Is Fleury Vezina level Goalie?

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Yes of course, even Hasek had brain farts. MAF just has them when the world is watching bringing his mental fortitude into question. But the kid can play.

Reactions: User9992

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
There was another thread on the board discussing the best goaltender of the last 10 seasons, and MAF was ranked at the top or near the top wins wise but his save % was a putrid 19th in that timeframe.

He's been a good goalie but seems fortunate to have played for some great teams in his career.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I’ve said this for years. He has a career built around being in the right places at the right time.

He single handedly cost excellent Pens teams between 2010-2015 chances at deeper playoff runs with his total choke goaltending. Most of those years he is below .900 save % and has to be pulled out of games basically every year. They only win in 2015 & 2016 because after Fleury's usual failure they throw in a call up rookie to replace him who delivers them finally some legit goaltending they have desperately needed for half a decade. I'm not even a Pens fan and it makes me angry to see people praising him, I can only imagine the eye rolling that happens in Pittsburgh when Fleury the big letdown to hall of fame talk starts.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
There was another thread on the board discussing the best goaltender of the last 10 seasons, and MAF was ranked at the top or near the top wins wise but his save % was a putrid 19th in that timeframe.

He's been a good goalie but seems fortunate to have played for some great teams in his career.

That's half the battle to be considered one of the all time great goalies. Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden, etc. Dominik Hasek is incredible because for much of his career he played for very mediocre Sabres squads and really elevated their results, but even he had some really good teams in front of him for at least 1/3 of his career, if not more. I hesitate to say Fleury is at their level, but he has seemed to get better with age and his story isn't quite written, yet. Anyway, any goalie that plays for great teams most of their career ends up looking great, that's my main point here.

Reactions: User9992

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
no, obviously not, and never has been. Him and Grubauer benefited from playing in an offensively weak division on stacked teams. Facing teams that couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistfull of $100s (Anaheim, Arizona, San Jose, LA) inflated their stats. Neither are elite goalies.

Reactions: Fataldogg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's half the battle to be considered one of the all time great goalies. Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden, etc. Dominik Hasek is incredible because for much of his career he played for very mediocre Sabres squads and really elevated their results, but even he had some really good teams in front of him for at least 1/3 of his career, if not more. I hesitate to say Fleury is at their level, but he has seemed to get better with age and his story isn't quite written, yet. Anyway, any goalie that plays for great teams most of their career ends up looking great, that's my main point here.
I think "hesitate" is putting it kindly. Fleury is most definitely not at the level of Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Dryden. He's not even in that conversation.

He's a good goalie who started at a surprisingly young age for goaltenders, but he's never been elite for a significant stretch of time. His time in Vegas has been a really good second act for him, though he's always battled consistency issues and has a relatively long history of letting in brutal goals when it matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->