Is Fleury's save responsible for Babcock's dismissal?

Is the Fleury save responsible for Babcock getting fired?

• Yes, if the Leafs win that game he's safe for the moment

• No, he was getting fired after that game no matter what

Results are only viewable after voting.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Is the Fleury save responsible for Babcock getting fired? If the Leafs win that game is he safe?

Trotz was very close to getting fired at one point on the Caps but because he won the game, they didn't pull the switch.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Well he wouldn't have been fired if they'd won. But the only way he'd stay safe from being fired is if they went on a roll afterwards and made up lost ground.

Interesting to think what would have happened if Toronto had started playing mediocre, just well enough to keep Babcock's job, but not well enough to climb the standings. I don't think the team was ever going to succeed this season with Babcock as the coach, but with a change in coaching they could. If Toronto can get going now, it's possible that Fleury save could save Toronto's season in some ironic way.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Yes, but only till the next time they lose. A coach is usually either fired at the end of the season or after a loss. Firing a coach after a win doesn't happen that often.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Then why not just pull the trigger then?

I don't know, I am not a fly on the wall. Speculation is that it's because the Leafs are on a big road trip and were hoping they would rebound enough that he would last until they came back to TO. It's a tough spot to ask a rookie coach to step in on the road, in a big losing streak, with no practice time and a tired team from travel.

But it's clear this was not a one moment firing, and was even stated in the presser Dubas and Shanny gave. They sited the frustration and lack of belief in the room as the reason.

What they did to KK last Sat is much worse than a career AHL tweener getting robbed by Fleury

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
He was never on the hotseat until that save. (facepalm)

Really, he was out, maybe not yesterday, but soon.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Most ridiculous poll of all time. NHL GMs aren't as reactionary and myopic as OP. One play/one game are never the "reason", there's a difference between underlying and precipitating causes.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Most ridiculous poll of all time. NHL GMs aren't as reactionary and myopic as OP. One play/one game are never the "reason", there's a difference between underlying and precipitating causes.

See Barry Trotz. There were games that if he didn't win he was being fired but magically survived because Caps had come from behind victory

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure it was reported that after the loss on Saturday to Pittsburgh his fate was all but sealed.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure it was reported that after the loss on Saturday to Pittsburgh his fate was all but sealed.

So if Leafs beat Vegas 7-0 and Matthews has a 6 point game, after the game Leafs fire Babcock? Seems absurd. It's game by game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad