Is David Booth Useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PearJuice*

David Booth is skilled "Top 6" forward who doesn't produce points.

He can skate like the wind but uses his speed to skate around the perimeter of the play, accomplishing little.

He is a big guy but he rarely hits, or uses his size to his advantage in any tangible way.

He doesn't kill penalties, and invariably plays himself off the PP any time he gets an opportunity.

He is like the second coming of Houdini in the playoffs. He disappears as soon as puck drops.

Is it just me, or is David Booth useless? As a diehard Canucks fan, he is incredibly frustrating to watch.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

He can skate like the wind but uses his speed to skate around the perimeter of the play, accomplishing little.

He is a big guy but he rarely hits, or uses his size to his advantage in any tangible way.

He doesn't kill penalties, and invariably plays himself off the PP any time he gets an opportunity.

He is like the second coming of Houdini in the playoffs. He disappears as soon as puck drops.

Is it just me, or is David Booth useless? As a diehard Canucks fan, he is incredibly frustrating to watch.

Have you seen Booth play?
He crashes the net a lot and throws his body around. He does a pretty darn good job of drawing penalties.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010

1. Wrong
2. Wrong
3. Wrong again
4. I agree
5. He's only played 5 playoff games in his career :laugh:
6. It's mostly just you

PearJuice*

Have you seen Booth play?
He crashes the net a lot and throws his body around. He does a pretty darn good job of drawing penalties.

Of course I've seen Booth play. Far too often. I disagree with your optimistic assessment of his effectiveness.

The guy makes 4.2 million. Hansen is more effective, and costs about 1/3 of the price.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Of course I've seen Booth play. Far too often. I disagree with your optimistic assessment of his effectiveness.

The guy makes 4.2 million. Hansen is more effective, and costs about 1/3 of the price.

Is this about his contract? If so then yeah I wish we weren't paying him that much. But to pretend he doesn't do anything is pretty ignorant.

PearJuice*

Is this about his contract? If so then yeah I wish we weren't paying him that much. But to pretend he doesn't do anything is pretty ignorant.

He is being paid 3x the amount he's actually worth. It's a problem.

Perhaps I exaggerated Booth's negatives but I really am not impressed with him at all.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If he keeps playing the way he has so far, the goals and points will come. He is far from being a useless player.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
He is being paid 3x the amount he's actually worth. It's a problem.

Perhaps I exaggerated Booth's negatives but I really am not impressed with him at all.

4.25 is his cap.
4.25/3 is 1.4.
Where can you find a second liner for 1.4 million dollars, excluding those on entry level contracts (ELC)?
Even if you don't think he is a 2nd liner, who can you get that is better than Booth for 1.4 million dollars that is not on ELCs?

As Nuckles wrote, he is worth at least 3 to 3.5 million on the open market.
I can see him can something similar to what he gets now, and maybe even more.
It is the way the NHL operates right now.

He also has played only 3 games right now.
Give him some time.

PearJuice*

If he keeps playing the way he has so far, the goals and points will come. He is far from being a useless player.

How long will we have to wait? He's 28 years old. He should be in the prime of his career, but all indications are that he is in decline.

palefire

Jun 3, 2005
Roughly speaking there are 90 first-line forwards in the NHL, and 90 second-line forwards, so the average second line forward is the 135th best forward in the league. In terms of points per game, the #135 scorer is somewhat about 0.5 PPG, the #180 is somewhat below. Booth is at around 0.5 PPG. So if you want to go strictly by points, he's a below-average second line forward (and this sticks out on the Canucks because so many of our players are above-average at their role). But he is a second line forward nonetheless.

(Note that by this metric the Canucks have around 8 second-line forwards, which makes sense since they're a pretty strong team.)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
How long will we have to wait? He's 28 years old. He should be in the prime of his career, but all indications are that he is in decline.

Remember how Burrows looked in the first few games of this season?
Yeah, he sucked. You know why? There was a lockout.
Booth hadn't played hockey in 9+ months, give him a few games to get into the groove of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->