Is Evgeny Malkin a generational talent?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The term is getting watered down. Franchise player, IMO, is a guy who's going to be the best on your franchise. Generational talent means a guy who's the best in the NHL. Not just "one of the best." It's a term we can use to separate the Gretzkies, Lemieuxs, Orrs, Howes, and even Crosbies from the rest.

Once in a generation.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Term is meaningless. There is a "generational talent" every few years. Malkin, Crosby, and Ovechkin all get drafted within a year and apparently their level of talent comes along once in a generation.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The term is getting watered down. Franchise player, IMO, is a guy who's going to be the best on your franchise. Generational talent means a guy who's the best in the NHL. Not just "one of the best." It's a term we can use to separate the Gretzkies, Lemieuxs, Orrs, Howes, and even Crosbies from the rest.

Once in a generation.

People will reminisce about Malkin's talents every time the "post-lockout era" (or whatever it's called) is brought up. He's arguably the most talented player of the last 10 years, has a cup, Smythe, and other hardware to back it up.

Guys like Tavares and Karlsson fit your definition of being franchise, but not generational

Church of Toews*

People will reminisce about Malkin's talents every time the "post-lockout era" (or whatever it's called) is brought up. He's arguably the most talented player of the last 10 years, has a cup, Smythe, and other hardware to back it up.

Gonna need a heck of a lot more than that to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Gretzky Howe Orr and Lemieux

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Depends on what you mean by generational? Is Forsberg, Sakic, Yzerman, Hull, etc. all generational? What about Messier or Selanne?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sure.

Why not?

The term has basically lost all meaning now that's it's used to describe the 1st overall pick every three years or so.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Guys like Tavares and Karlsson fit your definition of being franchise, but not generational

We reminisce about Sakic and Messier and Selanne too, but I don't think they're generational talents either.

I just draw the line pretty high with that phrase because I think generational players are a clear cut above their peers, even franchise players. Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, Crosby, etc.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
When he's on he's the best player in the league. Honestly I think he'll win the Hart this year too. He's definitely a generation talent.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
We reminisce about Sakic and Messier and Selanne too, but I don't think they're generational talents either.

I just draw the line pretty high with that phrase because I think generational players are a clear cut above their peers, even franchise players. Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, Crosby, etc.

Did you just mention Crosby in the same breath as Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr

while dismissing Sakic and Messier as nothing special? :shakehead:help::shakehead:help:

Crosby is at the level of Sakic and Yzerman.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll always think of him as a notch below the other two. He's just not quite there in my opinion. Great, great player but he doesn't make the list when I think 'generational talent.'

Crosby is. Ovechkin is. I don't think Malkin is quite there.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yes. When he feels like it he's better than Crosby.

For short spurts, maybe. Only year he bested Crosby when they both played near full seasons was 08-09. The reason people will always take Sid over Geno has nothing to do with pure talent, because Geno probably is the more talented player, but consistency. Geno never has been, and never will be as consistent as Sid. In fact, this year is the only year Sid has slowed down even a little bit...

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Did you just mention Crosby in the same breath as Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr

while dismissing Sakic and Messier as nothing special? :shakehead:help::shakehead:help:

Crosby is at the level of Sakic and Yzerman.

Wait, what do you base that on? Sid is the best player of his generation, Sakic and Yzerman were not.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Ovy has way nicer personal hardware over the same period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad