in the book about Bob Pulford and Punch Imlach which the Tim Horton biography a few years later said likely never happened.

Finally do you notice any difference in content at all between Waynegretzky.com and Mariolemieux.org??
Not really, they both mention charity work they`ve done and have a section about their career accomplishments.

chooch*

reckoning said:
Happy New Year to you as well Chooch, this place wouldn`t be the same without you. I actually enjoy your posts on the rare occasions when you discuss something other than Gretzky-bashing. I even thought your anti-Gretzky posts were a little amusing at first, but you need some new material.
Btw, I`m not a Gretzky fan, but I don`t hate him either.
My new years resolution is to ignore Bucky and think Orr. ;)

ps.I never considered comments on 99 to be "bashing" just a viewpoint different from the prevailing one. Wait till Cherry retires and qualifies for this forum - then you'll see bashing...

Cheers.

btw - one last thing - Gordie didnt speak to 99 again over the pensions thing. I;ll take Gordie's side.

as for their websites, my gosh, one is all cheesy plugs for videogames and fantasy camps with a few charities cynically thrown in for good measure and the other site is all charity from the heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad