Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, the Red Sox would have made zero trades, drafted zero players, and signed zero players over the last three years if Cherington was still GM.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Fun to think of what Boston would look like if Cherington was still there and not Dombrowski.

They likely wouldn't have Sale, Price, Kimbrel, or Martinez, which means they probably wouldn't have a contending pitching staff, and would be missing arguably their best hitter.

On the other hand, they would still have these kids:

3B Shaw (28): MLB 1934pa, 110wrc+, 3.2war650
2B Moncada (23): MLB 856pa, 95wrc+, 2.1war650
OF Margot (23): MLB 1052pa, 85wrc+, 1.7war650
2B Asuaje (26): MLB 586pa, 75wrc+, -0.2war650
RH Kopech (22): AAA 126.1ip, 3.70era, 3.30fip, 3.41xfip
IF Dubon (23): AAA 358pa, 105wrc+
SS Guerra (22): AAA 464pa, 64wrc+
LH Allen (21): AA 121.0ip, 2.75era, 3.20fip, 3.57xfip
OF Basabe (21): AA 270pa, 111wrc+
RH Espinoza (20): ------ (18, A: 76.0ip, 4.38era, 2.99fip, 3.53xfip)
RH Pennington (23): A 32.1ip, 2.78era, 4.30fip, 3.87xfip
IF Basabe (21): A+ 249pa, 65wrc+
IF Coca (19): Rk+ 304pa, 85wrc+

Yeah, if Cherington was there they would totally replace every trade and signing with nothing and reduce payroll by $80 million.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm sure the red sox would have made a bunch more Porcello/Hanley/Sandoval type moves.

but "overpaying" for the A-listers like Sale, Kimbrel, Price, Martinez? I think we all know that wouldn't have happened.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So Christian Yelich for MVP in the NL? Pretty sad he wouldn't even be top-5 in the AL.

Imagine being one of Betts or Trout and not get the MVP with a potential 10+ WAR season.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So Christian Yelich for MVP in the NL? Pretty sad he wouldn't even be top-5 in the AL.

Imagine being one of Betts or Trout and not get the MVP with a potential 10+ WAR season.

To be fair, he shouldn’t even be the favourite in the NL but DeGrom literally has no team around him to help.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
To be fair, he shouldn’t even be the favourite in the NL but DeGrom literally has no team around him to help.

Imagine a pitcher with an 8-9 record and a team 13 games out of the playoffs winning the MVP?

The old boys club would literally quit.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Gotta be one of the dumbest argument in sports. "Your team didn't make the playoffs, so you weren't the MVP".

"you had an outstanding season by every personal metric imaginable, but we're going to penalize you for things beyond your control."

EDIT: The same old boys club also has made a case for JD Martinez over Mookie Betts, which is perhaps even more asinine than screwing over DeGrom.

Reactions: Morgs

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Jacob DeGrom.

9.0 WAR

8 Wins.

Has this ever happened before?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If 3 or 4 position players develop into viable everyday players from the group of Vladdy, Bichette, Alford, Smith, Biggio, Jansen, McGuire, Tellez etc... We are in a great position if players like Gurriel, Travis, Grichuk, Hernandez, McKinney and Diaz keep progressing and adding to team.

Where there is an unknown is on the pitching side. Other then Stroman, Sanchez, Borucki and Reid-Foley.

I would say the unknowns are the guys who haven’t played a game or just handful in the MLB.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
:laugh: Jamie interviewing Gil Kim

"There are several publications that rank farm systems and the Blue Jays seem to be top 10 on everyone's lists.*"
*except Keith Law.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
:laugh: Jamie interviewing Gil Kim

"There are several publications that rank farm systems and the Blue Jays seem to be top 10 on everyone's lists.*"
*except Keith Law.
*Keith Law's blood pressure rises randomly somewhere across the border*

Legend has it if you say "Jays system is top 10" 3 times in front of a mirror, a bitter ex-scout appears.

Reactions: phillipmike

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
To be more specific, everyone else thinks it's Top 5.

But, as we all know, they're only saying that because the Jays have told them to. Or... paid them to. Or... blackmailed them to? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the Jays are lying about stuff or something.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The Yankees Have a Shot at Some Home-Run Records | FanGraphs Baseball

Walker’s homer, a towering, second-deck blast to right field, was his 10th of the season.

That gave the Yankees 11 players in double digits, tying a mark that has been matched in each of the past four years, a period that admittedly has produced three of the four highest per-game home run rates in history (1.26 per team per game in 2017, 1.16 in 2016, and 1.15 this year).

This year’s Blue Jays could join the above 11×10 list if rookie Lourdes Gurriel Jr. hits two more homers over the remainder of the season, while the Yankees similarly have a shot at separating themselves from this pack if Voit, who didn’t even debut with the team until August 2, adds one more. Voit’s homers on Wednesday night, which were less majestic than Walker’s, represented his eighth and ninth since joining the team.

Worth noting Pearce has 10.

Jays top 5 in HRs this season. Top 10 in wRC+ all without Donaldson, Tulo and Martin not hitting up to snuff.

I expect this offense to be at least top 10 again with full seasons from Vladdy, Gurriel, Jansen, and maybe guys like Tellez and McKinney. Should have a decent floor with Smoak, Diaz, Grichuk and Hernandez.

Offense will be worth something next season. Need to work on pitching and defense.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The Yankees Have a Shot at Some Home-Run Records | FanGraphs Baseball

Worth noting Pearce has 10.

Jays top 5 in HRs this season. Top 10 in wRC+ all without Donaldson, Tulo and Martin not hitting up to snuff.

I expect this offense to be at least top 10 again with full seasons from Vladdy, Gurriel, Jansen, and maybe guys like Tellez and McKinney. Should have a decent floor with Smoak, Diaz, Grichuk and Hernandez.

Offense will be worth something next season. Need to work on pitching and defense.

The pitching is what's interesting to me come next year. Sanchez\Stroman\Borucki seem penned in. The remaining spots are intriguing. The free agents available this winter, outside of Corbin who is probably Yankee bound, aren't great. I'd probably rather have the young pitchers crap the bed for the year (similar to the 06/07 Rays with Shields, Jackson, Sonnanstein and Hammel). Internally, you have:

- Gaviglio: underwhelming stuff, but has acquitted himself well. I'm not comfortable with him being anymore than a LRP or spot starter
- Reid-Foley: will probably start in AAA. Would like to see continued development with his fastball command
- Waguespack: 6"6, mid-90's FB with garbage secondary offerings. I imagine they've identified in him (i.e. capacity to learn a cutter or splitter, etc.) which makes him a bit of a sleeper
- Merryweather: 6"4, mid 90's FB with good secondary offerings. Clearly a trend in the scouting department's acquisitions.
- Zeuch: will probably start in AAA as well, or at least be there by the end of April. The sinker is ready. 6"7, mid-90's FB as well.
- Hector Perez: 6"3, mid 90's FB with good secondary offerings, and no command whatsoever. Should probably spend the majority of the year in NH
- Harris\Romano: Probably behind Waguespack\Merryweather, which is saying something. Romano could be converted in the majors as a reliever.
- Murphy: also 6"4....also mid-90s FB. Will probably be in NH with Perez and Diaz
- Pearson: Very, very outside shot. But we'll see what the fall-league performance is like.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
To be more specific, everyone else thinks it's Top 5.

But, as we all know, they're only saying that because the Jays have told them to. Or... paid them to. Or... blackmailed them to? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the Jays are lying about stuff or something.

And then there is Warmouth :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->