Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A Viable Path for Vlad Jr. to Fight Service-Time Manipulation | FanGraphs Baseball

I know i might be alone here but this is one of the stupidest hypothetical reason as to why the Jays would keep Vlad down.

Shapiro gave 5+ reasons as to why they have not called him up plus there are other legitimate reasons he didnt list but lets focus on the stupidest one.

The problem isnt what they Jays are doing rather the problem is with the rule. MLBPA needs to negotiate a better contract, plain and simple.

Just words on a page......

If the players and owners don’t like it, change it in the next CBA.

Clearly it would be better for everyone if Vlad was a September call up, starts the year in Toronto and it counted the same on his service time.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Just words on a page......

If the players and owners don’t like it, change it in the next CBA.

Clearly it would be better for everyone if Vlad was a September call up, starts the year in Toronto and it counted the same on his service time.
Yeah, how little coverage is being devoted to the real issue rather than the teams being blamed for doing what's in their best interest is weird. There is a fix. It would have to be nuanced and wouldn't be able to be x years after being drafted because that would favour college players over HS players, but this isn't rocket science.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'd love for the Jays to connect Rowdy with Delgado and Olerud during the off season. Would be great for him to get some advice from two of the best hitting first basemen Toronto has ever had, and lefties as well.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A Viable Path for Vlad Jr. to Fight Service-Time Manipulation | FanGraphs Baseball

I know i might be alone here but this is one of the stupidest hypothetical reason as to why the Jays would keep Vlad down.

Shapiro gave 5+ reasons as to why they have not called him up plus there are other legitimate reasons he didnt list but lets focus on the stupidest one.

The problem isnt what they Jays are doing rather the problem is with the rule. MLBPA needs to negotiate a better contract, plain and simple.

That is one awful rambling article. I'm really getting tired of these weaselly sports media, mainstream or fringe in this case, and their ever accelerating stunts for attention and social sabotage.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Keith Law being disingenuous as usual:

Dr. Bob: From an article by Jonah Keri, it appears that the Blue Jays are about to go with a youth movement. Don’t you need a better overall farm system to do that? Or is having a few top prospects enough?

Keith Law: They seem to believe they have a better farm system than they actually do.

Still acting like the Blue Jays are the only people who think this, and that he's not actually the outlier. Such a hack.

Reactions: kb and ktownhockey

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm good with having terrible prospects who hit .400 and OPS 1.200. Keep em coming... I'll take as many of those bad prospects as we can get our hands on.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Tellez reminds me a lot of Lance Berkman (on the field, not some of the weird off-field stuff that happened with Berkman lol).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We've seen this movie before with a guy called Adam Lind. He hit like this too in 2006 September but did he really amount to anything special? Nope. I really hope Tellez is different.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Keith Law being disingenuous as usual:

Still acting like the Blue Jays are the only people who think this, and that he's not actually the outlier. Such a hack.

Even if Jays management thinks there are some weak spots with their prospects they’re not going to come out publicly and voicr their concerns. Unless, of course, they’re setting up another trade with Cleveland.

He had a good point about the system being top heavy with Vlad and Bo, but that’s better than being bottom heavy with high school kids. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling down is silly.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If there's one thing the last month or so has provided, it's a genuine sense of optimism looking ahead to next season. It looks like Vlad could have a strong supporting cast.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I am hoping to see a bunch of Jays, whether vets or young, improve their K/BB. I'm not expecting Votto or Bregman here, and I realize this is a young team. But go down the list, its not good for many. It feels like its been a problem for this team for a while.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
We've seen this movie before with a guy called Adam Lind. He hit like this too in 2006 September but did he really amount to anything special? Nope. I really hope Tellez is different.
Considering Lind has hit 200 HR and a .272 career average, I'd be happy if Tellez was Lind 2.0

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Even if Jays management thinks there are some weak spots with their prospects they’re not going to come out publicly and voicr their concerns. Unless, of course, they’re setting up another trade with Cleveland.

He had a good point about the system being top heavy with Vlad and Bo, but that’s better than being bottom heavy with high school kids. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling down is silly.

Well yeah, having two top 10 prospects gives off the illusion that they’re a “top heavy” system, but you have to be really not paying attention to the farm to think that they are.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Considering Lind has hit 200 HR and a .272 career average, I'd be happy if Tellez was Lind 2.0
Was just thinking the same thing.

He was a quality player tbh. Not great, but probably above replacement level. I think he juiced for a contract year and hit some dingers and then regressed.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Lol at the Yankees celebrating a wild card berth when it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Boston and them would be in the playoffs last winter. I know, I know teams will keep celebrating like this no matter what and they can do what they want, I just think it looks silly.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I am hoping to see a bunch of Jays, whether vets or young, improve their K/BB. I'm not expecting Votto or Bregman here, and I realize this is a young team. But go down the list, its not good for many. It feels like its been a problem for this team for a while.

Some cases are smaller samples that stand a chance of regressing, but you're right, under-25 Jays are bottom 3 in BB/K. But, seasons from guys like Vlad and Bichette, as well as Jansen, McGuire, Tellez, and Biggio, have a chance at drastically bettering those numbers.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
bb/k numbers are actually one of the best things about prospects vladdy, bo, Jansen, and Tellez.

gurriel/mckinney/Alford not so much.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
If there's one thing the last month or so has provided, it's a genuine sense of optimism looking ahead to next season. It looks like Vlad could have a strong supporting cast.

Toronto has a vertible horde of average-ish position players who will be cheap for the upcoming years.

That's not a small thing. Plenty of contending teams have a group of stars and no depth. So its a good position to be in if you can add some stars to put in front of the mid-listers. The problem is getting genuine star players is one of the harder things to do. The hope would be that this prospect pool can deliver that. A big group of 2ish WAR players is great around a core of 4+ WAR guys, but is ineffectual on their own.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
bb/k numbers are actually one of the best things about prospects vladdy, bo, Jansen, and Tellez.

gurriel/mckinney/Alford not so much.

McKinney's BB and K rates have always been solid in the minors.

The nice part is that the guys for whom it's a concern project to be the secondary guys. I get that it's frustrating to watch now, but when the core consists of three guys who are either good (Bo) or elite (Vlad, Jansen) in the category, it won't seem like such a big deal that a few of the other guys don't walk enough and/or strikeout too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->