Is Carlson "due" for a Norris this season?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Orpik has been a gaping loss on the blue line. Carlson is the only defenseman on the roster playing the same role that he did last season. 3 of the top 4 special teams defensemen on the team didn't start last season on the roster and have fewer than 50 NHL games with the team. Having Orpik would have allowed one more known and stabile quantity and some leadership for those players getting used to new roles.

That role falls to Carlson, who, like all the other defenseman is new to that role.
Orpik was by far the worst dman on the team last year and Seigenthaler is an unmitigated upgrade. The only gaping hole was when he was playing.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Carlson never gets any respect for some reason. Most lists don't even have him as a top 10 defender in the NHL even though he only trails Burns and Hedman for points from the blueline over the last 3 years.

Having said that I just can't picture him as a Norris winner. He provides adequate top pairing defending. Very close and him finishing 4th or 5th in votes seems about right. Maybe if he has a standout year and the other candidates aren't great.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Lets agree to disagree then
I mean Orpik's numbers last year were abysmal, he was EASILY the Capitals worst dman and you can't even dispute it. He played out of body during the Cup run and actually dialed it back to earn the contract, other than that he was an overpaid, out of prime player that often dragged down the pairing he was on and the PK.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I mean Orpik's numbers last year were abysmal, he was EASILY the Capitals worst dman and you can't even dispute it. He played out of body during the Cup run and actually dialed it back to earn the contract, other than that he was an overpaid, out of prime player that often dragged down the pairing he was on and the PK.

Numbers? Which numbers? If you mean the typical analytics, then you cant abide a player of his style. Period. Orpik doesn't get possession and shot numbers. That's not his game and that's not what he does. The Caps didn't win the cup in spite of him. They won because of him. He was solid at a minimum v Carolina as opposed to Niskanen and Orlov and Seigenthaler couldn't have carried his gear bag.

This is a Carlson thread. IF you want to go further down this rabbit hole, you can PM me

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
There seems to be a stigma that the Norris is a trophy that often lags a few years behind, based on players who had a good season, and have seemingly been in the discussion for a couple years prior.

Well Carlson is off to a good start with 10 points through his first 6 games, and has finished 4th and 5th for the Norris the last 2 seasons. He finished 1st in d-men points in 17/18 and 4th last season. If he leads d-men in points this season, does he win the Norris?
I thought it goes to the best defenceman not to the guy who is "due"?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Carlson never gets any respect for some reason. Most lists don't even have him as a top 10 defender in the NHL even though he only trails Burns and Hedman for points from the blueline over the last 3 years.

Having said that I just can't picture him as a Norris winner. He provides adequate top pairing defending. Very close and him finishing 4th or 5th in votes seems about right. Maybe if he has a standout year and the other candidates aren't great.

It’s probably because he isn’t a top ten defenseman. I dunno.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Numbers? Which numbers? If you mean the typical analytics, then you cant abide a player of his style. Period. Orpik doesn't get possession and shot numbers. That's not his game and that's not what he does. The Caps didn't win the cup in spite of him. They won because of him. He was solid at a minimum v Carolina as opposed to Niskanen and Orlov and Seigenthaler couldn't have carried his gear bag.

This is a Carlson thread. IF you want to go further down this rabbit hole, you can PM me
Then use intangibles where he was consistently victimized in his supposed role of clearing the crease, he couldn't even do that well. I'll never get Orpik defenders because outside of being a good locker room guy, he's been at best mediocre throughout his entire bloated contract. He was out of his prime when the Caps signed him. Now they won a Cup with him and he played his best hockey for the team in the that run, otherwise he was a bad dman however you want to cut it and hurt every blue liner he was paired with.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
In order to win the Norris he has to have a season like Kucherovs last year but by defensemen standard. If Kuch wouldn't have got over 120+ pts, they would have given all the trophies to Mcdavid because you know, by default all the trophies gifted to him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is going to sound ass-backwards but I have been a fan of Carlson since he scored the winning goal against us in the 2010 WJC. He played for London, so I kind of knew who he was and wanted him to succeed but after that goal for some reason I just gained a whole new respect for him, even tho he beat us. Ever since I've been watching his career & was pretty happy when he finally started gaining some recognition the last couple years.

Had a really good playoffs in 2018 too, 20 points in 24 games as a defenseman.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He's already had 68 and 70 seasons. I can see him putting up an 80 point season and also getting the Norris.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Somebody promised Justin Schultz the Norris quite a while ago so I feel like if anybody is due it has to be him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Where have you been the last 10 years?

2018-2019: No.
2017-2018: No.
2016-2017: Yes.
2015-2016: No.
2014-2015: Yes.
2013-2014: No.
2012-2013: Yes.
2011-2012: Yes.
2010-2011: No.
2009-2010: No.

Not being the leading scorer and winning the Norris has actually happened more in the last 10 years.

Where have you been?

Reactions: MadLuke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->