Is Carlson "due" for a Norris this season?

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
There seems to be a stigma that the Norris is a trophy that often lags a few years behind, based on players who had a good season, and have seemingly been in the discussion for a couple years prior.

Well Carlson is off to a good start with 10 points through his first 6 games, and has finished 4th and 5th for the Norris the last 2 seasons. He finished 1st in d-men points in 17/18 and 4th last season. If he leads d-men in points this season, does he win the Norris?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There seems to be a stigma that the Norris is a trophy that often lags a few years behind, based on players who had a good season, and have seemingly been in the discussion for a couple years prior.

Well Carlson is off to a good start with 10 points through his first 6 games, and has finished 4th and 5th for the Norris the last 2 seasons. He finished 1st in d-men points in 17/18 and 4th last season. If he leads d-men in points this season, does he win the Norris?

To answer your question no he isn't due.

With 31 teams in the league it's hard for a guy like Karlsson to win the Norris.

He is forsure a top 5ish to 1ish dman in the league but he just doesn't have that aura about him for some reason.

You know who is "due for a Norris" this season?

Kris Letang.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
norris has some "lifetime achievement award" functionality to it unfortunately. It started with Lidstrom winning it in 2011 and then Doughty recently. However, Carlson is not someone who fits that criteria either.

I don't know why people always point to Lidstrom winning in 11 as a lifetime achievment award.

He was second in dman points that year, 6 points behind Lubomir Visnovsky who had 68 points but was 4th in Norris voting.

Weber was a close 2nd in voting that year but it wasn't like he or Chara, who was close 3rd in Norris voting, were lights out that year either.

Reactions: Teemu and newfy

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
I don't know why people always point to Lidstrom winning in 11 as a lifetime achievment award.

He was second in dman points that year, 6 points behind Lubomir Visnovsky who had 68 points but was 4th in Norris voting.

Weber was a close 2nd in voting that year but it wasn't like he or Chara, who was close 3rd in Norris voting, were lights out that year either.

Points shouldn't really matter as a defenseman. And although i dont care much for +/- but he was a -2 which was 7th worse on the team. He played 23:30 minutes per game and had almost 40 of his points on the powerplay. He also had the 4th worse possession numbers on his team.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I wouldn't say he's due but he's been having monster seasons over the past 3 years including a dominant cup run, he's on the shortlist of annual contenders.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You know who is "due for a Norris" this season?

Kris Letang.

That ship has sailed. Too many injuries and brain cramps. He still piles up the points though.

Carlson will never win one but he may get one or two more top three placements.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

That's the Selke you're describing.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Points shouldn't really matter as a defenseman. And although i dont care much for +/- but he was a -2 which was 7th worse on the team. He played 23:30 minutes per game and had almost 40 of his points on the powerplay. He also had the 4th worse possession numbers on his team.

Honestly the voters in 2011 wouldn't have even considered the possession numbers and Lidstrom was still doing some heavy lifting on defense.
Also like I stated above it's not like he ran away with the norris either the votes for the top 4 guys broke down like this

Probably the closest and least overwelming Norris victory ever off the top of my head.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I would vote for Hamilton for two reasons: a) he is playing superbly this year; b) he deserves it for all the shit he has been getting throughout his career for no apparent reason.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yep, its a pretty bad narrative on that Norris that gets brought up by people who thought Weber was due because he was always near the top of the league but never did anything to separate himself from the rest of the pack at the top.

Lidstrom was still doing the heavy lifting defensively on Detroit and outproduced Weber by a solid amount. Lidstrom played more time short handed than Weber per game and didnt have close to a Suter/Rinne tandem to help him look good. Weber didnt even have as many first place votes as Chara so the whole Weber shoulda won in 2011 shoulda died a long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->