Is Gilbert Brule a power forward ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
rt said:
So you'll be disappointed if Gilbert isn't a 10 time all-star with nearly 500 goals, nearly 1200 points, and nearly 1500 PIMs before the end of his career?

Wow.

Roenick in the early 90's was awesome, but wasn't quite a top 10 player. Brule's potential is more than Roenick.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
it's hard to label any prospect a powerforward. few powerforwards in junior are able to remain that way when they go pro. for starters they still have a frame to fill, and sometimes although they are big in junior they don't fill in quite as expected. for another, it's a lot harder to establish an intimidation factor against big grown men than it is against the kids they are playing against. sometimes when they bulk up they lose their mobility or other aspects of their game and have to convert to being enforcers or grinders.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
monster_bertuzzi said:
Maximum? His maximum is a top 5 material player like a Yzerman or a Sakic. Roenick is more likely what he will become, and a Morrow type player is the minimum.

I think the expectations you're putting on him are ridiculous. Any prospects minimum is to not make the NHL at all.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
It's pretty hard to be a 5'11 powerforward...

???

Martin Lapointe, Brendan Morrow, Dustin Brown, Adam Deadmarsh.........

These guys are all 5'11"-6'0"............. The weight/height ratio is one thing to look at after the playing style when it comes to a question like that.

Craig Rivet: 195lbs/6'2"
Francis Bouillon: 190 lbs/5'9"

Which one of them as the more painfull hits: Bouillon, simply cause his mass is more compact.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
I would call him a power foward but the guy does play with an edge, if that is any different...Morrow and Zednik(5-10 176lbs rookie year) are good examples

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Maximum? His maximum is a top 5 material player like a Yzerman or a Sakic. Roenick is more likely what he will become, and a Morrow type player is the minimum.

:lol:

No offense but your post is downright ridiculous. Morrow minimum? Yeah right, let's give him a couple of years more before even trying to estimate his potential & minimum.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Kafka said:
???

Martin Lapointe, Brendan Morrow, Dustin Brown, Adam Deadmarsh.........

These guys are all 5'11"-6'0"............. The weight/height ratio is one thing to look at after the playing style when it comes to a question like that.

Craig Rivet: 195lbs/6'2"
Francis Bouillon: 190 lbs/5'9"

Which one of them as the more painfull hits: Bouillon, simply cause his mass is more compact.

Lapointe isn't a powerforward, he's above-average talented 3rd liner with some scoring touch. Dustin Brown is pretty far from being a powerforward and both Morrow and Deadmarsh are borderline because of their offensive production (or lack of it more specifically).

Like one poster said, we need to define a powerforward first and it's not easy as proved by hordes of Sens fans who claimed that Marian Hossa is a powerforward. :lol

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Have you ever seen these prospects play?

Uhhh, which prospects??

No, I haven't seen Brule play but I can still say that anyone claiming at this point that Morrow-type is his absolute minimum doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Chances are that he won't ever play a NHL game, he could follow the footsteps of Falloon & Daigle and become a colossal bust. Those two were much more hyped than Brule and yet they never became anything.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Pepper said:
Uhhh, which prospects??

No, I haven't seen Brule play but I can still say that anyone claiming at this point that Morrow-type is his absolute minimum doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Chances are that he won't ever play a NHL game, he could follow the footsteps of Falloon & Daigle and become a colossal bust. Those two were much more hyped than Brule and yet they never became anything.
ANY prospects downside is bust. Why not list a reasonable downside?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
jtuzzi21 said:
ANY prospects downside is bust. Why not list a reasonable downside?

Because Morrow-type is not even his 'reasonable downside' at this point, he has to show a lot more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->