Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
To be more specific, everyone else thinks it's Top 5.

But, as we all know, they're only saying that because the Jays have told them to. Or... paid them to. Or... blackmailed them to? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the Jays are lying about stuff or something.

The man in white used the same camera setup he has to steal signs to record scandalous pics and video of various scouts and gave that to the Blue Jays in order to extort better farm rankings out of those scouts' employers.

They also prefer the term "extortion" to "blackmail" because the "x" makes it sound cool.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Yankees Have a Shot at Some Home-Run Records | FanGraphs Baseball

Worth noting Pearce has 10.

Jays top 5 in HRs this season. Top 10 in wRC+ all without Donaldson, Tulo and Martin not hitting up to snuff.

I expect this offense to be at least top 10 again with full seasons from Vladdy, Gurriel, Jansen, and maybe guys like Tellez and McKinney. Should have a decent floor with Smoak, Diaz, Grichuk and Hernandez.

Offense will be worth something next season. Need to work on pitching and defense.

One thing I noticed at the games I went to is the Jays hit the ball hard. If they can find a lineup that hits it more often they’ll be in good shape. Although, they don’t catch it and throw it very well.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It would be funny if they actually brought John Farrel back. That would be 3 straight managers that had 2 different stints with us. That would be pretty unique. I don't see it happening, though.

EDIT: oops, I am wrong. They went from Cito to Farrell then Gibby.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Yankees Have a Shot at Some Home-Run Records | FanGraphs Baseball

Worth noting Pearce has 10.

Jays top 5 in HRs this season. Top 10 in wRC+ all without Donaldson, Tulo and Martin not hitting up to snuff.

I expect this offense to be at least top 10 again with full seasons from Vladdy, Gurriel, Jansen, and maybe guys like Tellez and McKinney. Should have a decent floor with Smoak, Diaz, Grichuk and Hernandez.

Offense will be worth something next season. Need to work on pitching and defense.

They better have better options than Pillar hitting in the heart of the order.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
sure feels nice to crush the Rays (faint) hopes for a change.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
A Viable Path for Vlad Jr. to Fight Service-Time Manipulation | FanGraphs Baseball

I know i might be alone here but this is one of the stupidest hypothetical reason as to why the Jays would keep Vlad down.

Shapiro gave 5+ reasons as to why they have not called him up plus there are other legitimate reasons he didnt list but lets focus on the stupidest one.

The problem isnt what they Jays are doing rather the problem is with the rule. MLBPA needs to negotiate a better contract, plain and simple.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I find it funny that Eloy Jimenez is 2.5 years older, had 100 more Triple-A PA's, and has less than 10% of the amount of articles written about him in regards to "fightin' the power".

My general message to those writing said articles, and\or complaining via twitter or other mediums is to sod off.

Also, the GOAT comment from the comment section:

As a Yankee fan, I am all for this rule being changed.
Bring up your prospects now when the public deems it’s time and let our uber-rich ownership outbid your’s for them before they hit their prime and before you have a chance to compete. McCutchen would’ve had to shave years ago.
Somebody’s gonna be playing the victim card one way or another..

Shout out to the all Jays fans wanting Vlad up this september.

Reactions: Kurtz

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I find it funny that Eloy Jimenez is 2.5 years older, had 100 more Triple-A PA's, and has less than 10% of the amount of articles written about him in regards to "fightin' the power".

Yep. Vlad is a better prospect, but that doesn't mean he's more ready to play in the majors right now. Keeping Jimenez down is more egregious and harder to defend than what the Jays are doing with Vlad, but he's just a footnote in all the "Jays are screwing over Vlad!" articles.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

My general message to those writing said articles, and\or complaining via twitter or other mediums is to sod off.

Also, the GOAT comment from the comment section:

Shout out to the all Jays fans wanting Vlad up this september.
Also, why is Pete Alonso mentioned, with his .260 avg (and I think it was closer to .240 at the beginning of the month) and 26% k-rate? The Mets also have Dom Smith whom they conceivably could be wanting to give a look.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Its an interesting case if Vlad did decide to pursue legal action - would it be heard in the US court system or in Canada?

Reminds me of the Omar Lineares case back in the 90s - great read for those who have not heard about it.

The Curious Case of Omar Linares

But there was yet another complicating factor in this situation—not a complicating factor that ended up impacting the Jays directly, but one that certainly affected the public discourse surrounding their attempts to sign Linares. In complying with MLB’s injunction not to engage with Cuban teams and not actively try to sign Linares, the Jays were technically acting contrary to Canadian law. Federal legislation introduced in 1991 forbade Canadian businesses and American branch-plants in Canada from complying with American laws limiting their operations.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
This is nothing but more writer idiocy trying to envision some grand story. They will not try to pursue legal action because "they" (the Guerreros) have been in the same corner as the Blue Jays from the very beginning with regards to his envisioned timeline. Playing 3B was Vlad Jr's idea, apparently in accordance with his father and uncle who have steered his career. If they cared about him getting up to the show as fast as possible they would have just put him at 1B from the beginning, they obviously understand that his future earnings are exponentially greater if he can stick at an actual defensive position. These writers are idiotic; just earlier this year when internet-hype was pushing for his promotion to AAA his own uncle came out and sided with the organization (which he has no professional relationship with) by claiming that he needed more time in AA. I've gotten the sense the entire time that his father and uncle are old-school baseball guys and want him to suffer some, lets understand that these guys are from the "you have to pay your dues even if you are better than everyone" generation. They have been extremely vigilant in trying to keep him as grounded as possible, even if they themselves obviously understand how prodigious his bat is.

Reactions: BigBlu and Kurtz

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This is nothing but more writer idiocy trying to envision some grand story. They will not try to pursue legal action because "they" (the Guerreros) have been in the same corner as the Blue Jays from the very beginning with regards to his envisioned timeline. Playing 3B was Vlad Jr's idea, apparently in accordance with his father and uncle who have steered his career. If they cared about him getting up to the show as fast as possible they would have just put him at 1B from the beginning, they obviously understand that his future earnings are exponentially greater if he can stick at an actual defensive position. These writers are idiotic; just earlier this year when internet-hype was pushing for his promotion to AAA his own uncle came out and sided with the organization (which he has no professional relationship with) by claiming that he needed more time in AA. I've gotten the sense the entire time that his father and uncle are old-school baseball guys and want him to suffer some, lets understand that these guys are from the "you have to pay your dues even if you are better than everyone" generation. They have been extremely vigilant in trying to keep him as grounded as possible, even if they themselves obviously understand how prodigious his bat is.

It would be "idiotic" if she was suggesting something was going actually going to happen. All she's doing is looking at the situation from a legal perspective to see if there's an opening where something could happen.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
It would be "idiotic" if she was suggesting something was going actually going to happen. All she's doing is looking at the situation from a legal perspective to see if there's an opening where something could happen.

The man who wrote that article is an absolutely atrocious baseball writer, who can't even fact-check given what I've seen from the past, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to learn from a "lawyer" who's lawyering seems to be going so well that he spends his entire time writing crappy opinion pieces for Fangraphs (which for some reason is now trying to market itself as the TMZ of baseball or something, a far reach from a data-driven analytics site). I didn't bother to read the article, nor will I, but my statement was simply a general overview of the situation seeing as how "the writers" keep trying to make this a story.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Haven't had a lot of time to keep up with BB. From what has been seen, are Tellez and SRF legit? Saw the numbers, just want to ask the people who have been watching (Also, Jansen if possible).

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Haven't had a lot of time to keep up with BB. From what has been seen, are Tellez and SRF legit? Saw the numbers, just want to ask the people who have been watching (Also, Jansen if possible).
Jansen should be with the club in April. SRF has swing-and-miss stuff but still needs to work on figuring out where the ball's going, and I think he'll break camp in AAA. Tellez has been great in his short stint, but is riding a .481 BABIP and will be in AAA come April as well IMO.

Reactions: Apotheosis

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The man who wrote that article is an absolutely atrocious baseball writer, who can't even fact-check given what I've seen from the past, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to learn from a "lawyer" who's lawyering seems to be going so well that he spends his entire time writing crappy opinion pieces for Fangraphs (which for some reason is now trying to market itself as the TMZ of baseball or something, a far reach from a data-driven analytics site). I didn't bother to read the article, nor will I, but my statement was simply a general overview of the situation seeing as how "the writers" keep trying to make this a story.

That's a hell of a strong opinion for someone who hasn't bothered to read the article.

It's also a hell of a strong opinion on how terrible the author is when you don't know it's a woman. I'm guessing "what I've seen from the past" doesn't include a whole lot.

And how dare a lawyer enjoy writing about baseball, right?

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad