News Article: Is Chris Chelios a crybaby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian Roulette

Jul 27, 2016
Sin City, NV
With talks of #24 on the move from Detroit to be closer to his home in Chicago. This seems like a good time as any to bring up his book back launch in 2014 where he attacked Leaf's president Brendan Shanahan.

And I quote: “The one shot I’d take at Shanny is — you be the judge — if you like politicians, then Shanny’s your guy. If you don’t, well, then you don’t like him. I’ll leave it at that.”

Seems like sour-grapes from Chris on that one. Shanny was always a better player then he.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Shanahan *is* great politically. That's not an insult, the president of the leafs needs to be good at that.

Reactions: 7even

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
With talks of #24 on the move from Detroit to be closer to his home in Chicago. This seems like a good time as any to bring up his book back launch in 2014 where he attacked Leaf's president Brendan Shanahan.

And I quote: “The one shot I’d take at Shanny is — you be the judge — if you like politicians, then Shanny’s your guy. If you don’t, well, then you don’t like him. I’ll leave it at that.”

Seems like sour-grapes from Chris on that one. Shanny was always a better player then he.
Chelios probably has sour grapes towards Babs and Shanny. Although, Chelios had a better career than Shanahan. I mean, Chelios won 2 Norris's, was a first-team all-star with 5 first team All-stars and 3 top 10 Hart finishes. Shanahan had two first-team all-stars and no top 10 finishes for the Hart.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Chelios threatened Gary Betteman and his family during a lockout. He's no genius.
The things Chelios says, would you want him anywhere near the Leafs? He seems rather dim. I would not trust him to do/say the right things.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Absolutely loved his game, but he's always been a loose cannon that says stupid things.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The politically deranged (Chelios) will always issues with those with the self control and measure to watch what they do and say.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
I suspect Chelios's assessment of Shanahan there is rooted in how the 2004 NHL lockout was handled.

In that lockout, there was a small but extremely loud group of players who were adamantly against any compromise with the league, and 100% against ever agreeing to any kind of salary cap, and Chelios was one of the most militant members of that group.

Shanahan, on the other hand, was probably part of a group of players who saw that stupid absolutist position was getting them absolutely nowhere, and was willing to negotiate & compromise to get players back on the ice. Which would make him a "politician" in Chelios's eyes.

As for whether or not Chelios is a "crybaby"...I think it's fair to call him one. Back in 2017, he whined to the Detroit media that Babcock didn't like him/treat him fairly, and claimed that no veteran free agents would want to sign on to play for Babcock in Toronto (that hilarious prediction was, of course, followed up by Patrick Marleau & John Tavares signing on to play for Babcock in the next two off-seasons).

And it's pretty amazing that he has this view of Babcock, considering Babcock spent his first three seasons in Detroit playing Chelios in every game for a regular shift, in spite of the fact that Chelios was between 43-46 years of age in those seasons. It wasn't until Chelios hit 47 years of age that Babcock finally pulled the plug on using Chelios as an everyday player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad