Is David Pastrnak a better goal scorer than a prime Brett Hull?

Is David Pastrnak a better goal scorer than a prime Brett Hull

• Yes he is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Hull was better

Votes: 51 100.0%
  • I wasn't old enough to watch Hull in his prime

• Too close to call

• Both are even

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pastrnak is very good, but there’s no argument for him here. Hull’s three years of leading the league was one of the best goalscoring peaks of all time, and his 86 goal season might be the best goalscoring year all time. Pasta has two big goalscoring years but he was only tied for 1st and then 2nd in those years. Hull finished 2nd in his 4th best year. Others pass Hull due to also having high peaks but more years near the top. Pasta doesn’t match him in either.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Uhnn no. Brett Hull arguably had the best peak for a goal scorer ever while Pasta has been a top 3 goal scorer for a few years now.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Pastrnak is very good, but there’s no argument for him here. Hull’s three years of leading the league was one of the best goalscoring peaks of all time, and his 86 goal season might be the best goalscoring year all time. Pasta has two big goalscoring years but he was only tied for 1st and then 2nd in those years. Hull finished 2nd in his 4th best year. Others pass Hull due to also having high peaks but more years near the top. Pasta doesn’t match him in either.
Totally agree....Pastrnak has done nothing to compare to that 3 year peak when Hull lead the league in goals by 10, 16 and 35 goals (69% better than #2....insane). Pastrnak has never scored more goals than everyone else even one year....he tied for the lead once, but never lead.

Crow

May 19, 2014
He did say prime not peak which makes it closer but it’s still Hull.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Uhnn no. Brett Hull arguably had the best peak for a goal scorer ever while Pasta has been a top 3 goal scorer for a few years now.
I mean, Pasta technically hasn't even been a top 3 goal scorer for a few years now either.....he's currently 5th, was 2nd last year and was 15th the year before. Cumulatively over the past several years or so he's been good though as he's played most of the games and he's held his own in the top 10-15 except for 20-21 when he finished 32nd.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
I mean, Pasta technically hasn't even been a top 3 goal scorer for a few years now either.....he's currently 5th, was 2nd last year and was 15th the year before. Cumulatively over the past several years or so he's been good though as he's played most of the games and he's held his own in the top 10-15 except for 20-21 when he finished 32nd.
I just looked at the totals over the last 3 years. Matthews at #1 with 160, Pasta at #2 with 146, Drai at #3 with 145.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I absolutely love David Pastranak, but Brett Hull is one of the best of the best of the best. With honors.

If and when Pasta cracks the 80+ threshold… maybe we can revisit this.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I just looked at the totals over the last 3 years. Matthews at #1 with 160, Pasta at #2 with 146, Drai at #3 with 145.
Yes, that's what I meant by being there cumulatively....but in single seasons, he hasn't really been at the top that often....just close enough where he'll be near the top when accumulating as the top guys will come and go each year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He did say prime not peak which makes it closer but it’s still Hull.

I’m not sure it does. Hull has 1 more top 10 goalscoring season outside of his 3 seasons leading the league than Pasta has total. And in the 5 years after his peak, he was still 2nd in the league in goals overall.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
My childhood memories feel attacked by this question, of course it's Brett Hull. It has to be.

He was on Letterman twice and had a promotional comic through McDonald's where he beat some hockey playing robots. How many robot teams has Pastrnak beaten?

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
lol Hull wins in actual goals, adjusted goals, goals relative to peers, career goals, PP goals, overtime goals, playoff goals, goal scored on Tuesdays, goals scored on frosty nights in Buffalo.

Lock this.

Edit: Forgot the most important metric. Hull also leads in cup winning goals scored with your toe in the crease.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyHagelin

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Pastrnak is fun to watch.

Maybe people just forget how good Hull was though.

And he’d do it skating worse than I do while bitching out his teammates, coaches, etc.

Pastrnak might be a better all around player but he’s not at Hull’s level goal scoring wise. Nothing to be ashamed of either. Not many guys could say they’re in the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad