Speculation: Is Georgiev LA bound now?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You’re citing an exception here...

But a 15 month difference in age changes the Kings’ fortunes when it comes to rebuilding? I think we have a case of Rangers fans with their foot in their mouths when ignoring or simply being completely unaware of the merits of Cal Petersen.

Reactions: go4hockey

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This thread is weird as a Leafs fan. We were the target of Ranger's fans as a Georgiev trading partner (rightfully so, we needed a backup)...now that we've acquired Campbell, the Kapanen+ demands have obviously stopped.

The weird part is that LA traded a backup with term to Toronto...why are they now the trade target for Geo? They didn't need to move Campbell...he still had term and he's fine as a backup. They moved him to make room for Petersen...they wouldn't trade their backup with term just to start looking to deal assets for another goalie.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
This thread is weird as a Leafs fan. We were the target of Ranger's fans as a Georgiev trading partner (rightfully so, we needed a backup)...now tha
t we've acquired Campbell, the Kapanen+ demands have obviously stopped.
The weird part is that LA traded a backup with term to Toronto...why are they now the trade target for Geo? They didn't need to move
Campbell...he still had term and he's fine as a backup. They moved him to make room for Petersen...they
wouldn't trade their backup with term just to start looking to deal assets for another goalie.

Don't post this. It makes to much sense.

Reactions: YP44

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
This thread is weird as a Leafs fan. We were the target of Ranger's fans as a Georgiev trading partner (rightfully so, we needed a backup)...now that we've acquired Campbell, the Kapanen+ demands have obviously stopped.

The weird part is that LA traded a backup with term to Toronto...why are they now the trade target for Geo? They didn't need to move Campbell...he still had term and he's fine as a backup. They moved him to make room for Petersen...they wouldn't trade their backup with term just to start looking to deal assets for another goalie.
one of the first things that I learned here was that fans making proposals rarely if ever take the needs of the other team in to account

Reactions: King'sPawn

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
one of the first things that I learned here was that fans making proposals rarely if ever take the needs of the other team in to account
Oh i agree...but it just struck me as strange that LA would become the target...

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Can we just stop for f*** sakes?????

So the Kings trade away a goalie just to trade for a new one ???? What the hell is wrong with you people.
Blake wouldn't have traded away a goalie if he wouldn't feel we have a replacement.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This thread got real emotion real quick. Good or bad, Quick isn't going anywhere for age/contract reasons, and good or bad, Petersen will get his chance. He is 25, and has barely played in the NHL, and because of those reasons, I'm not sold on him being the goalie of the future(he'll be a UFA in 2 years), but it does not matter. He's going to get the chance to fail. They have 4 goalies under contract. They have a couple other guys they've drafted in recent years, who may or may not ever do anything. They're not giving the Rangers an asset for an unnecessary goalie though, who on top of everything else, is an RFA this summer.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Igor's pedigree? a 4th round pick from the 2014 draft JUST making the NHL now?! Really...

Campbell was a 1st round pick, 9th overall...

Georgiev - with 67 games played, a 3.02 GAA and a .913 SV %

Campbell has 58 games played, a 2.58 GAA and a .916 SV%

Stay woke
Campbell debuted in 2013

Georgiev debuted 2017.

that’s a four year head start. I don’t think Campbell has ever played as many games in a season as Georgiev did last year. So yeah it’s a little different.
Igor was widely recognized as best in KHL and best goalie prospect. Who else matches that?

the Leafs got Campbell because they didn’t want to pay a higher price tag, not because they wanted a better player. Which is fine but Let’s call it what it is.

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
We'll test Petersen out before we determine if we need to explore goaltending - he did extremely well when he was called up

There's no rush as we will definitely suck next season as well

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This thread got real emotion real quick. Good or bad, Quick isn't going anywhere for age/contract reasons, and good or bad, Petersen will get his chance. He is 25, and has barely played in the NHL, and because of those reasons, I'm not sold on him being the goalie of the future(he'll be a UFA in 2 years), but it does not matter. He's going to get the chance to fail. They have 4 goalies under contract. They have a couple other guys they've drafted in recent years, who may or may not ever do anything. They're not giving the Rangers an asset for an unnecessary goalie though, who on top of everything else, is an RFA this summer.

well said

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
As a third party who’s seen a few games in Ontario, I have to say that it would be foolish not to at least give Petersen a chance. I’ve seen him steal a few games for the Reign and while consistency is a concern(like all young goalies) he looks like he might be the real deal. It’s not like the Kings season isn’t a loss anyway.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I feel bad if King fans really think this guy is your future in goal. 25 year old with barely a lick of NHL experience and putting up very average numbers in the minors. But yea, keep that dream alive.

We aren't in the market for a goalie. Campbell was traded, with 2 full season left on his contract, to deliberately free up a roster spot for Petersen. This has been the plan for a while now.

The Ontario Reign are a very young team, the organization has let a lot of the veteran minor leaguers leave in order to open up spots for the large amount of under-22 prospects they have stockpiled the last couple seasons. The 6 defensemen in front of Petersen this year have largely been:

Ladue, 27
Strand, 22
Durzi, 21
Clague, 21
Anderson, 20
Bjornfot, 18

For this reason, we care little about his minor league statline and more about the organization's analysis of the player.

We have zero interest in expending assets to bring in a different prospect at this point in our rebuild. If we were going to look for a goaltender, it would be one who is 2-3 years away from breaking into the NHL so that when Quick's contract is up they can back-up and eventually take over for Petersen. That's where our organization stands.

Lastly, your "I feel sorry" and "hope you have better" type of unsolicited, condescending comments don't add any merit or credence to your posts or opinion. They just serve to antagonize people and expose a lack of understanding of the organization's direction and plan. Its completely forgivable to not know all 31 teams' long term strategy, but you've been presented, numerous times, with information regarding this team and chosen just to assume the posters were wrong.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Surely LA now needs a solid goalie for the future ?

Quick is 34 and hasn’t played too good recently, his contract is until 2023, but I don’t think the Kings are planning to ride him as a starter for next 3 seasons ?

Georgiev might just. be the guy to become their new answer in goal ?
We've our goalie of the future Cal Petersen.

Reactions: go4hockey

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Can we just stop for **** sakes?????

So the Kings trade away a goalie just to trade for a new one ???? What the hell is wrong with you people.
Blake wouldn't have traded away a goalie if he wouldn't feel we have a replacement.
Campbell is a backup, Georgiev is a starter. That’s the difference.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
As a third party who’s seen a few games in Ontario, I have to say that it would be foolish not to at least give Petersen a chance. I’ve seen him steal a few games for the Reign and while consistency is a concern(like all young goalies) he looks like he might be the real deal. It’s not like the Kings season isn’t a loss anyway.

I agree with this, and also like many AHL goalies the play in front of them has been inconsistent as well.

I look forward to him being back in LA, but I am aware this could also go the way of Lobarbara. I was huge on him when he was the best AHL goalie the year of the lock out.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
We've our goalie of the future Cal Petersen.

Exactly. I have no idea why people are questioning this.
Is it because he hasn't started many games in the NHL yet? He got 11 games last year and played very well.

For comparison's sake:

Corey Crawford played 8 NHL games between the ages of 21 and 25 before being given the starting job at age 26.
It's not unusual for goalies to spend their early 20's in college/AHL before making the jump to the NHL.

Ryan Miller was 26 when he became the starter for Buffalo.
Pekka Rinne was 26.
Craig Anderson was 28.
Mike Smith was 26.
Ben Bishop was 27.

etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad