Is Eric Lindros eligible for a performance-incentive contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I'm getting mixed signals.

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/08/03/1157523-sun.html

says: "...he likely will gamble on Eric Lindros, who he can afford because Lindros missed 100 days of hockey last time there was a season and qualifies for performance bonuses and he will hope. "

This refers to the NHL.com CBA FAQ:

"What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35. "

My problem: I count only ~85 days on IR in Lindros' 2003-2004 campaign.

10/20/03 to 11/8/03 (20 days) and 1/29/04 to end of season 4/3/04 (65 days).

So, my question: is it more likely that the above-linked article is wrong, or is there something I'm not taking account-of (playoff days on IR counting, even for a player on a team that missed the playoffs)?

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
tmg said:
I'm getting mixed signals.

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/08/03/1157523-sun.html

says: "...he likely will gamble on Eric Lindros, who he can afford because Lindros missed 100 days of hockey last time there was a season and qualifies for performance bonuses and he will hope. "

This refers to the NHL.com CBA FAQ:

"What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35. "

My problem: I count only ~85 days on IR in Lindros' 2003-2004 campaign.

10/20/03 to 11/8/03 (20 days) and 1/29/04 to end of season 4/3/04 (65 days).

So, my question: is it more likely that the above-linked article is wrong, or is there something I'm not taking account-of (playoff days on IR counting, even for a player on a team that missed the playoffs)?

concussion issues and missing games in the past 4 years..

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Either you didn't understand my question or I don't understand your answer. I'm asking about the new CBA rules governing what players are eligible for incentive-laden contracts. I'm not asking why teams would want to sign him to a low-risk contract; that's obvious. I'm asking is he's even eligible for such a contract under the new CBA - because by my reading of what's been released so far, he isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->