Speculation: Is Enroth ready?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
In a shortened season? Pft. I'm talking career, but if you want to continue to use that small sample size, Miller's 14 GP this year equate to .918, while Enroth's 12 GP last year to .878 or 7 GP this year to .862.

Enroth rarely makes the big save on the PP, as his size and relative deepness in net combine to make him prone to cross-ice attempts and tips.

"the big save"

ahaha why not try to argue "grit" or "clutch"

beyond that trying to cite sample size for a player that's played 60 games in his career is a bit of a laugh

2011-12 he was on par with Thomas, better than Luongo, Halak, Backstrom, Pavelec, Varly, Reimer, etc

2010-11 he was better than Halak, Rask, Lundqvist, Howard, Niemi, Lehtonen, etc

And above all else the question is how enroth is now, not two years ago or more. In addressing that question last season, shortened or not, is inherently more relevant

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure the questions asked are the relevant ones. Being ready to take a full workload, have the team "handed over" to him, does not mean capable of being consistently good enough to win a couple playoff series and get to a SC final.

Is Enroth good enough to handle a PLAYOFF load and beat playoff competition? That's the question we should ask. For now I think he's a decent back-up and would be an average starter - not quite good enough for Cup contender. I don't think he needs a 60 start season to establish his value either. Coaches can make determinations from a back-up workload and practice, but from what I've seen his size is a small disadvantage...enough to make a difference.

Seeing as how this team isn't going to be a playoff contender for a while, I don't see how that matters. The question is whether or not they can go into next season with Enroth as a starter. If they can and do, then they can evaluate if he should be their starter going forward. I'm reasonably certain he won't be our starter in a few years, but I imagine he will be next year.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Does it really matter if Enroth can be a starter for a bad/mediocre team? You can put any goalie in the league in Buffalo's net the next two seasons and say he's good enough. But what matters is beyond that, whether he's good enough to be a starter for a playoff/Cup contending team.

I know Miller is that goalie. Even though I think he still will be in 3-4 years, I understand if others believe he should be moved because after 3-4 years his career is most likely over or very close to it. That window isn't big enough to justify re-signing him. Keeping Miller is probably a moot point anyway since it's up to him too. I'd rather replace Miller with another non-small goalie with starter/Vezina potential. Not sure when that can happen, but asking whether Enroth can be a starter for bad team is neither here nor there. Asking if he can back-stop a Cup contender is the more valid question. Every position on this team should be evaluated on whether a player can fulfill a role on a Cup contender.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Agree with other posters that he sits too deep in the net and is vulnerable glove side high. I do like him and, for this season, I think we could move Miller and give him a run. If it goes sour, it doesn't really matter as high draft picks are the goal. Really, I'd like to know this season if he will implode under a full workload. That way, we can determine whether or not we need to grab one of the UFA goalies in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad