Is Carlson "due" for a Norris this season?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
2018-2019: No.
2017-2018: No.
2016-2017: Yes.
2015-2016: No.
2014-2015: Yes.
2013-2014: No.
2012-2013: Yes.
2011-2012: Yes.
2010-2011: No.
2009-2010: No.

Not being the leading scorer and winning the Norris has actually happened more in the last 10 years.

Where have you been?

This is some pathetic cherry picking... why don't you find how many defensemen have won it without impressive offensive stats.

The two worst are Doughty in 2016 (51 points) and Chara in 2009 (50 points).

So very clearly, offense helps winning the Norris big time.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is some pathetic cherry picking... why don't you find how many defensemen have won it without impressive offensive stats.

Why should they?

What an odd thing to say. The very description of the award makes it fairly clear.

However, finishing 1st in points doesn't mean you automatically win the award as people around here continuously and erroneously allege.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Why should they?

What an odd thing to say. The very description of the award makes it fairly clear.

However, finishing 1st in points doesn't mean you automatically win the award as people around here continuously and erroneously allege.

But having impressive offensive stats helps you win the Norris, how can anyone possibly dispute this?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But having impressive offensive stats helps you win the Norris, how can anyone possibly dispute this?

That's not what the poster I responded to originally said.

I agree that it helps, but scoring the most points does not lead to a Norris every time.

What's funny is that I'm a defender of offensively-minded defencemen and you're reacting like I'm somehow critical.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There seems to be a stigma that the Norris is a trophy that often lags a few years behind, based on players who had a good season, and have seemingly been in the discussion for a couple years prior.

Well Carlson is off to a good start with 10 points through his first 6 games, and has finished 4th and 5th for the Norris the last 2 seasons. He finished 1st in d-men points in 17/18 and 4th last season. If he leads d-men in points this season, does he win the Norris?

I agree with the lime of thinking and imagine he has a good shot at it this year.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
That's not what the poster I responded to originally said.

I agree that it helps, but scoring the most points does not lead to a Norris every time.

What's funny is that I'm a defender of offensively-minded defencemen and you're reacting like I'm somehow critical.
Lol so what exactly I said then? Asked you where have you been for the last decade? How in the world does that mean that every year of the decade the Norris belonged to a best scorer among defensemen? You re just making assumptions to try and look smartass. I asked you because #1 scorer among defensemen has a very big chance of winning the trophy based on that 10 year sample size. Its not a forgone conclusion that he's going to win it for sure but there's a very big chance.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I’d take Carlson over the current Norris winner Hedman anyday

giphy.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I asked you because #1 scorer among defensemen has a very big chance of winning the trophy based on that 10 year sample size. Its not a forgone conclusion that he's going to win it for sure but there's a very big chance.

There's also a very big chance that winning/getting close to winning the defensive scoring race also means that people will start saying his defence sucks.

Buckle up.

Jun 15, 2007
Another 3 point night with 8 minutes left to play.

I think even if you are average defensively and contribute this much offensively, you have a decent claim to the Norris.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Another 3 point night with 8 minutes left to play.

I think even if you are average defensively and contribute this much offensively, you have a decent claim to the Norris.
It's very early in season but if season ended today he should also get the Hart because he's tied for Art Ross and is defenseman.

Reactions: JenniferH

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It’s crazy how no one seems to be talking about him in the main stream media, including the Washington Post, yet he’s having an absolute beast of a season.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's only "due" for one if another defender has a generational season where that defender does something that hasn't been done by a defenseman in decades but he still wins because the media campaign that started in October determined it was his turn.

The problem with Carlson is that he might deserve it this year and rightfully win it - so there is no way he is "due".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad