Is Gorton done doing amazing things for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
With Trouba attained, do we see Gorton pulling more rabbits out of the hat before the draft or are we done now?

Kinda need to know if i should stop refreshing twitter and HF every 2 minutes and instead enjoy the summer (well for a few days before the draft).

What i guess we still have on the block is,

Shattenkirk (@50, if he waives NMC)
Vesey (a 2nd or 3rd pick)
Namestnikov (possible 2nd pick or a late 1st if paired with a 2nd)
Smith (for future considerations, dont see anyone picking him up though as he as already cleared waivers before)
Staal (wont happend unless he gets to go somewhere nice and if we take another dumb contract)

Also, possible trading Georgiev to become a starter somewhere, but id rather not trade him.

If Panarin chooses Florida, i could see Georgiev + Namestnikov + Shattenkirk (retained) for Nylander to solve Torontos cap issues along with giving them a good contention in goal and a PP QB RHD and a dept winger to replace Nylander.

Would we have cap to resign Trouba and pay Nylander?

Thoughts?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Kreider and Vesey to Buffalo for the 7th. Get it done ;)

gorton.jpg

Reactions: Inferno

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
There is not a chance Buffalo take that sadly

What are you basing that on? The fact that the Sabres have sucked for years despite the absurd amount of high draft picks they have had. I would think the entire fan base in Buffalo is sick and tired of their team sucking and isn't in the mood to wait for the 7th overall pick to mature in 4 years. If Kreider would agree to an extension, IMO Buffalo would do that deal tomorrow.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
What are you basing that on? The fact that the Sabres have sucked for years despite the absurd amount of high draft picks they have had. I would think the entire fan base in Buffalo is sick and tired of their team sucking and isn't in the mood to wait for the 7th overall pick to mature in 4 years. If Kreider would agree to an extension, IMO Buffalo would do that deal tomorrow.

The 7th overall pick will likely be a comfortably better player than Krieder and Vesey ever will, the value is not even at all, but you make a good point. Hopefully we can make it happen but it seems unrealistic to me

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is exactly what I have been talking about in the Panarin debate. One significant factor is that teams looking to deal players will have very few suitors, teams with flexibility and assets will be able to make good moves.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I could see Buffalo or Edmonton moving their first rounders for forward help--particularly Buffalo--Botterill's ass is on the line. They have Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, Ristolainen--giving Skinner the contract they gave him--that's not exactly what a rebuilding team does and adding a couple good pieces should put them in the playoff picture. So that's a team to target--the problem may be if the Rangers have particular players in mind whether they'll still be available. I think the Rangers will want a center and Zegras and Cozens I think would be their guys moreso than Dach or Turcotte. Newhook might be another but he might still be available in the 10-12 range.

My hunch is the Rangers are going to try to get into the top ten--it might not go down until draft night though. I suspect they've been talking to Chicago, Colorado, LA, Detroit, Buffalo, Edmonton, Anaheim and Vancouver and probably Philadelphia, Florida, Minnesota and Arizona too. Just getting an idea of who's open and what they'd want.

Rumors are Buffalo's been talking to us about Vesey already.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the magic is just starting...just wait till they fix hartford and our system starts producing players

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I agree, that we need to beef up Hartford. It's my feeling that the AHL affiliates that win the Calder Cup help their NHL team with the Stanley Cup.

Watch out for Carolina.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Kaapo Kakko was a game changer, and not just on the ice. Winning the lotto and moving up to 2nd likely changed the entire direction of the off-season for the Rangers. Had we'd stay at 6th or dropped to 8th, we'd likely be playing the 'wait and see a few years for what Krebs becomes' game.

Having Kakko on his 3-year ELC means we should be looking to make a playoff run in year two, and a cup run in year three. Years one and two is when you build around them. You move up the timeline to take advantage of the cap situation. You need multiple elite talents to be a cup contender, and having one of them making under a million dollars is something you *must* take advantage of.

Trouba is the signal this is the direction the Rangers are taking.

stopping at *just* Trouba would be a mistake. No Half Measures.

Does this mean Panarin? Does this mean moving Kreider/Buch/Vesey/Names? IMO, these are all options that are on the table now that might not have been just a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Lays
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad