Is Gretzky meant to be seen and not to be heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think Gretzky is great when he's talking about the HISTORY of the game, and the passion he has for hockey and for the league. He recently did a little interview with Wyshynski and I thought when he was talking about what hockey meant to him growing up, its history all of that, it was fantastic to listen to. When he starts talking about himself with his insane (and no doubt sincere, but still kind of ridiculous) modesty or when he starts talking about CURRENT players, he just doesn't have the personality to talk about it too critically.

I think if he's back in the fold as an ambassador for the NHL he could be great if he sticks to history and passion for the game, and I think that's most likely what he's around for. I don't think he's back to do critical analysis or talk about players like Matthews or McDavid in anything more than praise for new talented young guys in the league, which I think is fine.

Gretzky is awesome. The best player I ever saw play. The fact he will never say anything negative about hockey or current players is kinda also awesome.

Is he the greatest analyst of players? Maybe he is or maybe he isn't. But he rips no one and celebrates everyone. Guy is all class. I am sure his tributes to players are felt deeply by those players. He is still Gretzky.

Gretzky is Gretzky. Guy is amazing. Period.

He is far from stupid about hockey.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Michael Jordan brags he is better then Lebron or anyone else ever.

Gretzky doesn't even need to do that. He praises everyone.

What would you rather have? The greatest player ever saying he is better then anyone today, or the greatest player ever praising all and saying how awesome the game is today?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Michael Jordan brags he is better then Lebron or anyone else ever.

Gretzky doesn't even need to do that. He praises everyone.

What would you rather have? The greatest player ever saying he is better then anyone today, or the greatest player ever praising all and saying how awesome the game is today?

Gretzky has so many untouchable records, that speaks for itself.

Jordan doesn't have all those untouchable records vs the rest, thus the result in his being more vocal. I'm sure if he had more assists than anyone else had points he'd be less vocal about being the greatest, because he wouldn't HAVE to be.

Not saying that is the only reason The Great One comes across as so humble etc, just pointing that Jordan's greatest situation is actually in debatable range, when The Great One, it's not much of a debate.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
If you were constantly asked questions by the media and fans, you'd probably say some stupid sounding things as well. This goes for anyone.

This. What is he going to say when they keep asking him "what do you think of player x..". When it is a guy like Yakupov he is nice and says "he is one of the most dynamic players in the league", and when it is a guy like McDavid it is the usual "he can break all my records".

But yeah, what is he going to say? "Yakupov is fast on his skate but lazy and sloppy and I'm glad we got rid of him"..or "McDavid is a really good player but he'll never ever be anywhere close to how good I was"..

He's just a overlypolite and humble canadian.

delled

Oct 3, 2009
I retract everything I said about the Great One. This morning Gretzky was quoted as saying "If I was OP on that HF Boards thread by delled, I would have been twice as harsh about my comments." Classy, classy classy.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He means NOW, he means if he skated out there as a linemate today he would get 60 goals. As a 50 whatever year old. He wasn't saying "In my prime I could get 60 goals with this guy". JFC.

Basically he's saying HE would be the Dave Semenko in this scenario.

I agree with you. Gretzky means now. He was a very efficient skater and knew where the puck was going to be in 5 or 10 seconds. That was how he piled up all of those assists and goals during his career. He would be back in his "office".

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Um, he is the greatest player to ever play the game...he can say whatever the **** he wants and you will like it.

Um, no. Appealing to an authority is a fallacy no matter what, but there are varying degrees of bad when appealing to authority. When using Gretzky praise of a player to support that player it is on the worst side of appealing to authority.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't care that he's modest, humble...those are good qualities. I like the guy for that. You can't change your stripes - some people are hard-wired to be humble, and others are built to constantly self-promote themselves. 99% of the time, that doesn't affect on-ice performance, so you get great players in both camps.

Unfortunately, humility isn't a particularly media-friendly quality, especially when combined with sports. I haven't watched many Gretzky interviews, but I watched him on Colbert this week, and....wow. I love hockey, but even I was bored. And, again, that's who he is - some players are entertainers, and some just want to do their job and go home.

The problem is, everyone knows Gretzky. He hosted an episode of SNL. And when he's the face of your sport, it makes it a little difficult to grow your sport.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Like this guy
large.jpg

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I retract everything I said about the Great One. This morning Gretzky was quoted as saying "If I was OP on that HF Boards thread by delled, I would have been twice as harsh about my comments." Classy, classy classy.

closed , we are done here .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad