Is Carlson "due" for a Norris this season?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That ship has sailed. Too many injuries and brain cramps. He still piles up the points though.

Carlson will never win one but he may get one or two more top three placements.

Letang was amazing last season. if he can play all 82 games he has a very good shot. best overall Dman in the east last season.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
To answer your question no he isn't due.

With 31 teams in the league it's hard for a guy like Karlsson to win the Norris.

He is forsure a top 5ish to 1ish dman in the league but he just doesn't have that aura about him for some reason.

You know who is "due for a Norris" this season?

Kris Letang.
Completely agree on the Letang part, he was amazing last year. I just think that if Carlson, or even Letang lead D in points, their past reputation could win them the Norris, even though they aren't the best defensively like a Doughty or Giordano.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
I would vote for Hamilton for two reasons: a) he is playing superbly this year; b) he deserves it for all the **** he has been getting throughout his career for no apparent reason.
The thing about Hamilton is that he actually drives play for his team, doesn't just put up points/powerplay points.

Reactions: cptjeff

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
thumb.aspx

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
For what it's worth too, so far Carlson has 10 points, whereas Ovi and Backstrom (2nd and 3rd on the team in scoring) only have 5 points each. He's been our best and most consistent player so far.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Carlson isn’t anywhere near as bad as some of his major detractors on here would have you believe - but I would be surprised if he ever wins a Norris.

To win it - I think he’d have to put up a ridiculous season in terms of points and have it happen in a year where there’s a lack of an other consensus option.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Carlson isn’t anywhere near as bad as some of his major detractors on here would have you believe - but I would be surprised if he ever wins a Norris.

To win it - I think he’d have to put up a ridiculous season in terms of points and have it happen in a year where there’s a lack of an other consensus option.
Let me guess... a year like this one.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He has been a force. Reminds me of a modern Brian Rafalski.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's obviously on the radar with where he has been in Norris voting the past couple of years. Another strong start. If he has 65+ points and a strong +/- he'll be in the conversation.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He's not the best defenseman, nor has he ever been. I guess he could win one in an everybody gets an award sort of way though.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Holland stated Dmen need to learn to generate offence without sacrificing defence.

the primary role of a defenceman is to defend.
Carlson
Looking at top 186 ( top 6) (650 ev min) evga/60 rank
17/18 2.94 evga/60 36th worst D
18/19 3.42 evga/60 10th worst D

Norris?
Really!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson has been top 5 in Norris and post season all star voting the past two seasons. He is an all situations defenseman. His team is good when using him in that way. This idea that he is a one dimensional offensive, pass it to Ov, defenseman is silly. That said. He plays for the Capitals. Its not really a career advantage.

Tame Impala

Apr 11, 2015
Carlson was one of the top 5 Norris candidates before the season even started. It's weird how most people itt are saying that he's not good enough at defending, well who are your other favorites? It's always the same names before every season if you look at bookmakers odds, which are a pretty solid indicator: Burns, Karlsson, Letang... not exactly names that are known for their defensive skills.

To win the Norris, you need to have a very stellar +/-. A Burns or a Karlsson needs probably 10 points more than the best less offence-oriented defenseman to actually win it. I'm not sure where Carlson stands there, but I have a hunch he's seen as a bit more defensively responsible doesn't even need a supersick season to win it.

If Carlson wins the points race this year and gets a +30 type +/-, I'll be completely shocked if he doesn't win it.

It's also noteworthy that it helps if you're on a team where you're very clearly the lone star defenceman. For example, it might be tough for someone like Hedman to win it this year, because the TB blueline is just so stacked. Same applies for the Nashville guys, and to Karlsson and Burns -- even if SJS redeem themselves and they both put up near-PPG seasons, neither of them might not win because the votes would split between them if they had identical seasons.

Carlson is very clearly the #1 defenceman in Washington, same as Letang in Pittsburgh, Jones in CBJ, Doughty in LA, etc. I'm not saying those are the favorites, just that it clearly plays in their favor.

To win the Norris you usually need to:
1) Have a better +/- than most other candidates
2) Be in the top10, possibly top5 in defensemen scoring
3) Be the best defenceman of your team by a mile
4) Have your team go to the playoffs.

My money this year is bet on Carlson at 17:1, Hamilton at 47:1, and Letang at 20:1. Hamilton didn't really tick most boxes, but seemed like a good surprise option. Wouldn't have recommended that bet to others, but Carlson at 15:1+ is a value bet because of the lack of competition nowadays.

I think Burns can still be a threat if EK keeps being trash and he puts up 90 points. He came 2nd last year, at some point you just have to get the nod when you consistently outscore others by a mile. Letang I think might get a career award Norris if he's top5 in scoring and no one else really stands out, won't be the first time that happens. Carlson I think is the most complete package, I don't mean as a defenceman but from his "Norris-worthiness attributes"; e.g. on a good team, clear #1 on his team, will likely get a strong +/-, will likely be top5 in points. But I think he suffers a bit from not being a household name like Letang or Hedman. I still think he has a great shot this year if he stays healthy.

Someone like Jones could shock us all too if CBJ defy expectations and he has a PPG season. I could see Josi having a strong showing too.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hard to be due when you've never even finished in the top three in voting. I wouldn't be shocked if Carlson won the trophy if he leads defencemen in scoring, but I'm not a fan of his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad