Is Cherepanov the next Nikolai Zherdev?

Goaliemon89

CBJ's Future CFO
Apr 7, 2006
Cleveland, OH
The more and more I read about this kid, the more and more I see that parallels Nikolai Zherdev (all the talent in the world, but inconsistant, selfish, and not a team player). Does anyone else see this similarity?

Last edited:

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Jesus, he'll be fine. Zherdev's a guy who needs guidance on a team that manages to destroy awesome talents like Nash and Brule, what do you expect. Give the franchise a bit of time to build properly, or at least clear up that mess and he'll be a good one. Cherepanov should to, other then RLR, I haven't heard anything bad.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
As stated above other then redline nothing negative or nothing of similar sorts has been said about him. There has even been scouts and people who said the opposite about all those negatives one has heard.

Optimist*

Maybe his attitude problems cause a drop in his drafting.... maybe, #10 to Florida? :dunno:

OhioGuy

May 26, 2006
Jesus, he'll be fine. Zherdev's a guy who needs guidance on a team that manages to destroy awesome talents like Nash and Brule, what do you expect. Give the franchise a bit of time to build properly, or at least clear up that mess and he'll be a good one. Cherepanov should to, other then RLR, I haven't heard anything bad.

Wow, it is painfully obvious that you know absolutely nothing about Zherdev and his situation with the Jackets.

Zherdev had the opportunity for "guidance" as you put it, from one of the best all-around players of the last 20 years, Sergei Fedorov. The Jackets took on a horrible contract to give him the "guidance" he needed and what did Zherdev do with this opportunity? He squandered it. The guy is very self-centered and is not a team player. If Sergei Fedorov and Ken Hitchcock, of all the people in the league, can't turn him around, it can't be done. The kid doesn't need guidance, he needs a swift kick in the posterior and if that doesn't work, a one-way ticket back to Moscow.

As far as the team "destroying" Nash and Brule...I'll just assume that you didn't watch a single Jackets game this year and that you are basing this absurd statement on the amount of points each player put up this year.

Cors

Jan 17, 2006
nhl.mybb.ru
The more and more I read about this kid, the more and more I see that parallels Nikolai Zherdev (all the talent in the world, but inconsistant, selfish, and not a team player). Does anyone else see this similarity?

selfish ??? muhaha muhahaha :biglaugh::biglaugh:

which Russian Forward/Wing not selfish ??

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
apparently Zherdev is that , apparently Cherepanov does that ... nanana

I hate when people talk about players like they know how they are

'apparently Getzlaf was too slow and too lazy ':teach:

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Wow, it is painfully obvious that you know absolutely nothing about Zherdev and his situation with the Jackets.

Zherdev had the opportunity for "guidance" as you put it, from one of the best all-around players of the last 20 years, Sergei Fedorov. The Jackets took on a horrible contract to give him the "guidance" he needed and what did Zherdev do with this opportunity? He squandered it. The guy is very self-centered and is not a team player. If Sergei Fedorov and Ken Hitchcock, of all the people in the league, can't turn him around, it can't be done. The kid doesn't need guidance, he needs a swift kick in the posterior and if that doesn't work, a one-way ticket back to Moscow.

As far as the team "destroying" Nash and Brule...I'll just assume that you didn't watch a single Jackets game this year and that you are basing this absurd statement on the amount of points each player put up this year.
Sorry, everything is right with the Columbus franchise and I coulnd't be farther from the truth when saying Nash and Brule haven't been as good as they can be. In fact, Fedorov is not a disapointed, at all, he's an awesome leader and well underpaid. Take off the idiot glasses please, some people have a different take on things then you do.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Sergei was one of the best all around players in the game. It's been a while since he's held that mantle though, and many have critisized him for his laziness and half-assed efforts over the past several years -- criticisms that popped up even before he left Detroit. It's been a long time since he's played to his potential, and I don't know that he's the best person to teach someone how to play the best they can on a nightly basis. In fact, these days I'd say quite the opposite.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Zherdev is actually Ukrainian btw, and I haven't seen many Ukrainians turn into true superstars... He has the talent, but lacks the work ethic, and for Antropov, well he just lacks both. :yo:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
HF posters are getting better and better and finding, identifying and reporting on draft prospects but the one area in which many posters are still in the dark, speculating is on character issues. There are some players in this draft who do have character questions but they are not the ones you might think (ok- one Sudbury player is well-known by everyone and his dog to be under scrutiny but even he and his coach, teammates will be interviewed closely before final decisions are made).

I knew of some players who were completely dropped from an NHL teams' rankings because of character- but most of these were players whose character was never an issue on HF boards or with the scouting agencies.

What many HF posters confuse with character is often 1) an inability to make use of teammates as well as he could, and 2) a player who doesn't play a high-intensity mucking game. You might put Esposito in the former camp and Cherepanov/:eek::eek::eek::eek:i in the latter but their off-ice character, attitudes, desire to win, relations with teammates are (to the best of my knowledge) not problematic. Central/Eastern European forwards in particular try to play a thinking/anticipation game similar to that of soccer strikers but often this is interpreted as lacking character. They play roles rather than the hockey equivalent of a full-court press.

Last edited:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Zherdev is actually Ukrainian btw, and I haven't seen many Ukrainians turn into true superstars... He has the talent, but lacks the work ethic, and for Antropov, well he just lacks both. :yo:

Mention the words talent and Ukrainian in the same sentence and I give you Denis Shvidki.

PhilNadz

Jun 22, 2006
Not to forget he is 18 year old. Kovy needed 4-5 years till he Team Player became

Is he really a team player ? Saw a clip about a month ago, i think it was against the Rangers but he literally let his guy go straight to the net, turned his back and went to the bench.

I remember an ex-player nearly had a seizure trying to explain what kovy was doing right there.

Anybody remember who it was ?

Kaktus*

Please provide the link.

Redline does not like Cherepanov. Who else?

What the hell do you mean inconsistent? He scored more goals then Pavel Bure (playing more games of course). He was a top forward in each international competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad