Is Eric Staal "done"?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I suppose it's possible, but for a guy who has made $86.9 million what good is signing a $750,000 contract on a bad team (he has no use for a team trying to compete)?
For love of the game?

Sometimes it can be hard to retire, because once you do then there is usually no turning back.

I think players should play until they are 100% content with walking away with no regrets. Either that or they are facing life-altering injuries.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He turned it up early in the playoffs but during the regular season he might have been the worst player in the nhl

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I'd say he plays one last year. He didn't deserve to play the last couple of games

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If that is the case, he wouldn't have signed with the Sharks. Although that was maybe the only team willing to give him a contract.
I think that was the only team that would have him. He's sucked for almost 6 years.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Staal looked so bad since he was expected to play on the 4th line with Perry and cause havoc in the offensive zone. That's just not Staal's style at all. Not that he should get it at this point in his career, but Staal is the type of player who can "only" play 1st-2nd line minutes, assuming those lines are playing a more traditional skill style.

Perry excelled at mixing it up on the 4th line, being aggressive and physical and was noticeable. Those traits are just completely antithetical to how Staal has played his entire career. He's not as fast as he once was either, but his passing and stickhandling is fine.

Last edited:

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I suppose it's possible, but for a guy who has made $86.9 million what good is signing a $750,000 contract on a bad team (he has no use for a team trying to compete)?
Like previously mentioned he does still love the game. Physically just doesn't have it anymore and its not to say he doesn't try. Time is catching up. All them are the same way. Good guys from my home town and big names here. They do have a habit of helping a lot of people out though done discretely none of them are out buying anything too extravagent.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Some people play for the love of the sport

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
For love of the game?

Sometimes it can be hard to retire, because once you do then there is usually no turning back.

I think players should play until they are 100% content with walking away with no regrets. Either that or they are facing life-altering injuries.
I wonder if Marc’s still playing, even with all the health setbacks an injuries, has inspired Eric to keep going. Sort of “what’s your excuse?” Not saying it’s right or wrong; just speculation.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Still remember when he signed that, what, $8MM AAV deal with Carolina? To think that it was an insane sum back then. Ha!

Salary cap inflation for you. In the first year of the deal (09-10), he consumed ~14.5% of the cap. Today, that's equivalent to ~$11.84 mil, which would be the 2nd highest cap hit in the league behind McDavid.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I can actually envision him back on the Canes as a vet 4C playing with his brother again and under his former captain, who he has a good relationship with.

He played on a lot of bad to mediocre Carolina teams. It'd be fun to see him put on #12 again on a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->