Is every other team more disciplined, is it a ref bias, or what is it?

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
We've played 11 games against 10 teams so far this year.
8 of these 10 teams took fewer penalities against us than they've averaged against other teams in all their other games.
Or looking at it another way, in 9 out of 11 games, the opposition took fewer penalties against us than they do on average against other teams

The only 2 games where teams took more penalties against us than they did against other teams were the first game against San Jose (which was a penalty-filled game where SJ still had more PPs than us) and Edmonton (where we flat-out dominated them at ES)

This isn't statistically significant, but in such a small sample size this isn't a surprise. But the trend is obvious.

Team |Avg PK/G|Avg PK/G vs. Other Teams|PK/G vs. Canucks
BUF|3.20|3.22|3
CBJ|3.22|3.25|3
CGY|3.22|3.50|1
EDM | 3.60 | 3.33 | 6
MTL|4.22|4.38|3
NJD|2.78|2.88|2
NYI|2.78|2.88|2
PHI|4.75|5.29|1
PIT|2.89|3.13|1
SJS | 3.22 | 3.14 | 3.5

did you see my post earlier in the thread?
(post #25)

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Tortorella comments on the perception of the team and getting more calls:
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/1...-dive-and-i-hope-we-get-some-gawd-damn-calls/

Kind of in line with my thoughts on this issue. I don't think it's a big conspiracy and that the league is trying to keep us down or make the sport more popular in the US. It's just a bad reputation that's lingering like a bad smell. Refs still hammering them about it for some reason. Tortarella is doing the right thing, just play clean and honest and eventually things will even out again.

Fork

Mar 7, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
canucks had some dives, but so do other teams. why is it the canucks who must suffer? boston dives, san jose dives, do they also not get the calls?

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Kind of in line with my thoughts on this issue. I don't think it's a big conspiracy and that the league is trying to keep us down or make the sport more popular in the US. It's just a bad reputation that's lingering like a bad smell. Refs still hammering them about it for some reason. Tortarella is doing the right thing, just play clean and honest and eventually things will even out again.

That is still a conspiracy though. Refs are supposed to be unbiased, the fact that they deliberately give us the shaft due to our past proves that.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
canucks had some dives, but so do other teams. why is it the canucks who must suffer? boston dives, san jose dives, do they also not get the calls?

There's a lot of factors at work I think. Firstly, we were in direct competiton with the most vocal, intense fanbases out there and the media fed them controversy like it was Monday Night Raw. The Canucks became a top team and other Canadian markets went blind with jealousy. Their jealousy turned to anger and hatred and the media fed it to them, because that's their job. Then you throw in the big American markets like LA, Chicago, and Boston that became adversaries. Once the big markets decide to hate a team, the rest of the league will follow suit and so will their respective media. So every dive, every comment, every extra shot was scrutinized, twisted and sensationalized by the big markets and therefore all NHL markets. We had Oiler fans spending hours of their life creating videos of Canuck dives, in fact there's no other team that has diving videos made just for them as far as I have seen. Calgary Puck became a breeding ground for physcotics. I honestly know Oiler and Flame fans that would rather see the Canucks lose then have their own team win. That's infatuation. These big market teams became infatuated with hating the Canucks. That was what hockey was to them as their own teams meddled about and the Canucks rose to the top of the NHL. I spend time in Alberta for work and it's all over the radio, it's all over the cities, and it's all people talk about when it comes to hockey. It wasn't about their own teams, it was about the Canucks and their fans suffering.

Now with Tortarella's comments, we see that it didn't just spread to the fans of the sport, it spread right to the top of the NHL. The perception became that the Canucks dove and whined (they were guilty of both, but no where near to the extent it was made out to be) and combined with the Auger incident, the Canucks are not the refs favourite team. Then you add in the heated series with Boston, who just happen to be owned by probably the most powerful man in hockey. Bettman, Shanahan and most of the league answer to these BOG owners beleive me. None moreso than Jacobs. Once Jacobs was against us, we were hooped. And we're still feeling the after effects of our hooping.

Whether it's fair or not (it's not) the Canucks have been marked as the team to hate and it's going to take some time for that label to wear off. The good news is I beleive it will, and I beleive Tortarella feels the same. They're being retroactively punished for old bad habits and over-zealous Canuck haters. By asking for a clean slate like this, Tortarella is saying there is a problem here, we're not that team anymore, let's all move forward. Hopefully it works.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
That is still a conspiracy though. Refs are supposed to be unbiased, the fact that they deliberately give us the shaft due to our past proves that.

Refs are human, therefore they are subject to bias. Conspiracy is a strong word for it I think. They're just in the league's bad graces. They'll crawl out.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Refs are human, therefore they are subject to bias. Conspiracy is a strong word for it I think. They're just in the league's bad graces. They'll crawl out.

Then the NHL office needs to be aware of that and correct their officials. Yet when we see Mike Murphy spew his lies and blatant bias against us, we see the problem goes right to the top. Sick of these "they're human" BS responses.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Then the NHL office needs to be aware of that and correct their officials. Yet when we see Mike Murphy spew his lies and blatant bias against us, we see the problem goes right to the top. Sick of these "they're human" BS responses.

I think I cover this in my above post (longer one) if you want to read it.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
There's a lot of factors at work I think. Firstly, we were in direct competiton with the most vocal, intense fanbases out there and the media fed them controversy like it was Monday Night Raw. The Canucks became a top team and other Canadian markets went blind with jealousy. Their jealousy turned to anger and hatred and the media fed it to them, because that's their job. Then you throw in the big American markets like LA, Chicago, and Boston that became adversaries. Once the big markets decide to hate a team, the rest of the league will follow suit and so will their respective media. So every dive, every comment, every extra shot was scrutinized, twisted and sensationalized by the big markets and therefore all NHL markets. We had Oiler fans spending hours of their life creating videos of Canuck dives, in fact there's no other team that has diving videos made just for them as far as I have seen. Calgary Puck became a breeding ground for physcotics. I honestly know Oiler and Flame fans that would rather see the Canucks lose then have their own team win. That's infatuation. These big market teams became infatuated with hating the Canucks. That was what hockey was to them as their own teams meddled about and the Canucks rose to the top of the NHL. I spend time in Alberta for work and it's all over the radio, it's all over the cities, and it's all people talk about when it comes to hockey. It wasn't about their own teams, it was about the Canucks and their fans suffering.

Now with Tortarella's comments, we see that it didn't just spread to the fans of the sport, it spread right to the top of the NHL. The perception became that the Canucks dove and whined (they were guilty of both, but no where near to the extent it was made out to be) and combined with the Auger incident, the Canucks are not the refs favourite team. Then you add in the heated series with Boston, who just happen to be owned by probably the most powerful man in hockey. Bettman, Shanahan and most of the league answer to these BOG owners beleive me. None moreso than Jacobs. Once Jacobs was against us, we were hooped. And we're still feeling the after effects of our hooping.

Whether it's fair or not (it's not) the Canucks have been marked as the team to hate and it's going to take some time for that label to wear off. The good news is I beleive it will, and I beleive Tortarella feels the same. They're being retroactively punished for old bad habits and over-zealous Canuck haters. By asking for a clean slate like this, Tortarella is saying there is a problem here, we're not that team anymore, let's all move forward. Hopefully it works.

Extremely well put:handclap:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Agreed.

If they can't do their job properly, there should be consequences. Just like every other job.

Put some more time and money into training, or implement an appeal or the ability to review plays.

It's become an absolute disgrace.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Henrik getting his leg lifted in front of them and nothing....farcical.

If anyone has a GIF of that I'd be great.

Last edited:

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
What football movie was that where they purposely sack the ref to get him to call a fair game. Maybe we need to employ that kind of tactic, because this is getting out of hand.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
it's just gonna get worse. refs are clearly not on vancouver's side.. even if torts does say something to the media, he'll eventually get fined too. gillis and aquaman should have their say. its ridlicous.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
obvious bias. there's alot of hate towards us since 2011. ref will be affected by that media wether subconsciously or not.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
PP 3-2, got one in OT late. They are on the road too so I wouldn't expect to out PP a team on road. But at some point we have to actually make teams PAY on the ones we're given.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I counted 6 penalties committed on the Sedins vs the Devils. And not just anything but legit penalties that are typically called.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
PP 3-2, got one in OT late. They are on the road too so I wouldn't expect to out PP a team on road. But at some point we have to actually make teams PAY on the ones we're given.

Hard to get into any sort of rhythm when you only get 1 or 2 a game. So there's that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad