Speculation: Is Enroth ready?

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Do you think he can handle a full workload right now?

Has he shown enough improvement to hand the team over to him?

From a technical perspective, do you see any major holes in his game that haven't been addressed?

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Yes. But even if you aren't sure, if you don't try to find out now if Enroth is ready or not, then when will you?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
He's ready, though that doesn't mean he'll be amazing. He still has some flaws in his game, but I don't think they prohibit him from being a starter.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Do I think he's ready to be the new tank commander?

Yes, I do.

:sarcasm:

I have no idea if he could handle the workload that would come if the Sabres dealt Miller tomorrow and called up Hackett to back him up?

Who knows if Hackett could handle being an NHL back up given how he's played this season?

But, it's likely going to happen at the start of next season at the latest, so I'm interested in seeing what happens.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I have no idea if he could handle the workload that would come if the Sabres dealt Miller tomorrow and called up Hackett to back him up?

Who knows if Hackett could handle being an NHL back up given how he's played this season?

But, it's likely going to happen at the start of next season at the latest, so I'm interested in seeing what happens.

If the Sabres don't think he's ready by next year, tank or not, you have to bring someone in.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If the Sabres don't think he's ready by next year, tank or not, you have to bring someone in.

I think you have to play him as the #1 to find out.

He could be Biron-esque. He could crumble under the workload. I really have no idea which way it will go because he looks solid at times and horrible at others, largely because he's so dang short.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
If not now when? It is better we find out the answer to this question than not. With questions regarding Hacketts readiness I certainly dont want to go into 2016 without a plan or solution in net.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Off the top of my head? Positioning. Many times too deep in own crease, or fails to cut off shooting angles.

I was thinking high-glove being one thing that is exploited now. Five hole seems to be closed more than in his losing streak.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Also, goalies typically have to be your best penalty killer and Enroth's never been that, posting a PP SV% in the .870's.

Note that's better than last year's performance by Rask, Bob, Howard, Backstrom, Miller, Lundqvist, Holtby, Hiller, Rinne, Price

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Might as well give him a chance, but the only way he gets his chance is if Miller is moved. I'm fully on board with an Enroth/Hackett tandem to see what they are capable of in the next couple of years.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Note that's better than last year's performance by Rask, Bob, Howard, Backstrom, Miller, Lundqvist, Holtby, Hiller, Rinne, Price
In a shortened season? Pft. I'm talking career, but if you want to continue to use that small sample size, Miller's 14 GP this year equate to .918, while Enroth's 12 GP last year to .878 or 7 GP this year to .862.

Enroth rarely makes the big save on the PP, as his size and relative deepness in net combine to make him prone to cross-ice attempts and tips.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I think he has excellent goalie abilities: side to side, flexibility, quickness, glove, and his attitude but I don't think he'll ever be a solid #1. If the nets were smaller, sure but didn't it come across when we played LA in LA, he is the smallest goalie in the NHL. I'm pretty sure the LA announcers said it, sorry, he's a typical Darcy guy...great skills but too damn small to be a major force in the NHL

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He's ready for where this team is now...

But if you want playoffs.. No.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
enroth is ready to be a starter in the nhl but who knows how good he'll be after being a #1 for a while. keep in mind he's never been the #1 at the nhl level he's always been a back up. he def has potential and he's shown it many times. The best way to see if he can develop into a very good #1 is to make him a starter (since he is ready) and see where that development takes him in a couple years.

our defense isn't exactly the greatest so he'll continue to see tons of shots. but with a good defense (in a few years) and with steady progression to getting better..i think this guy def has a chance of being a solid net minder for us.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm not sure the questions asked are the relevant ones. Being ready to take a full workload, have the team "handed over" to him, does not mean capable of being consistently good enough to win a couple playoff series and get to a SC final.

Is Enroth good enough to handle a PLAYOFF load and beat playoff competition? That's the question we should ask. For now I think he's a decent back-up and would be an average starter - not quite good enough for Cup contender. I don't think he needs a 60 start season to establish his value either. Coaches can make determinations from a back-up workload and practice, but from what I've seen his size is a small disadvantage...enough to make a difference.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He'd be fine for this year and the next, maybe the one after that. But longer than that? Probably not. The problem with him as a goaltender is that he's so short that even very good defensive systems and players can't make up for that deficiency. Not every goalie has to be a huge guy like the current trend is to have but Enroth is really pushing it at 5'10" and anyone who has seem him next to other players knows that that listed height is very generous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad