Is Claude Giroux a top 10 winger in the league?

Yes

• Total voters

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
If he was centre I would say no.

In no particular order:
McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Kuznetsov
Matthew's
Tavares
Bergeron
Point
Malkin
Backstrom

Sure I missed someone
, but this is before including some young guys that look like they could be better right away. I would have Giroux near Stamkos and Seguin

On the fence with Kopitar, hart finalist to not very good. But LA in general is bad
Getzlaf. The guy is still a beast and has been amazing for 10+ years now but rarely gets talked about in the top 10 conversation which is laughable. 120 points in 125 playoff games as well.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I don’t know what it is about Giroux, but if anyone else scored 132 points in 106 games they’d probably get more respect.
Most underrated star of this generation without a doubt. And it's not just points with him, he's great at everything

Reactions: klutch

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He's actually a LW/C. He still plays center. At 3v3, 4v4, PK, & PP, he's a center.

Even when he's a LW at 5v5, he still plays a lot of center, i.e., in the offensive zone he's usually doing the things a center does, in the defensive zone he almost exclusively plays LW, and in the neutral zone he switches off C & LW situationally. Look at both of Couturier's goals yesterday. Giroux's clearly playing center & Couts is clearly the LW on both of them.
This is too deep for most to follow. Giroux is a hybrid and is a top 10 player, top 5 forward in the league. Top 5 at C or Wing whatever you want to label him

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Better than MacKinnon so where does that leave him?

I'm a Flyers fan and even I think that's dubious. There's not much of a gap (Giroux isn't with the league's top scorer) but it's hard to say he's better than MacKinnon.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Better than MacKinnon so where does that leave him?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Pay Carl

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I'm a Flyers fan and even I think that's dubious. There's not much of a gap (Giroux isn't with the league's top scorer) but it's hard to say he's better than MacKinnon.
It's easy to say he's better.

- not playing with league leader in points
- much better defensively
- less offensive system
- similar offensive production both this year and last.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Of the top 15 scorers, every one of them have a teammate who is top 40 in scoring except Giroux and Kane.

Voracek is 86th in scoring.

So Giroux is producing with very little help. Not to mention, they have a crap PP right now. He is tied for 10th in ES points. So much for the "PP only" tag some wanted to brand him with.

4th in overall points, 3rd in ES points over the last 2 years.

Reactions: Jtown

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I can’t belive it’s possible to be so dumb.

Well here’s my super in-depth explanation. Go look at NHLstats.com
Read next time. I already conceded my mistake. I haven't really been following philly or Colorado lately. As of 2 weeks soo ago Giroux and Mack were within 2-3 points of eachother in the top 3-5. I see MacKinnon took off since.

Nevertheless Giroux was better overall last year and every year before that and has a much better track record. In terms of complete game, Giroux is far ahead. In terms of offensive skill and physical talent it goes to Mack. Thus far this year Mack has been better, granted with much more help. If he continues to be better it'll be the first year in his career that he's been better.

McKinnon is getting a lot of deserved love right now and Giroux is thee most underrated superstar of this generation. Perfect storm for the group-think mentality you have when comparing these players.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Read next time. I already conceded my mistake. I haven't really been following philly or Colorado lately. As of 2 weeks soo ago Giroux and Mack were within 2-3 points of eachother in the top 3-5. I see MacKinnon took off since.

Nevertheless Giroux was better overall last year and every year before that and has a much better track record. In terms of complete game, Giroux is far ahead. In terms of offensive skill and physical talent it goes to Mack. Thus far this year Mack has been better, granted with much more help. If he continues to be better it'll be the first year in his career that he's been better.

McKinnon is getting a lot of deserved love right now and Giroux is thee most underrated superstar of this generation. Perfect storm for the group-think mentality you have when comparing these players.

Oh.. and according to NHLstats.com Rantanen and Mack are the two best players in hockey. Given that you're a Avs homer I'm sure you agree.

Rantanen > Mack > McDavid > Crosby

Math checks out

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
If he was centre I would say no.

In no particular order:
McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Kuznetsov
Matthew's
Tavares
Bergeron
Point
Malkin
Backstrom

Sure I missed someone, but this is before including some young guys that look like they could be better right away. I would have Giroux near Stamkos and Seguin

On the fence with Kopitar, hart finalist to not very good. But LA in general is bad
Giroux scored well over 100 points last season on a trash team. He's easily top ten.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Giroux scored well over 100 points last season on a trash team. He's easily top ten.

Trash team, but they weren't really trash offensively. On the pp with a 65 point Dman....with his most frequent linemates at EV being - Couturier (84.6%), Konecny (38.8%), and Voracek (35.6%). The most common of which had people wanting him to win the Selke because of his 76 points and elite defensive play. I'll give you that Konecny didn't stand out, but Voracek was over PPG, and their PP unit was stacked.

The original thread was asking if he was a top-10 centre...the title has been amended to ask if he is a top-10 winger. Which IMO he is; there are less elite wingers than elite centres.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Trash team, but they weren't really trash offensively. On the pp with a 65 point Dman....with his most frequent linemates at EV being - Couturier (84.6%), Konecny (38.8%), and Voracek (35.6%). The most common of which had people wanting him to win the Selke because of his 76 points and elite defensive play. I'll give you that Konecny didn't stand out, but Voracek was over PPG, and their PP unit was stacked.

The original thread was asking if he was a top-10 centre...the title has been amended to ask if he is a top-10 winger. Which IMO he is; there are less elite wingers than elite centres.
Top 5 at both. Top 10 isn't even debatable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->