Is David Booth Useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
It's just you. Booth is fine, just got back off of injury, was fine last year. Only worry for me is that he has been injured a lot.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
This is his 4th game, cut him some slack, Gary.

3 games in... :facepalm:

When did we hear this before...? Oh right, last year, after his knee injury. This guy has never been the same after the Richards hit, and Gary isn't wrong in calling him out for his (lack of) performance.

Booth has a place on a second line probably, just not with the Canucks, because every time he touches the puck, his low IQ decisions kill the play. He's strictly a north-south player who just bull rushes up and down the ice, without doing much else. Why are people expecting that to change?

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
When you are being paid $4.2 million to be a goal scoring Top 6 power forward, and you don't produce points or hit, then you are useless.

He uses his speed and size on a regular basis. You need to stop using the term "useless". Not worth his pay, sure, but far from useless. He finishes checks, and crashes the net. There is value in those qualities.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
For his cap hit I don't like what he brings. Just not a smart player, has all the physical tools for sure but doesn't think the game very well. His passing is still pathetic.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
When did we hear this before...? Oh right, last year, after his knee injury. This guy has never been the same after the Richards hit, and Gary isn't wrong in calling him out for his (lack of) performance.

Booth has a place on a second line probably, just not with the Canucks, because every time he touches the puck, his low IQ decisions kill the play. He's strictly a north-south player who just bull rushes up and down the ice, without doing much else. Why are people expecting that to change?

Is he overpaid? Yeah. Is he 3x overpaid? No, probably by about $1 million.

I have no idea why Hansen is being used as a comparable. Hansen's highest goal output of his career was last season, and he scored as many as Booth did in 26 fewer games.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Man you guys have no patience. It his 3rd game back he has been getting good chances and he will score soon like jeez give him time. Whats next is Kesler useless?

EDIT: See he almost got a goal there off the post. Also it's Nashville its always low scoring. Would I trade him maybe. But would have to be in a package for a good forward.

PearJuice*

That line has been dominant 5-on-5. I don't know what more you could ask. Goals will come with play like this.

That line can skate fast, but can they move the puck quickly enough to produce points? No.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Is he overpaid? Yeah. Is he 3x overpaid? No, probably by about $1 million.

I have no idea why Hansen is being used as a comparable. Hansen's highest goal output of his career was last season, and he scored as many as Booth did in 26 fewer games.

I'm talking about his value to the Canucks, not just his pay. On this team, he's third line material, not second. Placing your hope on a guy of his caliber to generate offense and production for that second line will probably lead to disappointment when the playoffs roll around.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
That line can skate fast, but can they move the puck quickly enough to produce points? No.

:laugh: They're spending 80% of their time in the offensive zone. They're the only line dominating in scoring chances for the past 2 games (were the only line with positive chance differential against the Stars). Goals will come with play like this.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So last year when healthy he was great, there is no disputing this, something like 15 games of great play. Then he is out for 6 weeks, comes back and as expected is not the same.

Now coming of 10 months of no games, he has looked great with the exception of his hands.

I think you are crazy in your assessment.

PearJuice*

:laugh: They're spending 80% of their time in the offensive zone. They're the only line dominating in scoring chances for the past 2 games (were the only line with positive chance differential against the Stars). Goals will come with play like this.

How many actual scoring chances did they generate? Not many.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm talking about his value to the Canucks, not just his pay. On this team, he's third line material, not second. Placing your hope on a guy of his caliber to generate offense and production for that second line will probably lead to disappointment when the playoffs roll around.

He's a complimentary piece, I don't think anyone would dispute that. If he was a 20-25 goal scorer who was the offensive engine for his line, he'd be $1 million underpaid.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don't care about those stats. They mean nothing. David Booth hasn't been finishing his chances for a long time now. That's the stat that matters.

Then go set up a blog about it. There are plenty of free blogging platforms. You can express your opinions about David Booth all day long.

This is a discussion forum. You're not interested in discussion, so I'm not certain as to why you chose this platform.

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
How long will we have to wait? He's 28 years old. He should be in the prime of his career, but all indications are that he is in decline.
You realize that every time he's on a roll in his career, he's always been hampered with injuries which slows him down? Before he had to deal with a concussion from Richards, he was playing a pretty good offensive game playing at a point a game pace. Then he came back, and then he had to deal with another injury.. Then he was traded to Vancouver, had a few games to settle down and into the groove, then he gets injured once he finally settled in, started producing... Comes back, starts to find his groove again, and then he gets hit with a nasty knee injury. Then he has to deal with a groin injury at the begining of the season... You see, every time he's come back and finally finds his groove, he gets hampered with injuries. It's not his fault that he can't get going. It's not his fault that he's always been bitten by the injury bug..

Didn't he play about 60 games for the Nucks last season? He was just as ineffective then.
Again, he had to come back from injury. He's never had time to finally find his groove to produce offensively.. Unfortunately, we didn't sign him to that contract at 4.2 milion a year but that's just what we have to deal with for another couple years..

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Wow, what does this mean? Are you implying he's not expected to bring this to the Canucks? Why did Gillis get him then?

You overlooked the part where he said he was a secondary player, and that if he was a guy that was putting up those numbers while carrying his line, he'd be worth way more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad